Receiving smashes!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wildstyler, Nov 4, 2002.

1. wildstyler

wildstyler Regular Member

student
    canada in the school year and hong kong in the sum
    I just played a badminton tournament last sunday, I did a pleasant job, but could of done better. But anyways, its about receiving the smashes that have been bothering me because I have been having troubles to receive smashes close to my body, the ones that are not near me, gives me a chance to place it somewhere I want. The smashes don't just aim at a certain spot, so i basically have trouble with smashes that are near my body, even the ones near the neck area. So could you guys come and help me on what I should do to improve the skills of receiving smashes. The other things i did was good, but this is where I lost most of my points.
    Thanks to all
    WiLdStYLeR

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe that maybe u need to improve ur foot work.

U have to get urself into a better "position" to receive smash, which give u better control on shot, as well as win a little bit more "react time". Can't just stand there, and try to do all ur job by arm, wrist and hand.

3. wildstyler

student
    reply to LazyBud

I know what you mean, but my footwork is better than the opponent, or not just the opponent, maybe lets put it this way, my footwork is in a decent condition, not prostar, but not bad. I believe I should work on my reaction time, but how could i do that, please explain to me. Thanks for your help, I appriciate it.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For me, as a defensive player, I use "playing against wall" to train my net play and react time when no one playing with me:

- standing really close to the wall, say within 3-5 ft (espeically good to practice wrist shot, and close to body returns)

- try to use various shot aginst the wall, some light drops, some powerful smashes (be careful, stand away a little bit, don't dmg ur racket!)

- try not to "aim" anything, but just randomly hit around, therefore, the wall bounces birdies back from different directions with different speed, u have to be quick to react to not the bird drop

- not necessary to stand still, u can "walk around" while hitting, therefore, bird can be returned either far from u, or really close to ur body. maybe help u to build up some experience about how to handle different returns

Not sure whether this will help or not, at least, work for me for years...

5. wildstyler

student
    Thx

Thanks buddy!
    I'll try it out.

More help would come to use because I want to have a variety of drills to do at one time.
    Thanks to all.

6. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    receiving smashes that is to the body/neck.
    i think footwork does not play a part here...
    it's how you hold your racket, how you crouch,etc...

7. Cruxradio

Cruxradio Regular Member

Guess they never recovered from jet-lag
    Here's what you need:

Heels: Off the ground, stay on your toes
    Knees: Bent!
    Torso: Lean forward! Your chin should be above your toes.

8. Californian

Californian Regular Member

For me, the most important thing is to keep my racket well out in front of my body so I can intercept the shuttle before it crowds me.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's an important point.

Cruxradio got some good points.

Mention the grip as well. Try getting ready to receive using backhand grip.

get a person to do some downward drives at your body. You take up defensive position, your friend stands near the net with some shuttles, throws the shuttle up and hits it slightly downwards to your general direction.

10. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

actually cheung... u dont have to be using backhand grip coz if you do, you might have trouble switching to forehand when you need it. for me, i do between forehand and backhand.

oh, Californian made a very good point, have your racket well out infront of you to intercept fast, you need to be faster, but its more efficient in terms of saving time on racket movement. If you intercept it close to you, then you have to make a big arm movement to do it, but if you intercept it well infront of you, you just need small wrist or perhaps forehand movement which is quicker than the whole arm. Plus, you give less time for your opponent to react. If you cant cope with intercepting well ahead of you, try to position yourself further back, but be very ready for a dropshot.

11. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I find a backhand grip can be useful even when defending on your forehand side. If you have to lift the shuttle to the back from a smash, a backhand grip lets you get under the shuttle a lot better. I think its easier to get it over the net player in this way if you are in trouble in a game.

12. ronk

ronk Regular Member

For a right hander and when the body smash is to the forehand body, try to take a step back with the right leg so that the left leg is forward and lift the racket in a slicing motion when taking the smash. The return is a slice to the net area.

If the smash is to the backhand, try taking it around the back (I could never do this stroke, lol). Some people also can take smashes between the legs.

Ron

13. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    For smash return, I usually return it backhand when it's close to me, backhand side, and even slightly close on my forehand side. The only time I return the smash w/ forehand grip is if it's on my far left (forehand). I find the backhand grip is easier to control, almost similar to the idea of a backhand vs. forehand serve, just less motion and less room for error.

14. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    A lot of good points made. Here is my little trick. Keep your fingers slightly loose. You have no way of knowing how the shuttle will come at you. Keep your fingers loose so you can change grip as you see fit. Don't hold the racket with either the forhand grip or the backhand grip.

Of course, you have to do everything all previous posts mentioned as well.

Ben

15. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Very good suggestions here so far. I would like to add a couple of pointers here.

1. Stand facing your opponet that is going to smash. i.e. if he/she is cross court from you, turn your torso to face him/her directly.

2. Hold yr racquet in front of you. If you just put your arm in front of you, you will find that naturally, your palm will be slightly facing the front. So stand with your racquet in front of you and take most of your smashes with the backhand grip. Most people (not all), do not realize, that in terms of lifting the birds, our backhand is more powerful than our forehand.

My 2 cents ;)

16. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    really lots of gd points here thx so much to u guys.but it stil does not explain how to take smashes when its near your shoulder and abit higher like maybe towards the neck??

17. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Shawn, again, use your backhand. I know it is a little hard to picture this. Using your backhand grip (thumb facing the grip), try pushing the bird away from you. With this technique, you can drive back the bird away from you easily from your left and right shoulders and also away from your neck. Hope my explanation is clear. E.g. if the bird is coming towards your right shoulder (if you are right handed), using the backhand grip, you can easily push the bird away from you.

18. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    ok somewhat i understand what you are saying.im going to try it today and i wil give u my feedback.thanks.;)

19. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Oh I c u r from S'pore. I live in Canada now and play here lots. I was from S'pore too. I was back there last year and boy was it hot to play badminton there :crying: Good luck to yr badminton today.

20. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    oh ok ic.how haf u been playing alot of bad in canada??the sport isnt tt popular there.oh i am only having a training later but on wed i think i may have a friendly match with another sch.no la how can it be hot we all play in a badminton hall ma how can it be different.:eek: