User Tag List

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't become more headlight, it becomes more handle-heavy, I'm afraid the faster swinging you are talking about is a placebo effect. The weight in the head stays the same, so it can't become more headlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dokkie View Post
    It doesn't become more headlight, it becomes more handle-heavy, I'm afraid the faster swinging you are talking about is a placebo effect. The weight in the head stays the same, so it can't become more headlight.
    I know it doesn't become more headlight, it just feels more headlight because it swings faster.
    As for it swinging faster, it definitely does and I know thats a fact because when I defend without the tape, its really hard and sluggish, but with the tape, it's just sooo much faster and easier. The same with wrist smashes, without the tape, it's really hard to do because of the long shaft and head heaviness.

The same thing happens when you add an overgrip, but I was just suggesting this to the guy from hk because he said that it will make the grip too fat. It's just an alternate solution

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all this has more to do with grip size. I don't believe that by adding weight swinging will be easier. it's just a placebo effect I'm sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all this has more to do with grip size. I don't believe that by adding weight swinging will be easier. it's just a placebo effect I'm sure.
    I just explained that it's not. It's not like putting jjs' signature on the handle so it makes you think you can play like him. Now that's what a placebo effect is. By adding tape to the handle, you're actually adding weight to a part of the racket which will make it perform differently.

For example a golf club. Swing it around in the air, it's hard isn't it? now grab the head then swing the handle around, easier isn't it? Although it may be a little bit exaggerated, the tape works on a badminton racket because it's light and that little bit of weight does change slightly.

There's many things that I can do with the tape that I can't do without it, for example backhand clears with just the wrist, wrist smashes, fast drives etc. Without it, it's just too heavy and hard to do fast shots with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tried several times putting tape on the wood, never felt different to me mate, seriously. Itīs simple physiscs you say, but I say the same thing to you.
    Ok, I appreciate that you've actually tried this and felt nothing different, instead of just saying it for the sake of an argument. I've played badminton for quite some time now experimenting with many different rackets and tweaking the balance like putting lead tape or normal tape on the handle or head, and i'm experienced enough to be able to tell that there's a difference, even if it is slight.
    It's just a suggestion to one of the forumers, if he feels that it works, then i'm happy that it has helped him. Unfortunately adding weights may not have changed anything for you, but it has with me and many other badminton players (in different forums talking about lead tape etc.). That is all, thanks for your input though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Like that, I've been tweakin my rackets a lot. I'll probably try the tape thing again any time soon, you made me wonder a little bit haha Thanks for the conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Like that, I've been tweakin my rackets a lot. I'll probably try the tape thing again any time soon, you made me wonder a little bit haha Thanks for the conversation.
    Haha anytime, I think you should give it a try, maybe you weren't wrapping enough tape on, although it works best with head heavy rackets if you want to speed it up for doubles

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My SW35 should be good for this haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matsu_des View Post
    I've played badminton for quite some time now experimenting with many different rackets and tweaking the balance like putting lead tape or normal tape on the handle or head, and i'm experienced enough to be able to tell that there's a difference, even if it is slight.
    can u share a picture of your racket how u do it? a lot forumer suggest this, but none of them clearly show how to do it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riffsuad View Post
    can u share a picture of your racket how u do it? a lot forumer suggest this, but none of them clearly show how to do it..
    I tried it with my own method; by taping a coin to the bottom of the butt and it worked.

I guess this has something to do with moment of inertia.

Imagine holding a hammer at the edge of the handle and trying to pronate it like you would with a racket.

Then imagine holding the hammer closer to the hammer head and pronate it.

The second case would feel easier since you are rotating the hammer closer to the centre of gravity.

Similar effect is achieve if you add weight below where you grip since you are shifting the centre of gravity closer to your grip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shooka View Post

Similar effect is achieve if you add weight below where you grip since you are shifting the centre of gravity closer to your grip.
    owh... thnks for info. by doing this, does it decrease your smashing power?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riffsuad View Post
    I do not have my rackets with me at the moment as I am home for christmas, but its just like wrapping a normal overgrip onto the wooden handle, but with tape, it's really simple. Just remember to put a little extra at the bottom.

As for the power, (it's complicated but i'll try my best to explain) when you swing the racket (whether it's a smash or clear), as the head moves forward, the extra weight in the handle should propel the handle in the opposite direction (especially if there's weight towards the bottom of the handle) which should in-turn push the head to travel faster as the shaft tries to snap back into shape. As the weight of the head does not change by adding weight to the handle, there is more force when you hit the shuttle, which should translate into a faster shot. (Wristy players should love this)

The main benefits that I discovered with the added weight is mainly in doubles situations where the racket is a lot faster in defence, at the net, drives and wrist smashes. However if you only play singles, then you may not need the extra speed and prefer a head heavy feeling. But it's pretty much down to preference. I myself just adapted to the faster swing speeds with the head heavy rackets in singles, and I gotta add, its a lot easier to hit clears/backhand clears to the back of the court when the shuttle has gone past you and you're in trouble because all you need is a short snap of the wrist.

Anyways, this is just from my own experience. It's just my solution to being able to use a powerful heavy-headed racket in a doubles game without being afraid that it's too sluggish and not fast enough.

Feel free to try it out, and let me know if it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shooka View Post
    I tried it with my own method; by taping a coin to the bottom of the butt and it worked.

I guess this has something to do with moment of inertia.

Imagine holding a hammer at the edge of the handle and trying to pronate it like you would with a racket.

Then imagine holding the hammer closer to the hammer head and pronate it.

The second case would feel easier since you are rotating the hammer closer to the centre of gravity.

You are exactly right honestly speaking, i tried that once a while ago but it was just too heavy and I could feel it sometimes and felt like it was going to fly out. But now i figured the best way is just to wrap a bit more tape around the butt then up the handle a few inches.
    Good imagination though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just had my third session of play with the SW35 today and thing went much better this time round. In the first two sessions, the combination of racket stiffness and head-heaviness clearly put effective use of the SW35 beyond me.

Taking matsu_des' advice, i put athletic tape around the grip, taking the balance point right down to 285mm. Something about this setup seemed to click for me. I am now able to produce around the same racket-head speed with my smashes as I am able to with my medium stiff 290mm balance point rackets.

As a result, the shuttle flies off my racket at speeds considerably faster than in the previous two sessions. Clears, forehand and backhand, are no more difficult to hit to the back of the court and it's much more maneuverable at the net.

The only downer from my perspective is that the grip is now massive, too big at least for these short stubby fingers to produce results from compromised situations. Fortunately, a friend of mine has some lead sticky things which are usually applied to the racket head for more head-heaviness, so I'll be looking forward to using those to get my thin grip back.

I hope progress will continue and that I grow to love this racket like many of you who do right now. Cheers, matsu_des.

The last thing is that I can't wait for these strings to break because I want to have a go with my beloved BG65Ti. Anyone have opinions of VS-800 versus BG65Ti?
    Last edited by xofrevlis; 01-03-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xofrevlis View Post
    I've just had my third session of play with the SW35 today and thing went much better this time round. In the first two sessions, the combination of racket stiffness and head-heaviness clearly put effective use of the SW35 beyond me.

Taking matsu_des' advice, i put athletic tape around the grip, taking the balance point right down to 285mm. Something about this setup seemed to click for me. I am now able to produce around the same racket-head speed with my smashes as I am able to with my medium stiff 290mm balance point rackets.

As a result, the shuttle flies off my racket at speeds considerably faster than in the previous two sessions. Clears, forehand and backhand, are no more difficult to hit to the back of the court and it's much more maneuverable at the net.

The only downer from my perspective is that the grip is now massive, too big at least for these short stubby fingers to produce results from compromised situations. Fortunately, a friend of mine has some lead sticky things which are usually applied to the racket head for more head-heaviness, so I'll be looking forward to using those to get my thin grip back.

I hope progress will continue and that I grow to love this racket like many of you who do right now. Cheers, matsu_des.

The last thing is that I can't wait for these strings to break because I want to have a go with my beloved BG65Ti. Anyone have opinions of VS-800 versus BG65Ti?
    I'm happy to hear that it went well for you
    As for the fat grip, maybe you put too much tape on haha, mines at 290mm.
    I'm not sure about the lead tape on the head, i think that the sw35 is already extremely powerful.
    But up to you, let me know how it goes, last time I tried it, it just felt weird for me, so i ended up just putting tape on the head instead, works just the same i think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess some lead tape on the butt end is probably the easiest way to change your set up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want to try SW 35.... specification seems just my type. what would you say the balance point is?
    what string do you guys use? I hope that the frame is heavier than BS12.

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast