receiving smash, racket in wrong place!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gingerphil79, Oct 19, 2009.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I was playing a doubles league match at weekend der and I found I was being caught quite often by a smash to the body.

I wondering if it was my grip cause the face of the racket seemed to be al wrong when I tried to hit the shot, I had to make sum desperate attempt wit my arm and wrist in al sorts jus to mess up the shot :crying:.

Smashes to the floor, am good at, looked at badminton bible and seen dat mayb my grip was slightly off but I have now corrected it.

Wot can I do to sort this problem, seems to b big weakness in my game.

Where shud I hold racket when defending after I lift shuttle. Is there anything else I can do to help couter this problem??

Cheers people :eek:

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Aiming at the body is a standard tactic in doubles, as it's the hardest place to defend. The racket-side hip is an especially vulnerable spot.

It would be useful to have more information about these smashes -- the ones that caused you more difficulty. Were they flat or steep? Were they coming to your upper body and face, or more around hip level?

3. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    They were flat and at my chest to head height

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Got you. These smashes can be tricky to deal with, especially if they surprise you. Here's a few ideas for you to think about:

• How far back are you standing? I would recommend one small step back from the exact centre.
    • From this position, a powerful smash (at the chest/head) will go out the back. Dodge it!
    • Otherwise, the smash will be a bit slower. You may have enough time to adjust your grip more than usual
    • Flat smashes are a great opportunity to counter-attack. Drives and long blocks (pushes) are good options
    • If you can get into a crouch position with a panhandle grip (not always possible), you can easily drive the shuttle back

5. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    good stuff, Il definitely take those points on board. I really like the thought of turning his smash against him with a good push or drive shot :cool::D

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, that's definitely the way to go. Not only is a push/drive easier when the smash is flat, but a lift is actually more difficult than usual.

Another good option is a block to the net, but I'd go for the push/drive if you can. :)

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    As always, sound advice from Gollum.

One thing I think I should add is that when someone goes at your body with a smash, it's always good to take it as far in front of you as you reasonably can. The closer you let the shuttle get to you before making your shot, the harder it will be to get any sort of control when you do play your shot.