In Rochester, NY

Discussion in 'USA East' started by rjv_rnjn, Oct 11, 2009.

1. rjv_rnjn

rjv_rnjn New Member

Are there any places in Rochester, NY to play badminton, for general public? There are courts in University of Rochester but that's for students, alum, staff etc.

I wanted to know if there is a club where anybody can join and play. I searched within this forum but couldn't locate one. So even a reference would be great.
    Thanks.

2. ToyotaLexus

ToyotaLexus New Member

Go ask at Rochester Open this weekend

This Saturday/Sunday they have Rochester Open Tournament and you can meet many local players. So why don't you go and see them. It must be the best way to get local information. If you get some info about places to play, please feed back on this thread.
    Good luck.:D

3. rjv_rnjn

rjv_rnjn New Member

sounds like a good idea. I hope I meet some guys who play elsewhere in Rochester.

4. shishuizl

shishuizl New Member

All most everyone in Rochester play in University of Rochester. There are two clubs. One is affiliated with the University. They have fixed time slots. The other gathered together in the yahoo group, rochester-badfans@yahoogroups.ca, with more of advanced level players. You will need to achieve a membership at Goergen gym or find other members to get you a guest pass to play. . However, this weekend, the annual Rochester open tournament will be held in this gym and you could tell the front desk that you are there for the tournament. They will let you go through the gate.

5. rjv_rnjn

rjv_rnjn New Member

I went to the tournament but couldn't locate anybody who plays in Rochester. All that I asked were either from Buffalo or some other NY University (maybe I kept asking the wrong guys).

I found that RIT guys also practice on Fridays and they allow external players to join them; the only thing is to find somebody who will "guest" you in at the reception.

@shishuizl: I'm not an advanced level player so do you think contacting the Yahoo groups you mentioned would be worthwhile?

Thanks for the replies.

6. tjmcelduff

tjmcelduff New Member

Teachers
    I am moving back to Rochester in two months, any ideas on where to play?
    Thanks