BG70Pro Tension drop approximate?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Ichiigo, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Ichiigo

Ichiigo Regular Member

I've tried BG65, 80, and 85 but all lose tension way too fast to my liking. After a week or two I considerably lose a lot of control over my shots. I've been stringing at 24lbs for quite a while but I find that after a week or two the tension on my strings drop to the point where I can move the strings with my fingers very easily . I've been thinking switching to BG70Pro but I've had bad experience with it when I was still a beginner a few years back. I probably strung it at 20lbs at the time and I found it dead, no feel, no power. I cut it after my first day with it.

Now, my question is : If I string it with BG70Pro on a AS10, what tension should I use? More like, what tension would be ideal so that with time even if the string loses its tension, I would still be able to play good shots. How much tension does the BG70Pro lose and in how much time? I have a tournament in 2 weeks and I will probably string it at either 25lbs or 26lbs. I'm more interested to see what 26lbs feels like but I'm scared that it'll be too much. Not that I have a weak arm or anything but by experience, when I have passed from 20-21 to 22-23-24 my wrist wasn't comfortable hitting at that tension right away. It felt too hard. I believe the same thing will happen if I pass from 24 directly to 26. Can I ask the stringer to string at 25.5lbs? Can I even ask that to him or will he laugh at me? Or, is the BG70Pro good enough at keeping its tension and stringing it at 25lbs will be sufficient?

Thanks for helping.

#1 Ichiigo, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

FWIW, I too found a huge tension drop with BG65 and so a stringer recommended BG70Pro. I had him string two of my racket at 25 lbs and found that they held tension very well. There may have been a slight drop in tension (up to 1 lb maybe?) but nowhere near BG65. (From Panda's comments elsewhere, it seems you can avoid or minimize tension drop by pre-stretching the strings, but that will depend on the stringer and if they are willing to do this.) In any case the 70Pro lasted for 3-4 months between the two rackets 2-3 times a week (2hrs avg each) at strong intermediate playing level with mostly plastic shuttles.

I could see the strings starting to tear at the crosses so I knew they were going to break soon. Sure enough, on a smash (probably slight mis-hit towards the top) the main string popped.

Of the three strings I have used myself: BG65, BG70Pro, BG80 I would recommend 70Pro based on tension hold and overall durability. I believe Panda's string chart reflects this, although he may prefer BG80 as durability is less an issue (as he strings his rackets himself).

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    For the strings, they typically drop up to around 2 lbs when they stablize.

As for pre-stretching, I am not quite a fan of it. It's like enlongating the string more than you need to instead of enlongating it to the correct tension. Might as well say, string it at a higher tension instead of a prestretch.