Derrick Club question

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by LVbeam, Oct 13, 2009.

1. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Ive never played in a club before so this is really new to me.

I am considering going to the Derrick club to play badminton, so im wondering how much it costs and such just to play badminton. Ive looked on the site, but it just confused me lol. Im also not sure if the club is full or not yet, or how they determine what level of play you are when you start.

Any info would help, much appreciated! :)

2. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    I guess the best way is to phone the club to get your answer(s). I think you need to know a member there and have that member sign you in as a guest for drop-ins. I'm not sure about the membership there, but it is not cheap (pay initiation fee + member fees)

There might be other responses in this forum about the Derrick Club...

3. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Oh really? I dont think I know anyone that goes there :s

And yeah, I wouldve searched but my search thing is messed up. But I did find nother thread on this topic kinda, but it was outdated.

4. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    I think the badminton coach does do some sponsoring for players with potential. The Derrick is a multi-sport club, so I don't think it will ever be full...

what are you looking for in a club?

5. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Well I really just would like to get better all around for this years season (high school) and I guess meet some people along the way.

I still haven't figured out the price yet for
    this year. I'm guessing around 2000$? And are there drop INS or anything like that?

6. druss

druss Regular Member

This is a couple weeks old but I'll answer the question. I'm probably going to have my family join the Derrick once my kids are a bit older.

The Derrick is a private facility for members and guests only, there is no drop in that I'm aware of. Very similar to the Glenora that way.

You would be better off by going to the EDBA website and finding one of the many rec clubs in Edmonton to play at.

Another choice would be the Red Willow club in St. Albert which I believe does have drop in.

7. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Hey Druss, the thing is those clubs were full about 2 months ago lol. And I live about 45 minutes away from Edmonton so I want to join a club so it'd be worth the drive up.

8. druss

druss Regular Member

Ya, if you don't get into the clubs right at the beginning of the season it's hard to get in.

I do know that the kinsman has drop in and the red willow in st. albert does as well.

9. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    Red Willow is drop in with a member only.

10. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Oh dang. Well to give an update on this thread, I still haven't found out much about the Derrick club yet, so I'm hoping to find a coach actually. I've got a drop in that I go to every Thursday with a couple friends but they never take it seriously. They are very good players too, but they just don't seem to want to try as hard as I want to and i would really like to get better for my season.

11. druss

druss Regular Member

The only places I know of with coaches (and court times) are Derrick, Royal Glenora and Red Willow. All are members (and their guests) only but they may allow non members to get lessons (not sure on this). Just call them all and ask.

The clubs are a bad place to try and train, most are 1 game only and that's just not enough time. To be honest, the best training is probably going to be a college that has a badminton team and plays provincial (ACAC) and national.

12. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Hmm.. Well I actually live in the camrose area and I'm pretty sure our Augustana doesn't have a very strong badminton. Or so I've never heard of them being good. Or even if they have a badminton team. Lmao.

13. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    Red Willow has a great coach named Scot Young. I have been taking lessons from him since feb 2008 and getting many comments of my huge improvement of my skills. The club is also offering lessons for guests. RW is always accepting new members.

www.redwillow.ca

14. _GenX_

_GenX_ New Member

Scot Young used to coach me at Royal Glenora Club with Wong. Scot is a very good coach, I recommend him to anyone. Also I recommend Wong to anyone as well because he is a well known coach in Edmonton. I myself use to play at Glenora, you can only get in with a member signing you in as a guest. Also I can sign them in only once a month which is very inconvenient for them.