Partnering a weak player

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by FemaleJock, Oct 5, 2009.

1. FemaleJock

FemaleJock New Member

My ladies doubles partner is a beginner and keeps getting attacked throughout the game.

She is weak at the back and better at the front while I can play both front and back.

I asked her to serve low and go to the front and guard the net.

Then to try to net as much as possible on return shots.

I try to play mixed doubles style as much as possible.

Are there other ways to prevent people from attacking her all the time?

2. Random-person1

Random-person1 New Member

Student
    never clear?
    15chars

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    only way to prevent it is keeping your side on the attack. Flat pushes, tight net shots (away from the net player).
    The goal of mixed doubles is to attack the girl or the weaker player. Dont give them the opportunity to attack and your problem is solved.

4. BadYankee

BadYankee Regular Member

hiker
    Yes, the first game strategy in Badminton Doubles is to bombard the weaker opponents player. You are right for her to serve low and stay at front and man the net. Better teach her to kill and drive shots on the return as your opponents would be dropping shots and net playing!
    Then if ever she found herself at the back returning clear and lob shots, tell her to cross smash/clear so the reply of your opponents would be likely on your view.;)

5. FemaleJock

FemaleJock New Member

Thanks for the tip, will try it out and update.

6. FemaleJock

FemaleJock New Member

Thanks for the input!

7. FemaleJock

FemaleJock New Member

Yes yes, will teach her how to cross smash/clear so that the likelihood that the return shot is on my side of the court is higher.

8. makapili

makapili Regular Member

Police
    It should always be a front/back position for you. She (the weaker) at the front and you at the back most of the game.
    Her shots, as I assume only has the basic skills of hitting the shuttlecock, with smashing, killing, dropping, netting still to be desired.
    Better for both of you for her to hit and return shots low, fast and far at the back!
    You must domineer and handle your game. You must assume the winning shots and smashes. Very important to voice out the order who will take the shot and position!;)

9. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Just a quick point here, if your partner is a beginner you probably shouldn't ask her to cross-court clear for the simple reason that she probably doesn't have the experience to accurately place it so that it doesn't get absolutely destroyed. I'd just keep her attacking down the midline, that should produce an acute enough lift for you to get in and finish it off. Keep her at the front as much as possible because you will obviously have better footwork and can move easier at the back. If her netplay isn't ideal just encourage her to get nice and close at the net and just play deep pushes.