Fake, or not?

Discussion in 'Identify Fake Racket (Price/Source/Serial/Photos a' started by Iwan, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hi, my uncle just came back from the world masters with a pair of MP99 which he *claimed* is the prize he got along with his medal, he won the fourth division doubles. The thing that confuses me, is that the PBSI logo on this racket is awefully done and there is no serial number everything else is painted nicely tho and the green yonex logo at the bottom of the handle is bumpy like a real one. Plus, the WM is quite a big event right? so Im confused as to why a yonex racket without serial number is being handed out... Im just curious this time, no other reason for asking u guys to contribute ur thoughts.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I believe the racquets of all national players are awfully painted and without serial numbers, because the players care only about performance and not looks. Its been mentioned in the forum

3. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

oh... ok, just one question then, was the world masters sponsored by yonex?
    actually, nm. i just went to their website and had a look at their sponsors, yonex wasnt one of them.

btw, the grommets of the rackets are diff too... this one doesnt have that long chain of grommets like the MP100, MP88 and etc.

#3 Iwan, Nov 3, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2002
  4. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    I just got back from the world masters also, but I didn't see anything awarded except for medals. With 5 divisions and 10 brackets per divisions, and 5 disciplines (MS,MD,WS,WD,XD), there would be 400 racquets awarded if each gold medal winner got one. Maybe your uncle bought himself the racquets and made up the story to tell your aunt?

5. bigredlemon

It costs them about 20$ to make a racquet i think. And anyway, where would he buy a racquet without serial numbers?

6. ASDFASDF

ASDFASDF Regular Member

Thats why chance it could be a fake...

7. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Do all badminton racquets of all brands have serial numbers? or is it just a yonex thing?

8. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

What is the world masters competition? Is it international or Asian only?

9. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Fake -- if it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, then it is a duck.

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Iwan,
    Can you provide pics? Without the strip grommets, it doesn't sounds like it's the real deal. Am very surprised that they will award prizes on top of the medals.

Jwu,
    Not all badminton brands have serial numbers although it is a good idea as it will assist with warranty verification.

Tammy,
    The World Masters was held in Australia this year and it is open to all althetics from all over the world. Not sure what the minimum age (I don't think you qualify for this yet :D ) was (it's either 35 or 40) and you can register as an individual or as a team.

Bigredlmon, it's actually much cheaper to manufacture racquets but there's the overhead of marketing, dales, sponsorship, R & D, etc...

11. bigredlemon

I just made up the amount $20, which is reasonable to me, as about each "middleman" nets about 20-30% of his sale + costs... pretty standard in commerce IMHO.

25% profit plus cost of running store translates to about 40%... That's 120$ for a 200$ racquet. Local distributor's 25% profit plus costs about 40%, so that means he gets it for 75$. National distributor gets 25% profit plus costs, about $40. International distributor gets 25% profit plus costs, shipping, etc. About $40. Yonex gets 25% profit plus recouping capital investment plus costs, comes to about 20$ for costs of manufactureing (labour, power, machineery maintainence, materials, etc.)

I think this is generally true for about everything you buy

12. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    World Msters Games

WWC: The minimum age is 35. You can enter with a team and also play in the individual events, which took place after the team competitions were over. I played on an Aussie 40+ team and had a great time. Aussies, Tazzies and Kiwis are amonr the friendliest folks I've ever met. The beer in Melbourne is great, too.

13. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

sorry Winex, dont have a digicam :(

14. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Re: World Msters Games

Marshall, I take it that you will be planning to attend the next one in 2005 scheduled for Edmonton, Canada?

Hmmm...I think I should also start planning for that as it sounded like fun.

Hey guys (esp. the older timers like Badrad, Viver, Cooler, Marky), what do you think? Could be a BF old folks posters get together :D :D

BTW, you can access the badminton results for the World Masters 2002 at http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/ass...Badminton@938@@@@@@36@@@&action=RESULTS&rP=13

I think Misbun Sidek won gold in the Men Singles 40+ category (Div 1).

#14 Winex West Can, Nov 6, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2002
  15. Winex West Can

Hi Tech