Higher Jump

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rasa1993, Oct 9, 2009.

1. rasa1993

rasa1993 Regular Member

Hi guys
    Iwas just wondering as I am only 5 ft 6 and quite skinny and therefore my jump is not really high and explosive enough. Therefore are there any good exercises I could do at home maybe every night which will help train myself to make my legs stronger and the ability to jump higher.

Thanks

2. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

do squats? dey help strengthen the leg muscles for jumping
    otherwise you could try skipping with a skipping rope

3. chungjun

chungjun Regular Member

I wonder... when you skip, you tend to make short repetitive jump which does not generate significant elevation. Does it not subconciously tune your body to react in the same way in game? I can see how skipping helps building reaction and stamina but I have doubt about jump elevation. Does anyone here incorporate rope-skipping into physical training to help jump elevation?

4. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    yeah I do,
    during training you have to do constant "double skips".
    although it forces you to jump higher consistently, it also greatly improves wrist strength.

However the best way is probably focusing on your jump instead of skipping.

5. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

7. tieenbietjes

tieenbietjes Regular Member

Try plyometric exercises, I'd say. There are a great number of studies saying there is a significant increase in jumpheight after a balanced plyometric (with conventional) training program, compared to conventional strengthening programs. Although, it's not desired to do a exercise program containing only plyometrics (I can't find the title of that study right now). You have to mix it up. Also your age must be considered in order to do plyometrics! Because it generates a lot of force on the tendons and joints. Young folks who are still growing can be damaged for life (such as a quadriceps traction injury, read: Osgood Schlatter disease)

Plyometrics are exercises where you generate a great force on the eccentric-contracting muscles, before contracting them concentric. The precise effects and dangers can be found on the internet or in books. "High-Powered Plyometrics" by James C. Radcliffe and Robert C. Farentinos (Human Kinetics) is a good book to start with, in my opinion. Not very scientific, so understanding would be easy and it has trainingtables, for those who want to follow a trainingprogram.

Search youtube for plyometrics, from plyometric push-ups to plyometric jump exercises. But remember: plyometrics can be dangerous when not executed correct (or when you are too young in age), because of the great amount of force generated. So be wise ;). And don't do plyometrics only!

Good luck and have fun!

8. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

was that sarcasm???

i just thought that many times... most questions can be answered thru searching on a search engine.

9. Genesis

Genesis Regular Member

Student, Research
    Go to a local basketball court and try to touch the backboard and progress up to point where you can hang on the rim. Takes a long time but has worked for me:)