Crank machine calibration problem.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Koyukii, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Koyukii

Koyukii Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys,

I am not new on the forum but this is my first post. The forum is already full of informations that I didn't need to ask for more. But I have a problem and cannot resolve it. I bought a Stringing machine a while ago, a Pro's pro Shuttle Express, with crank system, and I would like to calibrate it since I'll string the rackets in my badminton club, so I need something pretty accurate. Then I bought a calibrator on Mybadmintonstore but I don't know how to use it. I tried but the string broke everytime. Can someone please tell me how to use it?
    Thanks.

#1 Koyukii, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Any sharp edges?

3. Koyukii

Koyukii Regular Member

Student
    I don't think so. I already strung some rackets without any problems. But it looks like the calibrator is really hard to pull. Here the picture of my machine and the calibrator.

Attached Files:

4. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Ohhh, the hole where you loop a piece of string into and out of the calibrator get 90 degree edges!

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Hmmm, this is a little late to tell you but an electronic calibrator or electronic fishing scale that is good to 0.1 lb will yield much better result.

7. Koyukii

Koyukii Regular Member

Student
    Okay Pete, that is what you meant about sharp edges. Thanks for your answers, I'll try again soon.

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Welcome.
    2) It is not too late to get a digital scale as calibrator.
    3) Yes, Peter the Great is right, the sharp edge is an issue.
    4) Are you sure this is a badminton calibrator? I t looks like a tennis one to me.

9. Koyukii

Koyukii Regular Member

Student
    Hi SH,

I will consider buyung a fishing scale because the string is still broking although I put some paper to protect it from sharp edges. I don't know whether it is for tennis or badminton but I purchased it on mybadmintonstore.com

10. aikakira

aikakira Regular Member

Student
    Hey!

I have a problem with my shuttle express as well lol!! When i take that side screw to calibrate the front screw(one facing the turning table), it doesnt move, cant tighten or losen.

Another problem I have is when the brake activates it hits the plastic cover and makes a loud bang, is that the same with all shuttle express's? My friend bought one on ebay and somehow modded it so that it didnt do this but didnt reveal how =(

Everyones help is much appreciated!

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If the locking arm hits the plastic cover it is travelling too far. I don't know how it is on the Express, but on most crank machines there is a large female hex bolt at the point where the lock arm pivots and a conventional bolt on the other side. If you turn both of these, in the same direction, towards the gripper (i.e anti-clockwise from the plastic cover side), the locking arm will turn in the same direction and will not pop out as far next time.

Be very VERY careful with this adjustment, though: if you get it wrong there's almost no way back unless you send the crank off to the manufacturer. I didn't, which is why mine looks so pathetic; I ended up just taking the cover off:eek:.

Attached Files:

12. aikakira

aikakira Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for your quick reply!

Im not too sure if i really want to do that if you say theres no going back lol! your in St.Helens? near manchester?

maybe you can help me fix my machine lol!

Thanks for your great advice!

13. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Hi guys,

I also have a problem with calibrating my Pro's Pro Shuttle Express, but it has to do more with not knowing where to put the digital fishing scale because the turntable cannot be locked. I'm in a leased apartment and want to refrain from using their furniture/walls as much as possible, so I'm left in kind of a predicament.

Stringing on it has been no problem but after stringing two rackets, I can verify that it is between 2-4 lbs lower than it should be. I know that the digital fishing scale end should be tied to a string and that piece of string should be tensioned, I'm just having a hard time finding a secure post to latch the scale on to. Anyway have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

14. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

you could try mounting a unstrung racket and put a left over string though first mains and clamp on the other side while other side is tied to the calibrator...

15. silentheart

Dear Nutty,
    No, I have not forgot about your request. I am trying to see if my business card can get you for better seat.
    Regarding mounting the digital scale, I will suggest to use a piece of used string, tie the turning arm to the lower bar. See picture.

Attached Files:

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Good drawing! Wanna switch to the more artistic side ;) of image production?

17. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Thank you, Master SH! I was sure you didn't forget, I knew you would have informed me if something had happpened :)

Regarding the machine, I thought of something like that but didn't think string would be sturdy enough. Will try it out though. If not, I'm sure some kind of metal wire might do the trick.

Thanks again for everything, and hope everything is well on your end! Stay healthy!

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I use a dedicated length of tennis string when calibrating, one that has been pulled so many times that all the creep has gone out of it (so it won't give readings that drop while I'm adjusting the tension head).

SH's way of hooking the calibrator over the far-side head-throat support is the best (doesn't need any clamps) but you'll need a turntable brake to do it; I just use my swivel clamp to hold the handle of my digital scale if it's a badminton-level tension check I'm doing.

19. silentheart

Dear Master Mark,

The blue line represent a string to secure the top part so it will not move.

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Great idea for securing a shuttle express's turnable! Economical and should be effective . . .