How to return a short serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jamil Adesso, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Jamil Adesso

Jamil Adesso New Member

Hello,

Can any one give any advice how I should return short serves? My opponent keeps serving short at every time. The serve is so low that I am not sure if it helps anything to intercept the serve at the point when the shuttle just passes the net. What should I do? Should I just come closer to the net so that I can reach the point where the shuttle just barely passes the net?

My solution so far is to lift it high back, but this is not a very good solution as my opponent either hit high back or make a drop shot.

Also one question, while receiving the serve, is it legal to stand between the net and the serving line on my side? Or must I stand always behind the serving line too?

Thank you in advance. Any advice/strategy against the short serves is welcome.

Mike

2. daiqi

daiqi Regular Member

intercept it early and hit it down the line.
    and yes it is illegal

3. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    Are you talking about singles?

My best advice would be to watch some vidoes (youtube) and look how it's done in reality.

What do your opponents do to you when you serve short? How do you deal with their shots?

4. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    I'm assuming singles, which makes intercepting a short serve very difficult.

For doubles reacting and intercepting is indeed key.

5. daiqi

daiqi Regular Member

o u mean singles??? in which case lift cross court and move into the base position

6. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

in doubles, you want to hit it down the side alleys between where the server and their partner is standing.

7. LordKevinX

LordKevinX Regular Member

Junior Player/U19
    It all depends on your skill level as well. If this is during singles, for me personally, i'd be happy if i was being short served to. (Depends on the opponents level as well). Anyway, if they short serve, you really have plenty of options.

-Flat lift to the back corners
    -Spinning net return
    -Push to back
    -Rush net
    -High lift to the back corners

etc.

It all depends on what you want from their next return. If they short serve in singles, and you want the attack, play a spinning net return , wait a bit closer to the net (incase of a net shot reply), but be expecting a lift. Wait for the lift and LIN DAN that !!!
    :D as in intercept/or whatever. :)

A serves a serve. It all depends on how you return it and what you want out of your return. :)