User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    I wonder how do they measure smashes speed in badminton?

Is it the speed when the shuttlecock leaves the racquets

or

the moment just before the shuttle hit the ground??

Or

the average of the two.
    They measure a whole load of things, looking for high stats to put out there. But I think basic shuttle speed is measured using distance/time, therefore giving the km/hr or something like that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post
    All the "speed" is recorded when the shuttle left the racket. Otherwise we would see many people die in badminton matches.
    did you ever see any kind of recording device(s) placed next to FuHF when he delivered his "used to be record breaking" 332 km/h smash??
    If not, where did they put the speed gun and how did they record his smash??..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I understand, it's some kind of high-speed camera. Thus to record the highest speed, you need to be able to aim at the right place at the right moment, which is much harder in a real match.

Furthermore, in another thread I saw someone saying that usually the speed is measured later than what Yonex did this time. So no wonder TBH got a much higher number than FHF.

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    did you ever see any kind of recording device(s) placed next to FuHF when he delivered his "used to be record breaking" 332 km/h smash??
    If not, where did they put the speed gun and how did they record his smash??..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Exactly..^^

..thus 2 different scenarios, different conditions and set-ups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I understand, it's some kind of high-speed camera. Thus to record the highest speed, you need to be able to aim at the right place at the right moment, which is much harder in a real match.

Furthermore, in another thread I saw someone saying that usually the speed is measured later than what Yonex did this time. So no wonder TBH got a much higher number than FHF.
    Forum member Jerby first mentioned this in the Arc ZS Review thread in the Equipment review section.

FHF' s smash was recorded by looking at the first 15cms or so of shuttle flight after being stuck by the racket.

TBH's smash was recorded by looking at only the first 3 cms of shuttle flight after being struck by the racket - the moment of maximum speed only !!!!!

No wonder TBH's figure was much higher !!!!!! It didn't take into account the significant deceleration affecting the shuttle over the longer distance in the case of FHF .

Oh so sneaky Yonex. Great marketing though.

Unfortunately, most people on this forum are ignoring the simple fact that the system used when measuring the Arc ZS smashes is fundementally flawed and designed to deceive. People just WANT to believe desperately that this racket is the new messiah so they turn a blind eye to the simple facts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another yonex style to impress people ... I wonder if Malaysia Boleh!! Yonex Boleh?? I hate their style, but I love their product but not the price . But yes , Li Ning have much ridicilous price!!!Junior brand(in badminton) but more ridicilous price then yonex . Im not confidence with Li Ning technology myself , but they dont do any market strategy(yet?) like yonex are doing/having right now ~~~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is there a math professor or............nerd..

Quote Originally Posted by roy b View Post
    FHF' s smash was recorded by looking at the first 15cms or so of shuttle flight after being stuck by the racket.

TBH's smash was recorded by looking at only the first 3 cms of shuttle flight after being struck by the racket - the moment of maximum speed only !!!!!

No wonder TBH's figure was much higher !!!!!! It didn't take into account the significant deceleration affecting the shuttle over the longer distance in the case of FHF .
    ..(i know there are some math buffs in BC)..to help us formulate or quantify or figure out the actual speed of FHF's smash if the shuttle was recorded at the same 3 cm distance after it was struck by the racket (like TBH's smash)?
    *FHF's record is @ 332 km/h

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forum member Jerby first mentioned this in the Arc ZS Review thread in the Equipment review section.

Unfortunately, most people on this forum are ignoring the simple fact that the system used when measuring the Arc ZS smashes is fundementally flawed and designed to deceive. People just WANT to believe desperately that this racket is the new messiah so they turn a blind eye to the simple facts.
    recording the maximum speed is not fundamentally flawed.
    It is the slower speed recordings that weren't conduct in the same way as TBH test. Tests should be done in consistent manner with each others or else they shouldn't be used for direct comparison with each other

personally, i much rather have 1/2 of that 421 kpm and landing the shuttle at strategic position, like inches from the line or hard to reach spot around your opponent's body
    Last edited by cooler; 10-23-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    It is the slower speed recordings that weren't conduct in the same way as TBH test. Tests should be done in consistent manner with each others or else they shouldn't be used for direct comparison with each other

personally, i much rather have 1/2 of that 421 kpm and landing the shuttle at strategic position, like inches from the line or hard to reach spot around your opponent's body
    for what? scratch?
    But all seriousness. To smash that fast, the angle is in pretty limited range. Also, Master Cooler is right, Location is more important than the pure speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart View Post
    for what? scratch?
    But all seriousness. To smash that fast, the angle is in pretty limited range. Also, Master Cooler is right, Location is more important than the pure speed.
    all i can divulge is that i have different 'hard to reach' spots for male and female opponents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post

"The slower speed recordings weren't conducted in the same way as the TBH test" - well, hardly surprising since the slower speed recordings were done a long time before the TBH test was ever imagined !!!!!!!

So, just a minute, which came first ? The chicken or the egg ?

Recording the maximum speed (over 3 cms) IS flawed when the norm is to measure over a longer distance. It was simply done the SECOND way to deceive and to sell more rackets.

Yes, tests should be done in a consistant way - so why did Yonex 'move the goal-posts' so to speak, from the known, general way of measurement ??

I don't think I have to answer that one.

As to the relative merits of a hard smash, I agree with you totally. As I have said before, smashing is just one of many facets of our great game - and one of the least important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said, such "speed measuring" is kind of meaningless unless we measure everything in exactly the same situation.

But I don't think it's fair to call the Yonex measurement "flawed". How come measuring speed at 15cm is OK but at 3cm is not? If FHF can have his smash measured at 0.01cm and get 600km/h, do it. It's good for badminton. I don't see any reason why such measurement should be criticized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as Yonex mention the "3cm", I don't see anything wrong with hyping 421km/h.

The technology of measuring speed is evolving. As I said, in 1997 DJ's smash is measured at 199km/h. Around the same time Simon Archer's smash (I have the impression that it's not in a match, correct me if I am wrong) is measured at 260km/h. Those measurement must be taken over an even longer distance than 15cm. So should we go back to those very old ones? Of course not.

"The slower speed recordings weren't conducted in the same way as the TBH test" - well, hardly surprising since the slower speed recordings were done a long time before the TBH test was ever imagined !!!!!!!

So, just a minute, which came first ? The chicken or the egg ?

Recording the maximum speed (over 3 cms) IS flawed when the norm is to measure over a longer distance. It was simply done the SECOND way to deceive and to sell more rackets.

Yes, tests should be done in a consistant way - so why did Yonex 'move the goal-posts' so to speak, from the known, general way of measurement ??

I don't think I have to answer that one.

As to the relative merits of a hard smash, I agree with you totally. As I have said before, smashing is just one of many facets of our great game - and one of the least important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as Yonex mention the "3cm", I don't see anything wrong with hyping 421km/h.

The technology of measuring speed is evolving. .
    No. No. No. It is not 'evolving'. That gives an impression of a constant improvement.

The technology of measuring speed is 'changing' - and for marketing purposes only. Why change, if not to deceive ?

Maybe car performance should be measured over 0 to 6 mph rather than 0 to 60 mph ???????

Re. earlier speed records, sorry but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, by the way, they conveniently don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.....Why can't they do a record in a professional game? If they have all that time making marketing schemes, go invent a Eagle-Eye for badminton! Geez~!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast