Backhand Usage

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nuetronist, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

A lot of threads pop up about how to do a backhand smash, clear or whatnot. And on each of these threads someone is there to say that a backhand should by no means be the first priotirty when going for those kinds of shots - rather, if possible, an around the head shot should be played.

Now, in the past while I have been working on my backhand; my backhand clears can go from baseline to baseline and my backhand smash is decent (by no means a finisher, but pretty good angle and speed) and same with my backhand drop.

I was playing with a buddy yesterday, and I noticed that he played a lot to my backhand side (maybe becuase he was left handed? I am not sure). And I found that either my footwork was lacking or something else, but I was not able to get into position for an around the head shot on most of his drives - I found myself repeatedly turned around doing backhand lifts/drives or something of that nature.

I was wondering if it is even possible to be able to get into position for an around the head shot on an offensive clear, and if so, how to train for it and the footwork for it.

NOTE: I do not do the split drop subconsciously during games, an aspect which I am working on.

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    as much as everyone says dont use backhand unless you absolutely have to....the higher level you proceed with badminton the faster the game picks up. In most cases it is very difficult to get a good consistant round the head stroke going everytime the shuttle goes that way.

Strengthen your backhand and use it regularly and when the opportunity arises use good footwork to get into position early for a round the head shot or jump smash to surprise your opponent.

But in all honesty use your backhand lots its more comfortable and u use less energy than forcing the awkward footwork you would use in a round the head stroke.

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

In singles, where the players are handed differently then there would be less opportunity to exploit the backhand rear corners due to the fact that all straight shots will be handed the same. If you are comfortable in clearing and cross dropping from your backhand then dont be afraid to use it, and show your opponent that you're capable, he will then find it harder to anticipate forward to the net. If you clear straight then you;re hitting to his backhand corner which should give you a better chance to recover your position. If he then does "round the head forehand" you'll be able to exploit his forehand net area.
    You must improve your split drop/pretension jump which will speed up your direction change and help to arrive earlier giving you more options such as "round the head", and still be able to recover back to base without spending too much energy.

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    You need to be able to hit the "late" backhand clear. No matter how good your footwork, you are occasionally going to be forced to hit a defensive shot after the shuttle has already gone past you.

However, if you have the opportunity to take the shuttle early and high on the backhand side (if a backhand smash is an option, for example), then you should always try to play a round-the-head shot - it will be more accurate and much more powerful.
    Also, because there is the possibility of you hitting the more powerful round-the-head smash, your opponent has to respect that - meaning you can be more deceptive.

5. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    i used to be a frequent backhand user too till i injured my wrist with those killing backhand smashes :cool:. Now i try to use less wrist and i have to do the overhead if i dont want it to hurt anymore :crying:. You can pretend your backhand is injured and use only forehand to practice :). Dont care if it is weak or someting like that just practice and youll get it right. ;)

6. Armortec2010

Armortec2010 Regular Member

I use backhands when playing with lesser opponents or practising, because in games, no matter how good your footwork is, you'll face situations in which a backhand is necessary. (disguised flick or flat push...); but when you gear up in footwork, backhand is used less and less.

although backhand smash can caught the opponent by surprise, it is around the head jump smash(or punch clear) that stops them from pushing to your backhand corner.

7. kjw96

kjw96 Regular Member

How would you describe an 'around the head jump smash'? Would you need to fully turn your body in order for power or would you do it without turning your body simply because there is no time?