Effort required for National level of badminton at junior level.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Xushi, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    Hey guys,

(Used the search button first before making this thread.)
    So anyway, I am around a junior state player level and I'm was gonna ask you guys, how much time and dedication do I need to train everyday to be able to reach this standard of national play?

I am currently 15 and intend to try make it by around 18-19?
    Cheers,

Xushi

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

so many variables
    I would think minimum of like 8 hrs a day or something daily of badminton training or something. So quite a lot of time, but it depends on how fast you learn, how well you are coached and other things like self-motivated.

Good luck, I'm trying to train everyday 2-3 hrs. just to win D mens singles. Furthest I've gone is past 1st round. But then again, your a junior state level I'm not near that.

3. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Iirc...

One of my Malaysian friends, who had trained with the State Squad, told me that their national players spend an average of 4 hrs(Monday to Friday) per day on practicing their strokes(skill training). Note that this does not include cardiac training and weight lifting, which those players have to do frequently.

And how much you get out of those training depends on the quality of your training(i.e. how much effort and how focus you are during the practice).If you are always absent minded during the training, chances are you will not benefit too much from the tough training.

Anyway, good luck.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    National level is a different standard in different countries.

As others have pointed out, quality of training should also be considered as well as actual number of hours. I don't think 8 hours everyday is practical or necessary at a junior level.

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I'd be worried about someone doing 8 hours a day of serious training of anything.

I don't know that much about badminton, but from what I know about how concert pianists train--there are people who do 8 to 12 hours a day to prove how tough they are (but a lot of those people burn out early or injure themselves), then there are others who get the same results from 4 hours a day of intelligent, focussed practice. It pays a lot to think carefully about what you're achieving in each training session; your attitude is more important than the number of hours.

Good luck. Do post here again and let us know how it's going.

6. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Out of curiousity anyone know how many hours players like ld train everyday? I don't think its less than 4 hrs.

7. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    like a normal working hours... if not more.

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    well at this stage im High A Grade Low Open Grade standard and im training to progress to national standard within AUstralian badminton.

Im training Monday Wednesday for 3 hours of badminto training. Saturday i Trai 10-12 am then 2-5pm badminton training. Tuesday thurs saturday 2-3 hours of social play.

Gym monday - friday for about an hour depending on how i feel Sunday is resting.
    And im slowly progressing with that. Just remember its not only training which will get you there. Diet, consistant training patterns, and a healthy living/lifestyle is needed.

Im struggling in the diet part but my training is staying quite consistant at this stage. Hopefully by the end of next year ill be close to the National Squad standard.

9. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    Ok so that means your total hours would be 3 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5.
    Far out, that's a total of................. 18.5 hours a week!

You're a legend.
    Anyway, think maybe 3 - 4 hours a day of my own practice will get me to that level?
    The city I live has very few coaches, which is why I have to train myself.

Could I ask out of curiosity, how long have you played badminton for brad? - and how long since you started training?

10. hashdam

hashdam Regular Member

which state do you live in xushi?

11. bradmyster

Mate if you put your mind to it you can achieve anything you wish! I started when i was 15 at school. Played at nationals when i was 18 after a few hard years of training. Took a year and a half off and started back this year. SO the past 12 months of training has been getting back to Open grade level.

Proper training wise iv only probably had about 2 years of proper training all up. This year has been coaching/training myself back to standard. But im starting now to do some training with the more advanced QLD players and being coached by a couple of them so that will help massivly.

Where abouts in aus are you state and city wise??

12. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    ACT, Canberra
    and because my message needs to be 15 letters I'll add this sentence.

13. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Hmm, at junior level, it really comes down to who has put more coached hours in, and who started first. A lad in my team pays for coaching sessions with an ex national player at £20/hour with about 6 hours per week. So needless to say, if you have rich parents, you're in good luck. However, even the boy I'm talking about isn't even close to national level. Of course when you get to senior level, it comes down to raw talent. Some may disagree but taking the case of Andrew Smith, who maybe isn't good in the eyes of some, but he's one of the best players England has put out in recent time. Plus, he started playing full time at the age of 16. Now I don't know how many private sessions he may have had or not had but to be an international level after less than 10 years is inspiring non the less. Another boy in my team, a 14 year old, recently got an invitation to train with Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson, now this boy wins almost all the junior singles tourneys he enters, even ones against adults now and then. Now maybe it comes down to his talent, or maybe it's because he's over 6 foot at the age of 14. So yes, height plays a big part of it until you play with the adults ^^

14. bradmyster

ahhh yes ACT lol not a very big scene for badminton there. Id say if you are really keen aim to train up and attend a few interstate tournaments when you feel your ready. If you eventually get good enough to attend nationals and get close to the National standard then consider moving to melbourne to train with the top players.

If i get good enough for the national squad..which im hoping to get that high..then i will most likely move to melbourne to train with the national squad fulltime.

It all comes down to how much you want it. How hard your willing to train to reach that goal and how committed and disciplined you are in training.

15. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    Ok so,

I currently am also getting trained by a coach for about 3 - 4 hours a week,
    including another one for about 2 hours which totals about 5 - 6 hours training.
    So im not training solely by myself, but training myself really does help alot.

I have played a couple of interstate tourneys, I played an under 19 one where I got to verse a dude from the phillipines wanting to become a olympic player rofl.
    GG much?
    But I play in every competition I have the chance to play in, good experience.

If I had the chance to move to Melb, then hell yeah I would.
    But remember that I am 15 (lol) and therefore unable to independantly live there.

How long has your english friend played for?

16. bradmyster

as i said. "if and when you get good enough then consider moving."

If your starting to train now i wouldnt expect you to be at national standard for a few years. Depending on what level you are at now. If your serious id set a goal to train up for u19 nationals. If your 15 this year then you have 2 more years of u19 competition left. And u19 is the most competitive and strongest of the juniour comps and age groups.

Im slightly too old as i am 19 now so next year my aim is for Open grade nationals. At the moment im probably only in the top10 in terms of Open grade QLD players. So i have alot of training and improvement to do before around August next year when the competition will be.

Its good you have a coach to help you out aswell. If your willing enough you can achieve alot from this age.
    All about committment and determination from here ;)

17. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    probably already too late. As a county player I only made my squad at 15. It's way too late unless you're playing for your squad already don't even bother. Most people have represented their country from the age of 13-14.

18. alexh

alexh Regular Member

It probably varies a lot depending on which country you're in. Australia is probably less competitive compared to England. (Not to mention China.)

19. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

I also believe that the quality of your training is much more important than the time you spend.

I.e., a good coach, good players to rub yourself against at home, and a good plan (which a good coach should make for you).