How do you tire an opponent???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kirbit316, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Kirbit316

Kirbit316 Regular Member

Student
    What's the best way to tire out an opponent knowing they are more fit than you? :eek::confused:

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    bit of a simple question...............

what makes a badminton player tired? Constant movement? Longer rallys?

Im sure it doesnt take a genious to work out moving your opponent side to side front to back and remaining consistant to keep the rallys longer; will tire them out.

3. Kirbit316

Kirbit316 Regular Member

Student
    Sorry i meant what kind of shots.

hmmm... I just like posting random threads just to waste time.

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Not a good idea because you waste other people's time too.

Essentially, use drops to bring people forward, clears to bring them to the back, flatter clears (attacking/punch clears) to bring them to the back faster, and strokes to the sides make them move to the sides.

It's simple:

Hit far to make them run back
    hit short to make them run forward
    Hit left so they have to go left
    Hit right so they have to go right

Why so confused...?:confused::confused:

5. Kirbit316

Kirbit316 Regular Member

Student
    What?

I'm not confused. :confused::p

6. Kirbit316

Kirbit316 Regular Member

Student
    Thx :) __________________

7. Keios

Keios Regular Member

Student
    Am i the only one who is wondering whether it is possible for someone to tire out a opponent who is physically fitter than themselves in badminton using the 21 point scoring system? Since unless you are very consistent and able to retrieve the shots he places then won't you run out of steam first? :D

8. Serendibb

Serendibb Regular Member

I'm sure you can tire a physically fitter opponent. It just depends on the difference in your skill level. If you can read your opponent's game, you'll be able to anticipate / position yourself in areas of the court where it's easier to reach shots made by the opposite.

Furthermore, if your opponent cannot read your game, he'll have to return to the physical centre of the court everytime and react to your short.

Put it this way, (although extreme) if my opponent can only hit at most to the midcourt and clears 80% of the time, I'm sure even if he's a marathon runner, I'll outlast him if I could send the shuttles to 4 corners of the court.:)

9. Keios

Keios Regular Member

Student
    Whilst i agree in theory, i assumed that the original poster wanted to be able to drain the stamina of the person he was playing against since his own stamina was not as high. therefore the play to the four corners as you say would work on people of a low playing standard, those of a higher level will also be employing the same tactics to tire out the original poster if that makes sense. So say they OP's opponent is and himself are at the same skill level, but one has say 100 points on stamina and the other has 75 would it not be sensible to assume if they play a game where the person with a lower stamina is trying to outlast the person with a higher stamina that this course of action would not be the most effective?

Of course, if the op has better skills than his more physically fit opponent, then why bother tiring him out when he can use his skills to play winning shots?

10. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I would use 4-point Strategy to tire my opponent, that is if you can command the rally long enough. Chen Jin is pretty good when it comes to hitting all 4 corners.

11. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

Yeah agree with gemcat. Observe your opponent backhand skill. If he's weak, exploit his backhand side more often, then he'll tire faster. Dont smash his weak backhand clear if the situation possible ( go for backline corner lob or a dropshot ) so that for the next point he'll even more tired

Run baby run :))

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

There is stamina and skill, then there is strategy. Not all shots take up the same amount of energy, and it's not possible to say any 2 person are equally skilled -- they may be almost the same level but are better at different things. It's not uncommon to see players defend their way to victory against stronger smashers who had more stamina, or others simply placing their better stamina opponents out of breathe.

The common strategies are alternate corners (to stretch movement) and concentrated shots (to stretch directional changes). Gollum wrote a pretty good guide about this topic.

The reason to wear your opponent thinner despite you having the advantage of skill is to remove some of the sharpness. A strategically aware opponent may just try to do the same to you to remove any advantage you might have skillwise.

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Make him have to change directions. That's the best way to tire them out. Doesn't matter what kind of shots, as long as he has to stop and start.

14. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

I think that one very big area has been missed. The amount of time you have to reach the shuttle dictates how much energy you expend on getting to it as well as the distance and your shot choice. Using decpetion to make your opponent shift thier body weight perhaps twice for a shot (forwards and backwards for a drop to clear) every so often is extremely tiring. As to reach the shuttle alot more effort has to be put in.

15. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

I think it really depends on the ability of your opponent. If they have less ability than you then just play diagonals against them until they figure it out, at which point just switch it out to the other side. If they're predicting your shots then I think Jafffa is right, just use deception to mix it up.

16. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I think i will use the left , right long rally and drop shot also for the 2 corners shot. Then when opponent use high clearance shot, then its time to use the Lin dan 's up the air smash on your opponent, corner, cross court. :D