Confused about tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Easy Tiger, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    Seems like I've gone full circle with my tensions.

I started off with an AT900T strung (badly) with BG80 at 24lbs which quickly dropped way off to probably 21-22lbs.

Got a Carlton VT Tour strung with Ashaway PG65 @ 24lbs and liked it.

Just got a Z-Slash with BG80 at 24lbs and don't really like it.

I've been playing exclusively with the Carlton and ZS for about a month, but last week I had an off week and resorted back to the 900T.

I thought my game was much more rounded, much MUCH better defense, and I didn't think it was less powerful than the other two.

So what's going wrong? How do I improve the Carlton and ZS's short and defensive game?

2. petert1401

petert1401 Regular Member

When your game is off, sometimes it can help you to feel what's going on when the shuttle is in contact with the strings a bit longer - what's known as the 'dwell time', which increases with slacker strings and more flexible racquets.

It gives you a bit of a much-needed confidence boost and, if your timing is a bit off, some forgiveness in off-centre hits.

I'm guessing this is what's going on: I think the 900T has more flex than the zSlash (though I haven't been able to get my hands on a zSlash to confirm that yet), and BG80 at around 21-22 lbs will have a fair amount of give in it, even though it's a hard string. I'm not familiar with the VT Tour though, so can't comment on that one.

My bet is if you string the ZSlash with a softer feeling string you'll like it - try BG66 or Zymax 67. If you still don't like it PM me - I want one! :D

3. Easy Tiger

Bum
    With those strings, do you think I should restring the ZS at 21-22lbs like the 900T, or go 24lbs or higher?

I actually don't mind the Ashaway PG65 at 24lbs - it has a lot more feedback and longer dwell time than the BG80 at 24lbs which to be honest feels harsh and slippery. That combined with the ZS's small sweetspot is a sucky combo for an intermediate like myself.

I'm almost completely convinced with the BG80, you either string it at 22lbs or 28lbs - anything in between and it sucks.

4. Jinseng

Jinseng Regular Member

Maybe its the strings. Try PG65 on the Z-Slash 24lbs, see if you like it.
    It has a softer feeling.

5. petert1401

petert1401 Regular Member

It's always difficult to recommend string tensions for someone else - it's a very personal thing. All I can really do is give my findings & preferences and hope you can translate them to yours.

My favourite string/tension combo until recently has been BG80 at 28 lbs. Below that tension it just doesn't feel right to me but it 'comes alive' at around 28 lbs.

I've recently changed to Zymax 62 at 26 lbs. ZM62 is a fantastic string, but but seems quite fussy on tension. I strung one at 30 lbs (to test if it could take it more than anything) and it felt dead, I just couldn't make it work. I strung it at 24 lbs and it was too bouncy. But at 26 lbs it was great, better than Zymax 67. Zymax 67 seems to be more forgiving than ZM62 in terms of tension- it'll work well at 24 lbs and is much easier at 30 lbs than ZM62.

I'd recommend trying one of the following for your ZS :-
    Zymax 62 at 22 lb
    BG66 at 23 lb
    Zymax 67 at 24 lb

I think you need something to compensate for the ZS's smaller head and smaller sweet spot but, as I said, tension is a very personal thing...

6. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Peter is right. You've got to test to find what suits your game.

I'm testing BG80 (24lbs) in one racquet and Zymax .67 (22lbs) in another. Both are performing pretty well although I do feel the Zymax lacks the same "bite" or grip of the Yonex string.

I'm keeping the string in for another month then testing another string. Probably go back to BG65Ti at 23lbs which is my favourite string. But I'm also testing BG66 Maxima, due out in UK next year.

Tensions are so personal. You do have to be careful because you can do a lot of damage if you play with too high a tension. See my article on www.badminton-coach.co.uk

Good luck

Paul

It's always good to seek advice from the forum. What you then need to do is choose a string and a tension and that's your starting point. Over the years I've found it better to go up in tension rather than down so start off at around 22/23 lbs.

Testing is time consuming and expensive, but once you find what works for you, life's so much easier.

7. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Interesting in your article you generally recommend 3-5lbs lower than the general wisdom on most of the forums I frequent.

I'm having better luck with the BG80 strung at 24lbs than I did a week ago, just through playing more aggressively and more wristy, so I'm going to stick with it for another couple of weeks and see how it pans out. If it's still sub optimal in the touch department I'm going to give the Ashaway PG66 a go at a pound less or something.

8. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

There's a number of things going on here and im actually surprised no one point that out. Firstly stick to a racket, and stick to a string. You have 3 completely different set ups, so there really isnt any consistent data being provided. Once you have found a racket you like, with the characteristics you enjoy, then you can dial in which string you like, and which tension. Every string will have different characteristics. I also find it odd that you felt your bg80 loss so much tension. It takes me nearly 2 months playing 3 time a week to break a string or significant tension loss begins to set in. The strings mentioned in this thread and the rackets you listed are all very different. Changing multiple variable at a time will not provide you with any suitable data. Think about what you are changing here: racket weight, racket balance, racket flex and a minor characteristic of stability. You may even be changing grip size. You are also changing string which is different rebound and different hardness. Keep your variables down as you change. And your playability feedback will give you much more usable data. This may take a month to get down. It took me about 2 months to figure out what my ideal set up is. Right now ive dialed in on using my Chao Pai nano power 728 with bg9@21x23, but last tournament I was hitting a bunch of shots out the back 1-4 inches so im going up just another pound. The rackets I tested were cp728, woven 7, apacs nano 7000, panda power trinity, panda power ultra, rsl x2, and armortec 600. The strings I tried were micro power, bg80, bg70, bg9, zm62 and zm67. That is a lot of equipment and on a tight budget it will be difficult so make friends with your stringer (or string yourself) and get dialed in. I have multiple rackets so it didnt take me as long to get dialed in, but I can assure you there were times I was cutting out strings that couldve been used, but they were either too loose or too tight or just not for me, therefore they were removed. Take sometime to properly test out equipment and your game will really appreciate it. :D

9. Easy Tiger

Bum
    No, at present I have all my rackets strung the same with the same grip size and grip. Unfortunately the AT900T was badly strung an it's no longer even close to 24lbs, and I don't know whether to bother to restring it so that they're all identical. My ZS strung the same as the others has put doubts in my mind that the BG80 is the best string for it.

I'm adapting though so that's good (as per my comments in the ZS thread)

What did you think of the Zymax strings?

10. illusionistpro

I can surely say zm62 needs to be strung AT LEAST 10% less than what you would string bg66/80 at. It is very thin and thus when you string it the same its very hard feeling. Overall a very hard string, I didnt like, but i'd try it again if the price was right. zm67 was very good right there with bg66. Think of it as bg66 with better durability. zm62 is a hard feeling string where as zm67 is a medium hardness. bg66 i would also say is med hardness, bg80 is hard, and bg65 is soft. I recommend .67 over the 62 any day

11. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

hi, how will you classify BG85 compared to BG66, BG80 and BG65?

12. illusionistpro

from hardess to softest: bg85, bg80, bg66, bg70, bg65. In general the harder the string the looser you have to go.