string tension relax over time will keep going?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by loveleo, Oct 15, 2009.

1. loveleo

loveleo Regular Member

I did a search and did not find this topic. Hopefully I am not repeating a popular question.

Anyway, I have seen people saying the initial tension would drop within a few games. My question is will the tension keep dropping forever or would it stop at some level. My feeling is it would stop at some level.

For example, if initial tension is 28 lb, after 1 month, dropped to 26, would it keep dropping until 22 or 20 lb? or would it just keep at 25-26lb and stop dropping?

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) welcome to bcbf...
    2) yes, the topic has been discussed several time before. search for "tension drop". you will need to sort through many posts.
    3) the situation depend on type of string, pre-stretch, string pattern and stringing machine. also, the string person matter too.
    4) as long as you continue to use the racquet, the tension will continue to drop. the rate depend on how hard and often you smash and clear.
    ps: are you at iu or purdue?

3. loveleo

loveleo Regular Member

I am at iu, where are you?

I had a feeling my racket will never drop to below 20 lb. I play once per week for 2-3h. there should be numbers of smash, clear. The tension was 22 lb when I start several (4-5) years ago and I never bothered to restring since it did not breakand did not feel it was too lose. Last year I played with my friend's racket and feel his racket is easier to hit further back court than mine so I thought it might be the tension so I had it restrung to 22-23 lb but it did not improve. Could it be because of the racket?

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Sorry bud, I can not tell you where I am. Go ask Gary if you have a chance.
    Depend on the stringer. Also a freshly strung racquet in general plays better.
    Yes, after a while, the string will not drop tension significantly or noticeable. My feeling is that after 3~4 month, the string do not feel good anymore (or tension has drop out of my range) I restring my racquet every 6 month.