Mp55 or Mp77?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Paulk, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Paulk

Paulk Regular Member

I have read many of the post on the Mp55 and I think for the money it is the best buy. I am looking for extra power in my smash and from what I have heard and read the Mp55 is a good choice.

I'm sure the Mp77 is overall a better racquet, but my question is can the Mp55 match the smashing power of the Mp77?

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Yes it can.....

Any racket can, depends on you..... ;)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Ask not what the racquet can do for you but what you can do to your racquet. (JFK V)

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

Yes the MP55 can match MP77 in terms of power. But a lot of this also comes down to string type, tension and player techniques.

MP77 out performs MP55 in terms of drive, swing speed and backhand clears - but just. And it feels a wee bit lighter.

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Save yourself the money and get Victor Dominator, only $54 USD and it's a better racquet than mp55 IMHO. :)

6. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I just tried out my new MP 55 so I can compare the MP 55 with my MP 77. I bought both rackets at the same time but did not use the MP 55 until today. Both are strung with BG 68Ti but the MP 77 is probably not as tight because I have used it more. Both the MP55 and MP 77 seem to play equally well, but I have slightly better touch with the MP77 because I have used it more and have slightly better feel with the MP 77. I kept missing on the touch shots with MP 55 but I also had no feel for touch shots today. All in all, I would say they are about the same and the 1 cm different in length did not make any difference. In terms of smashing I had a better smash with the MP 77 probably because I have got more practice with it. Both are good rackets, but the BG68Ti is not an ideal string for either racket. Also I do not like BG 68Ti all that much. Both are 2U with G4 and a Gamma overgrip. I might say that the MP 77 may be a bit better but only slightly better.

Ron

7. Paulk

Paulk Regular Member

Thanks for the info ronk. I actually put BG80 at 22x20lbs and find it ok - trying to get use to it. Although it is more head heavy than my previous racquet, I was still able to play defensive as well or better than my lighter racquet.

8. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I have started using more of my MP 55 and the strings got loose real quick. The stringer probably did not tie the knots very tight. Comparing the MP 77 with the MP 55, I feel that the MP 77 is better with a bit more power and a stiffer frame. I also get a bit better control with the MP 77, but the overall feel are similar. I get a somewhat different feel when I use a cab 25 or 20.

Ron

9. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    MP77 is better

If you can afford it buy the MP77. It is a better racket than the Mp55.

Anything the MP55 can do the Mp77 can better. But if money is an issue, the MP55 shouldn't dissapoint, just concentrate on getting the best out of the racket.