User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I think with such a drastic drop in aperture over the zoom, the loss in lens speed from F/2.0, which is only available at 28mm focal length, will start immediately after 28mm. The drop will be close to F/3.5, close to one and a half stops, as early as 35mm and will probably hit F/4.9 at about over 50mm. This can be guestimated based on the size of the lens versus the zoom range. The longer the zoom range the faster the drop in lens speed. If the zoom range had been restricted to 28mm-70mm, then yes a more classy lens speed over the zoom range of about F/2.0 to F/2.8 would be possible.
    I would have thought probably f3.5-4.0 at 60mm for the S90. However, we should really validate our guestimates before dismissing the lens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I would have thought probably f3.5-4.0 at 60mm for the S90. However, we should really validate our guestimates before dismissing the lens.
    I have actually tested it on 35mm in my friend's camera shop and it reads about F/3.5. I did not test it on 60mm but I would be surprised if it doesn't say F/4.0 or even more.
    The S90 is a very good alternative to the G11. My opinion is that anytime you get it down to F/2.0, which is within the zone of "serious" lens design, you should not allow it to degenerate into anything slower than F/2.8 in a zoom. However, in P&S cameras consumers seem to like big zooms, not realizing that the bigger the zoom the lower the quality or lens speed. I think Panasonic makes some of the biggest P&S zooms which I think is a bit over the top.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post

There is nothing "quite extraordinary and incredible" abt the LX3 having those features. In fact, many of the previous "bulkier" models (even its own brand) had the same aperture feature while boasting a lens w/a longer focal zoom length (longer than what the LX3 offers). LX3 only wins in the compactness of its body.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

..remember also, the S90 has a (5x) digital zoom while the LX3 does not. All in all, i would guesstimate, the LX3's features would fall in the same line as the S90, if given the same lens specs as the S90.
    And until the LX3 comes out with the same lens specs as the S90, this comparison shouldn't even exist.
    We are talking about true P&S size cameras. Bringing in bulkier cameras that have APS-C or FF sensors is like hitting below the belt and is as I have said earlier a non-explanation.
    Of course the LX3 will not come out with the same lens specs as the S90 with a more extended zoom. This area belongs to the cheaper P&S with long reach, like some of Panasonic's 12x zooms. Do you know you can have 12x zooms in a P&S but at a terrible cost? You will get a lens aperture or speed of F/3.3 to perhaps F/4.0. This is not quality specs. You may think this sort of 12x P&S zoom is great but I disagree.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Off topic-Uuuh-huh...

Of course the LX3 will not come out with the same lens specs as the S90 with a more extended zoom.
    You may think this sort of 12x P&S zoom is great but I disagree.
    Yep, that's what i thought. And still want to compare with the S90???..
    Who's thinking "this sort of 12x P&S is great"?????..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have actually tested it on 35mm in my friend's camera shop and it reads about F/3.5. I did not test it on 60mm but I would be surprised if it doesn't say F/4.0 or even more.
    The S90 is a very good alternative to the G11. My opinion is that anytime you get it down to F/2.0, which is within the zone of "serious" lens design, you should not allow it to degenerate into anything slower than F/2.8 in a zoom. However, in P&S cameras consumers seem to like big zooms, not realizing that the bigger the zoom the lower the quality or lens speed. I think Panasonic makes some of the biggest P&S zooms which I think is a bit over the top.
    Mistake, the S90 actually tested F/2.5 at 35mm, F/3.2 at 50mm, F/4.5 at 85mm and F/4.9 at its zoom extreme. Despite its longer zoom range and the same max F/2.0 aperture the S90 lens looks smaller than the LX3's lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is suppose to be a g10 and g11 thread.. But then you guys are most welcome to lamblast each other with technical knowledge and experience so people like me can enjoy and learn from your expertise. So now whichnis better? Linux or canon Pns? So far I'm happy with my g11.
    Last edited by ants; 12-22-2009 at 06:16 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants View Post
    This is suppose to be a g10 and g11 thread.. But then you guys are most welcome to lamblast each other with technical knowledge and experience so people like me can enjoy and learn from your expertise. So now whichnis better? Linux or canon Pns? So far I'm happy with my g11.
    I think G11 is better than G10. S90 is a trimmed down version of G11, faster at the wide angle end but slower at the tele end. For indoor badminton shots, the S90 will be better for available light photography at F/2.0 aperture at the 28mm end. For the tele end the G11 will be faster for available light photography at the 105mm end. The S90 is P&S, the G11 more m4/3 in size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a non-explanation. We are talking about mosquito weight contenders. Bringing in a super-heavy weight to stop the debate once and for all is like not wanting to lean more.
    'tis the season to be jolly...bringing out them cash to splash on D3 is better than wasting time and money on something we'd all put under an electron microscope (or WAITIN' on that mark iv or v or whatever). let's face it we all admire the compactness of great(er) pns cameras and everything it brings to the table with all it's inefficiencies as well, so...so, why bother? either save up and get the best one can afford to buy or stop bitchin about it, much worse, settle for less then slowly trade up...makes bad economic sense. i woud liken it to INCREMENTAL monetary incineration!

happy holidays (politically correct to some)!

lean? well, the competition has been tko'd. the competition would have been tko'd too in the time when there was only 3 (4 now) support ropes!
    Last edited by MetalOrange; 12-22-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalOrange View Post
    'tis the season to be jolly...bringing out them cash to splash on D3 is better than wasting time and money on something we'd all put under an electron microscope (or WAITIN' on that mark iv or v or whatever). let's face it we all admire the compactness of great(er) pns cameras and everything it brings to the table with all it's inefficiencies as well, so...so, why bother? either save up and get the best one can afford to buy or stop bitchin about it, much worse, settle for less then slowly trade up...makes bad economic sense. i woud liken it to INCREMENTAL monetary incineration!

happy holidays (politically correct so some)!
    i am waiting for some splendid photos taken by your D3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    I'm still waiting for our resident "camera expert" Mr T to post his expert pictures somewhere ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have posted my d2x pix. the d3s will come soon. hey, you can't even coax mr. t to flaunt his wares, now you want mine? i'm just another brick on the wall with the body and lenses to boot. mr. t is the resident. oh he's got tenure too--for sure.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetalOrange View Post
    i have posted my d2x pix. the d3s will come soon. hey, you can't even coax mr. t to flaunt his wares, now you want mine? i'm just another brick on the wall with the body and lenses to boot. mr. t is the resident. oh he's got tenure too--for sure.
    darn me...... where is the photo?
    most likely my tired eyes miss it.

as for Mr T, i do love discussing the technical of photography with him. have to learn the hard way from this way. but, i am still in the pursue to glance some of his masterpiece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

darn me...... where is the photo?
    most likely my tired eyes miss it.

as for Mr T, i do love discussing the technical of photography with him. have to learn the hard way from this way. but, i am still in the pursue to glance some of his masterpiece.
    no worries, i'm not shy, i'll post some more, again.

hahaha, i guess the less you see of his works, the more you will cherish it when you see them in its full glory. frankly, i think mr. t got some real stockpile of masterpieces and he is just holding out. i guess, it's no point for him to prove his (worth) argument valid by indulging us all.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6