advance push?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gamepurpose, Oct 7, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    I think i'm consider as a D player, I could reach as a C player if and only if I can master push or called drive shots as quick as other class C players.

I hope you guys understand it. My drive would goes decent speed but easy and very easy to intercept even for me to intercept it. I can intercept the speed of my drive. However, when I play with class c or b (not really sure if he's c, i think more of an B but anyway) his drive or push shots are definately faster than mine and very accurate. I know accuracy must be worked on over period of time. However, how can you make ur bird goes fast with just driving. I think i might get the idea, cuz sometime my drive is not that bad, but that's like sometime very inconsistent.

base on my theory, could be really wrong and you guys will say i'm stupid for saying this.
    my theory is those class b or c players are tall. So tall people have more advantage of making those drive shot easy because their shots are around the rib height not like me chest or neck height. I'm real short =(.

Any advice how to improve it? I believe this is my next goal to achieve in badminton.

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    height doesnt realli help mate, its position of racket head. Practice changing grip from forehand - panhandle - backhand etc. I find it easier to bend my knees a lot wit these shots and am tall (6 foot 2)

I found a good way to practice this and it also helps ur return is play against a wall. It you dont hit hard enough, it wil just drop and u wont b able to return it so it has to be hit hard so u can keep returning it. This is a reali gud practice.

Its not always about pace mate. A good strong drive can b useful but placement is more important such as return of low serve in doubles. A good shot is to drive or push shuttle half court to the sides. Ave to b careful here cause not hard enough & player serving wil drive it at you, & if u hit it to hard, it could go out.

DO the Wall my friend, this will improve ur drives!!!

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Speed of racquet is what separates a drive from a good drive. Height has nothing to do with it. If anything, short people should find it easier to drive, especially around their bodies due to shorter limbs making them less clumsy.

Try driving against the wall. Very good practice

4. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    I found most of my good drive is around my rib bones level. Anything from my chest height and up not really good at it, really slow. I guess around that level I can't use my thumb to support the drive. I dont know that's what I'm thinking.
    So let's make it easy. HOW do you make a good drive? Like
    snap wrist really quick or watever I don't know. Does it require a thumb to have a good drive?

5. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    I think a problem with that might be you not taking the shuttle out in front enough. When it's below you, you can suprinate your wrist and use an action similar to a backhand lift.

When it's above that, unless you take it out in front, you probably won't have enough time to generate enough power to drive it hard. Some people get around this by using their forehand and crouching to hit it kinda like an overhead shot. It's not only your problem. Heaps of people have trouble generating power from around their upper body. Which was why I said taller people have a disadvantage because their long limbs means, if they don't take it really early, they have trouble closer around their body

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Finger power by tightening your grip generates huge power with short swings, that's the key to powerful drives and deceptive pushes.

7. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    nice advice, get the bird early is the key
    I guess I have to be quicker

8. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Oh! May I add the wrist movement? I'm no expert, but I noticed that a good drive involves a good wrist movement. When I get involve in fast drive exchanges, there's really no time to prepare for a big swing. My wrist should be fast enough to react and strong enough to put pressure.

Another key factor is placement. Bad placement of the shuttle could turn against you. Because a drive shot is fast, your opponent could use that power to hit it back towards you.

I also agree with Shifty. Short people are less clumsy in this situation. There are pros and cons of being short. But when it comes to drive shots, I don't think it's a disadvantage being short as they can usually generate a very tight drive shot. There are different kinds of drive shots, and short people can take advantage of the overhead drive, which, IMO, adds more pressure than taking a shot around the chest or rib area.

I hope this helps. :)

9. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    I'm not expert of drive so I do not disagree on you guys advice. However, is it true that if you're driving a bird right at your chest height is more difficult then lowest rib height?
    i'm talking about close up shots against ur body. I'm not talking about bending knees so you can drive back at head height buy doing almost like over head shots.