Smashing Grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by forgeron, Oct 8, 2009.

1. forgeron

forgeron Regular Member

blacksmith
    Right- I have read Badminton Bible grips guide, even had a couple of sessions coaching with Mike- definately to be reccomended.

As far as I can tell I have the grip orientation right, smashes are crisp, fast and make a satisfying boom. However within a few games I find that my thumb starts to get sore and power drops off, towards the end of a session I will have stopped smashing.

I suppose this could be due to my handle grip being old and slippy, meaning that I will have to hold tightly- I'll change it as a precausion, but as all other shots seem fine my guess is that this isn't the cause.

Other than that I suppose that I am justing gripping too tightly, any other ideas or cures?

Nic

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For reference, I'll just list the suggestions I mentioned in my email:

• You've recently changed your hitting technique, and are now making more use of grip tightening for power. It could simply be that your thumb is getting fatigued by a movement it's not used to.
    • Are you keeping your thumb straight, even on impact with the shuttle? Generally, for a smash, the thumb will end up wrapped around the handle after the fingers have tightened.
    • If your grip is slippery or too small, this could be causing the pain.

Let's see what other ideas people come up with. I expect there are some other possible causes too. :)

3. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Well, first thing I think is that it may be that you're simply gripping with your thumb too tight. Obviously when hitting a shot you're going to tighten it a small bit but the rest of the time you should be fairly relaxed. Whilst we're discussing thumb problems, and also gollum being on this thread ^^, I have a wierd lump on the side of my thumb at the knuckle, it just seems to be a lump of dry skin, do you think it's just from the grip rubbing on that part of my thumb? I use a smooth grip so it seems kinda wierd tbh.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Could be. Is there a corresponding worn area on your racket grip?

"Weird lump" is a slightly worrying turn of phrase. Generally, when I find "weird lumps" anywhere on my body, I go see my doctor right away. ;)

5. forgeron

forgeron Regular Member

blacksmith
    Well last two times I played I had no problems, put on a new grip and concentrated on not holding too hard, thanks.
    Gollum - you mentioned Liquid Chalk in your email as another option, I looked this up on ebay and found it is favoured by poledancers- are you taking this Polymath thing a bit too far?

Ted- I know you didn't ask me about your thumb, but- I had assumed it was a callous, but I found I had a hard lump on the knuckle of my thumb a while back, felt felt more like an outgrowth of bone than skin though. turned out to be that I had ruptured the synovial capsual and a bubble of it had formed on the outside of the joint. Was told it was not uncommon. Treatment consisted of waiting for it to get better and not doing it again, seeing as it was caused by an unfortunate interaction betweeen a big lump of metal and my power hammer I was happy to comply!
    Nic

6. TedTheFarmer

Yep I'm pretty sure it's that now. Also, that liquid chalk is a popular option among badminton players to gain more grip.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

A guy gotta make a buck. :D

8. TedTheFarmer

Umm yea there does seem to be a little patch on my grip which is wearing down as you mention it. Only saw it last night when I was in a match. I'm not sure whether it corresponds with that part of my thumb, but I'll have a look when I get back from college tonight. I wouldnt worry about the lump, I know it isnt anything dangerous. It just looks like a hard, elevated lump of skin tbh. Almost like a blister, although I dont really want to open it up...