Conditioning your body

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bunsofsteel, Oct 13, 2009.

1. bunsofsteel

bunsofsteel Regular Member

I'm unable to play badminton as often as I'd liked so I have to resort to other methods of training where courts might not be accessible. Is there any training that would be good for just conditioning my body to meet badminton standards without the use of a court? What else could I do besides jogging?

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    There is multiple things you can do my friend. The jogging is good start. Do hill sprints, this will greatly improve fitness. I ave seen large improvement in how long I can go & my recovery with mainly jus jogging and sprinting hills.

There is A killer hill near my house, its a solid 2 miles up sometimes steep, others not so steep so I started jogging nice easy pace up to the top and down so 4 miles.
    But the key is mixing it up, sometimes so faster, other times go slower, sometimes do sprints. This will work on ur whole fitness and it greatly bulks the legs :D

Also do footwork in back yard if you ave a flat solid area, do shadow footwork, doin it for a min, break, min, break, min and build it up over time.

Skipping is great to, once again mixing it up do quick bursts and goin slower.

Arm strength is handy for those awkward shots and also so it takes less effort to hit hard smash or full length clear, use a power ball thing, its good, and a hand gripper, they are good but I found a exercise which I found was great for helping my defence of smash lifts and drives was this exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBadmintonCoach#p/u/3/YLlYpja1nRo

This will be a gud start mate, good luck

3. alfredwinston

alfredwinston New Member

Badmiton Coach
    Practicing sprint run gradually & effectively will help you to a great extent & also you can practice.

I read the following in an article:
    Example – off court session to improve aerobic fitness (low initial fitness level).
    One session per week
    • Weeks 1-3.
    20 minute continuous jog at an easy pace. Aim: to complete run without stopping
    • Weeks 4-6
    30 minute continuous jog at easy pace. Aim: as above (but 30min)
    • Weeks 7-9
    ~ 25 minute run at moderate pace. Aim: same route as week 4-6 but at a faster pace
    • Weeks 10-12
    35 minute continuous run at similar pace as in weeks 7-9.
    This plan shows progression for both the duration and for the intensity of the exercise

Examples of off-court types of fitness training
    Strength Training
    The purpose of weight training is usually to increase muscle strength. In order to achieve
    successful strength gains, specific muscles must perform movements while working against
    a resistance. Weight training is a skill and, like all skills, development of optimal strength for
    a player may take a very long time (often a matter of years). Players should start with light
    resistances so that they become skilled at the movements required (qualified instructors
    should be used for this purpose). Once a movement is learned (this may take at least 8-10
    sessions), the resistance can be increased so that real strength development can
    commence

Thanks

4. BadYankee

BadYankee Regular Member

hiker
    All of what was written and suggested are good for conditioning of the legs and lungs. For the arms and hands, you could do some light weight barbell curls and presses.
    Then for that "almost" real feel of playing and hitting coordination, you could do some Walling, where you hit and return the shuttlecock against a flat wall with a badminton racket.;)

5. bunsofsteel

bunsofsteel Regular Member

Thank you guys sooo much for your help! i'll try to do as much as I can.