How to get your partner to listen

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TedTheFarmer, Oct 6, 2009.

1. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

The local county league started a few weeks ago. I've been paired with a girl in my team who, lets say, doesn't really get the point of advice. She definitely has the ability, but she just doesn't want to know any advice I have to give and it's beginning to really have a down-turn on our scores. How can I get her to listen so that when we get into the tough matches we can adapt and win?

2. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    I think this will all come down to your communication skill .......
    Maybe some books will help .......
    I am not taking a piss at you but this is what i feel ......
    Good luck !!!!!:D:D:D:D

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    it is not easy to make your partner understand during or before or after games. he/she is so used to their own tactic or game play. it takes time and patience.

4. TedTheFarmer

As far as I can see it seems like it's going to be tough. As she only attends the single training night as apposed to most of us who attend multiple training nights through the week, so I can only really talk to her about tactics on 1 night. I also feel like she is only listening to our coach and simply has no respect towards anyone else willing to help her. I'll see what happens on our next match night and if it continues I guess I'm just going to have to ask for a new partner.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    for a guy, buy him a beer, for a gal, buy her some ice cream

6. raceto21

raceto21 Regular Member

it would be tough if she doesnt have any respect towards anyone else. maybe you can ask whomever she respects to be your voice and course your suggestions thru that person.
    personally, i would not listen to anyone who hasnt earned my respect. with my limited experience i found there are people who think they are better than they really are and these are the same annoying people who give you unsolicited advise- sometimes even poor advise.
    your case is different though since being partnered for a tourney you have a common goal and there should be good communication between you two.
    a friend of mine told me before that she can play with 95% of players in the club, the other 5% she cant- so she said "why should i play and stick to that 5%."
    i guess you cant change partners, right? anyway, hope things turn out for the better for you.

7. TedTheFarmer

I'm not trying to make her do things that obviously at our level aren't possible. All I advise while we're playing mixed is that once she lifts at the net that she moves back a little, because its harder to return a smash well when you're having to cover the entire court. I'm not an arrogant player, in fact a lot of people call me over-passive when I'm playing, and I haven't done anything to offend her. I guess she just isn't taking competitive badminton as seriously as the rest of us.

8. vming

vming Regular Member

Engineer
    Ask her to watch the way international mixed double players do (LeeYongDae & HaJungEun, ChengBo & MaJin, NovaWidianto & LilianaNatsir, etc).

While both of you are watching the videos/live, you can tell her what you want her to be improved to.

9. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    If and only if she is actually taking badminton serious then she'll start to listen to other advice. It doesn't matter if its a bad one or a good one she'll still listen. After the listening she can interpret the advice (hope i spelled the word correctly or using the word in the right way) Anyway, If she's not serious then there is no way she'll listen because why bother? It just waste of her time.
    And of course I think it is a waste of ur time to find answer how to make your partner listen to you. I think you should just find another partner. Find the one that really want to improve. That person will listen to you. However, don't get mad if that person doesn't listen to your idiot advice after he or she heard it. At that point on it about the advice is worth to listen or not.

10. ALERIN

ALERIN Regular Member

+1

:)

11. TedTheFarmer

Yea you guys are right, I don't think she's really taking it seriously enough for competitive badminton. I'll see what I can do about a different partner if she continues like this, because (and I don't wanna sound selfish here) I don't want to be held back by someone who thinks less of the game than I do.

12. Scanner

Scanner Regular Member

Accounts
    when it comes to character it's hard to change. if you have tried your
    best to communicate with her so be it. why stress up. change a new
    partner who is willing to listen. have a good game.

cheers