Ever Tried Unorthadox Serves?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chrisnchips, Oct 7, 2009.

1. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    Just for fun, Have you tried any kind of "trick shot" serves that are still legal to do according to the rules?

for me I've played around with serving the shuttle holding it on my left side, below my waist, and hitting the service behind my back. (only as a short service obviously :p )

just wondering if anyone has any other creative ways of a "trick shot" service? :p

2. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

that dosent seem tricky
    such serves are probably auto point win for the other team cause of bad serve

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Agree with deathsticks... I cannot think of any advantages to the serve. There is nothing tricky (not illegal either) about the shot. Your opponents may at most lose a few points due laughing their heads off. After that, the lack of control and the awkward position of your hand will cost you a lot more points.

4. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    LOL.. it's not really a question referring to whether you can score points with it.. just if you've ever messed around trying something like it... because most of us know of all the trick shots you can do with rallies... but i don't hear too many occasions where people mess around making "trick" serves :p

unorthodox and unpractical lol :p

yes or no question... and if yes, how's the serve look like?

5. Daniel.A

Daniel.A Regular Member

I always serve inbetween my legs.

6. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

same here, i didn't realise till two weeks ago that there was any other way.

7. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

serving in between legs is kinda hard and most of the time its high and short
    easy net kill

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Lol. I wonder if you can flick serve from between your legs :D

9. buchzdoa

buchzdoa Regular Member

[​IMG]

This is kind of unorthodoxed maybe? People shake their head at me when I do this. It's a three-four turn serve build-up used in singles for right handed players. In the diagram the blue is where you look and/or face. The part where they'll be like "WTF" is in diagram 4, where you slice the birdie to the red mark and they run towards the blue mark.

This is my signature serve haha. I only do it when I'm playing with other unserious players.

10. buchzdoa

buchzdoa Regular Member

I've been known to have tricky serves.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That diagram didn't make much sense to me. :confused:

You do know that your feet have to stay in one place while you serve, right? ;)

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Gollum did a very good analysis on how to counter this serve for doubles. I've used his technique and am no longer in trouble with such serves. I'd imagine that the additional length of court will not give me any problem since I intercept all the drives mid-court and the reduced width will be to my advantage. Without a partner to cover for you, you will be very vulnerable to a flick/push to the rear backhand corner.

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Ah, I think I've got it now. You're talking about 3 or 4 different rallies ("turns"), rather than a single serve where you spin around 3 or 4 times, right?

This serve from out wide is more commonly used in doubles, at a low--medium level of club play. It's often effective if the receiver keeps his normal far-forwards position; but if the receiver adapts, then the serve pretty much fails.

In singles, it's even worse, as you are desperately out of position with no partner to cover your silly serve. ;) The receiver should win the rally with any shot placed towards the other side line (away from the server). A drive or flat lift to the farther rear corner would be especially decisive.

#13 Gollum, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009