User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 98
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    Well yes it is bulky compare to the PnS compacts But the quality of the photos produced is great. I would say this is a Semi DSlr. And also used by many photojournalist as their backup. Handy and light.
    I don't think it comes near to be a semi dslr for the simple reason it is not a systems camera. It is a large P&S camera and like all P&S cameras its lens is not interchangeable. However, it is still small enough to take it any where.
    BTW, can you choose your own aperture? If not then it is quite useless.

  2. #19
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes i can choose the aperture. Starting from 2.8 onwards. Its a semi DSLR for me already. Maybe for you.. you have a different standard.

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1 year ago, I was in the market for a handy camera for a trip to India. The choice was between the Canon G10, the Lumix LX-3 and the Fujifilm F100fd. The fujifilm won that race (compact, cleanest sensor at higher ISO, and cheap).

    With the G11, I have no doubt it would have been the choice. I love the 10MP and the return of the articulating LCD. I literally lost interest in the G-series when Canon dropped the articulating LCD since G7.

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What about the panasonic Lumix DMC F1? I have read in some reviews that it might be better then Canon G11; I am thinking of getting a G11 as well...but seems a bit put off by its relatively big size ( I have been a Canon Ixus PnS user)

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by szekt View Post
    What about the panasonic Lumix DMC F1? I have read in some reviews that it might be better then Canon G11; I am thinking of getting a G11 as well...but seems a bit put off by its relatively big size ( I have been a Canon Ixus PnS user)
    I think the Lumix DMC F1 is an old camera and a bit outdated. The best P&S bunch would be the Lumix LX3 and the two Canon G10 and G11. There was a proconsumer group test of the top P&S cameras and the LX3 topped the group followed by the G10. However both LX3 and G10, especially the G10 or even the G11, are rather large P&S cameras. The LX3's strength is its very fast lens of F/2.0 which no other P&S camera has.
    If you are in G11 or even LX3 territory why not go for the Panasonic GF1, which has lens interchangeability to such an extent that almost every lens made todate by all manufacturers can be used in this camera? If you have a dslr outfit you can use all your dslr lenses on the gf1. Or you can buy a used 1960s era Leica M lens, the F/2.0 50mm summicron, for very little money and use it on the GF1 as a 100mm F/2.0 lens. It will beat any of your current dslr lenses.

  6. #23
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default If not mistaken..

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I don't think it comes near to be a semi dslr for the simple reason it is not a systems camera. It is a large P&S camera and like all P&S cameras its lens is not interchangeable. However, it is still small enough to take it any where.
    BTW, can you choose your own aperture? If not then it is quite useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    Yes i can choose the aperture. Starting from 2.8 onwards. Its a semi DSLR for me already. Maybe for you.. you have a different standard.
    ..there are even a few compact digicams which people can choose & adjust the apertures..If compact digicams can do so, why not a G10/G11??..

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All P&S digicams, including the LX3 and the Canon G10 and G11, are not semi dslr cameras by any definition. Even with their aperture-priority features any meaningful use of dof is non-existent. How on earth can a puny size range of focal lengths of say the Canon G11 of 6.1mm-30.5mm be useful? Even if it can come up with a high speed F1.0 lens its dof is still quite useless.
    Yes, P&S cameras have their role, and nearly every photographer owns one. They are great if you want everything to be in focus-how more idiot-proof can you get?

  8. #25
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    G11 have a manual focus as well.
    Yes you are right taneepak.

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    All P&S digicams, including the LX3 and the Canon G10 and G11, are not semi dslr cameras by any definition. Even with their aperture-priority features any meaningful use of dof is non-existent. How on earth can a puny size range of focal lengths of say the Canon G11 of 6.1mm-30.5mm be useful? Even if it can come up with a high speed F1.0 lens its dof is still quite useless.
    Yes, P&S cameras have their role, and nearly every photographer owns one. They are great if you want everything to be in focus-how more idiot-proof can you get?
    Have you bought and used your "that" digital camera yet ??

    Still waiting for those 'brilliant' photos...

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    G11 have a manual focus as well.
    Yes you are right taneepak.
    Is manual focus on P&S cameras really useful? Almost all P&S cameras more or less align focus to the hyperfocus distance, rendering the miximum dof in shot after shot. This is quite useless for capturing that "center of interest" selectively. The only meaningful dof one can get out of a P&S camera is to do macro, but even here you cannot get the image size larger than the subject size.
    There are 3 areas you can play around with dof, namely focal length, aperture, and distance from camera to subject. One important objective of selective dof is to emphasize the "center of interest" in the picture you want to take. With focal length and aperture selection, 1/3 of the dof is in front and 2/3 behind the subject. This is not shown in all modern digital cameras. In film slrs these are shown on the lens.
    Playing around with apertures, if you double the f-stop (not merely one stop less) from f/4 to f/8, you double the dof. On the focal length, if you use a lens of half the focal length you can quadruple the dof. Or you can move twice as far away from the subject to achieve the same thing. But all these are for larger cameras to be used selectively for creativity. For P&S that is basically what they deliver, just one set menu with hardly any choice.

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    Have you bought and used your "that" digital camera yet ??

    Still waiting for those 'brilliant' photos...
    No, I have not despite an offer from my son to get me a GH1 or GF1 so that I can put my many Leitz M and Zeiss rf lenses to good use. Maybe, I will wait for a full frame camera of similar dimensions as the GF1, but then what do I do with a camera I will hardly use?
    BTW, too many photos today are "doctored" photos in which chance replaces creativity. The only fair way to judge any photo is to evaluate and then critique a photo, because at least this phase of photography is still more fool-proof.

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    The only fair way to judge any photo is to evaluate and then critique a photo, because at least this phase of photography is still more fool-proof.
    we're still waiting for one of your masterpieces to be submitted for critique...

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE = Mini Me; 1283509] we're still waiting for one of your masterpieces to be submitted for critique ...[/ QUOTE]

    All my photos are slides that come in 24x36 and 60x60 and are best viewed with 35mm and mf projectors on a large screen, which I still have. With so many boxes of slides, I will leave it to the next generation to transfer them to something more orderly and more easily accessible and retrieveable.
    BTW, I haven't come across any earth shattering comments from you, if at all, on some of the photos offered for critique here.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    why would i be expected to make earth shattering comments about topics in which i'm not an earth shattering expert (self proclaimed or otherwise)?

    on the other hand, you keep knocking cameras that you've never used before and keep recommending other cameras that you've never used before.

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
    why would i be expected to make earth shattering comments about topics in which i'm not an earth shattering expert (self proclaimed or otherwise)?

    on the other hand, you keep knocking cameras that you've never used before and keep recommending other cameras that you've never used before.
    By critiquing any visual art, including photographs, one reveals one's opinions and maybe expertise or otherwise in the field.

    The number of pictures and the equipment one takes or owns is not a good indicator of quality or expertise.
    Everyone is free to have, and also to express, his or her opinions on equipment. Having owned a certain camera does not guarantee that the owner knows more about his camera than a non-owner.
    BTW, I do have more than a rudimentary knowledge of cameras. Maybe, when handed a digital camera I may be lost for a while on how to operate it but I should be able to get it to work after a short while. The basics in cameras and lenses have not changed, unless it can spit out money when I command it to do so..

  16. #33
    Moderator drifit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,428
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Is manual focus on P&S cameras really useful? Almost all P&S cameras more or less align focus to the hyperfocus distance, rendering the miximum dof in shot after shot. This is quite useless for capturing that "center of interest" selectively. The only meaningful dof one can get out of a P&S camera is to do macro, but even here you cannot get the image size larger than the subject size.
    There are 3 areas you can play around with dof, namely focal length, aperture, and distance from camera to subject. One important objective of selective dof is to emphasize the "center of interest" in the picture you want to take. With focal length and aperture selection, 1/3 of the dof is in front and 2/3 behind the subject. This is not shown in all modern digital cameras. In film slrs these are shown on the lens.
    Playing around with apertures, if you double the f-stop (not merely one stop less) from f/4 to f/8, you double the dof. On the focal length, if you use a lens of half the focal length you can quadruple the dof. Or you can move twice as far away from the subject to achieve the same thing. But all these are for larger cameras to be used selectively for creativity. For P&S that is basically what they deliver, just one set menu with hardly any choice.
    i can see that you dont have experience in advance p&s camera. before this, complained about the puny size of the lens. please re-check the sensor size. i did mention before about the lens distance to sensor do affect DOF. here, i read your lecture about DOF but it is not complete, is ok. how about this DOF? nice?
    macro photography, can i know which lens can do image size larger than the subject size?
    by the way, we want to see your masterpieces isnt to critique but to admire and share the experience.

  17. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Is manual focus on P&S cameras really useful? Almost all P&S cameras more or less align focus to the hyperfocus distance, rendering the miximum dof in shot after shot. This is quite useless for capturing that "center of interest" selectively. The only meaningful dof one can get out of a P&S camera is to do macro, but even here you cannot get the image size larger than the subject size
    .

    Categorically, that is incorrect, way oversweeping the idea. Try that hyperfocus thing using a 270mm (equivalent)ultra-zoom PnS, it does not happen that way.

    By the way, what is 'miximum' ?? Its either "minimum" or "maximum", please decide.

    For full size DSLR's there is one and only one exception whereby you can get past 1:1 magnification straight out of the lens without extra accessories. So, I don't see why would you expect a PnS to be able to do better ?

    There are 3 areas you can play around with dof, namely focal length, aperture, and distance from camera to subject. One important objective of selective dof is to emphasize the "center of interest" in the picture you want to take. With focal length and aperture selection, 1/3 of the dof is in front and 2/3 behind the subject. This is not shown in all modern digital cameras. In film slrs these are shown on the lens.
    Its only show in film era lenses of pretty old vintage, something way beyond 25 years old as of today. The last major film cameras ( read mass adapted) exited the market less than 10 years ago.

    Playing around with apertures, if you double the f-stop (not merely one stop less) from f/4 to f/8, you double the dof. On the focal length, if you use a lens of half the focal length you can quadruple the dof. Or you can move twice as far away from the subject to achieve the same thing. But all these are for larger cameras to be used selectively for creativity. For P&S that is basically what they deliver, just one set menu with hardly any choice.
    That again is incorrect. Its only applicable to certain focal lengths and certain apertures and not everything else.

    On a 35mm film equivalent FF 5DmkII,

    a 50mm at f/4, 20Ft has a DOF of 12.7ft;
    at f/8, 20ft, DOF becomes 35ft
    at f/4, 10ft, DOF becomes 2.94ft
    at f/8, 10ft, DOF becomes 6.28ft

    For a 100mm at f/4, 20ft DOF is 2.89ft
    at f/8, 20ft, DOF becomes 5.88ft
    at f/4, 10ft, DOF becomes 0.71ft
    at f/8, 10ft, DOF becomes 1.42ft

    In fact, as the calculations show, it does not apply to the most common 50mm focal length at all!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canon EOS-1D X
    By drifit in forum Badminton Photography
    Replies: 6
    : 12-29-2012, 01:07 PM
  2. Canon sx1 IS
    By cheeyf in forum Badminton Photography
    Replies: 4
    : 12-17-2008, 07:22 AM
  3. Anyone getting the Canon 40D?
    By Sealman in forum Badminton Photography
    Replies: 12
    : 10-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •