YOG 2010 (Youth Olympic Games, Singapore) News

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Loh, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The Montreal Gazette
    October 20, 2009 6:34 PM

By J.D. Gravenor

You can’t tell just by looking at her, but Grade 11 student Dorothy Yeats is living a double life.

Five days a week, this 16-year-old attends classes at a high school in Montreal West. But on the side, she is also an elite wrestler with Olympic dreams and more than her share of medals. And she added another one to her collection this past summer at the Canada Games, held in Prince Edward Island.

“I won a gold medal,” said the student at Royal West Academy.

But wait, there’s more!

Yeats also finished first in her category at the Canada Cup, held in Guelph, Ont., in July; and she also took home a freestyle wrestling gold at the Victory Cup international tournament in Izmir, Turkey, this past June.

Sure, there are lots of athletes going to school in Quebec, but Yeats is among an elite group that manage to juggle intense sports training, travel, social life and academics. Nobody said it was easy to be one of the country’s best young athletes. But Yeats has lots in common with other elite athletes: an ability to work hard, persevere and maintain focus.

“The fact that these students are able to manage both academics and sports is quite impressive,” said Irini Margetis, vice-principal at Royal West Academy. “This is a school that demands a lot from its students. It shows that they are very disciplined.”

Here’s what a typical week looks like to Yeats, whose father was a five-time Olympic wrestler. Every day except Saturday (her day off) she trains not once, but twice. Before school, she will be swimming laps, cycling, running, biking or shooting hoops. After school, it’s back to the gym, where she lifts weights and practices her wrestling moves.

It’s definitely not a lifestyle meant for everyone, and she doesn’t recommend it for all.

“It’s not for someone who thinks their social life is more important,” she said. “I don’t have a lot of extra time to go to parties and hang out with friends. I have to do my homework.”

But then again, she has met a lot of people through her sport.

“A lot of my friends are from wrestling,” she said. “And I met a lot of friends at the Canada Games.”

So what’s on the horizon for this budding wrestler?

“Next summer is the Junior Olympics in Singapore,” she said. “That’s what I’m aiming to do.”

Grade 10 student Alexia Zednik is a swimmer with the Pointe Claire Swim Club.

“Sometimes, I train in the morning before school. So I have to wake up at quarter to five and train for an hour and a half,” said the 15-year-old.

“And after school, I take the train back out (to the Pointe Claire Swim Club) and train another two-and-a-half hours. Then, I go home and do my homework.”

Sometimes, she’s almost too tired to do her homework.

“But you just have to get it done,” she said, adding that she has to do it promptly, or her assignments will cut into precious sleep time needed for her morning workouts.

She’s used to her lifestyle.

“It’s for people who really want it,” she said. “It’s for athletes who want to reach the top.”

And she’s well on her way. Zednik has won eight gold medals in provincial championships, and she took first place in two events at the Eastern Conference Championships last year.

“And there are a few other models,” she said.

Her future dreams include the possibility of a trip to represent Canada at the Olympic Games.

“I really hope to go to the Olympics in three years (London 2012), or the ones after those,” she said.

Fifteen-year-old Johanne Pollock has taken her love of soccer to the world stage, as part of the Canadian Junior Girls’ Soccer Team at the World Maccabiah Games in Israel this past July. And the team did pretty well, indeed.

“We won gold,” said the Grade 10 student who usually plays midfield, but was deployed as a striker during the tournament.

In terms of adventures, she ranks the international games victory as No. 1. They made friends with other students, and were taken on cultural tours of Israel. But it took a lot of hard work to get in shape for the event beforehand.

“My coach gave me a 25-page workout schedule. It took about two hours. It was a lot of work,” she said. “I also try to eat healthy no matter what. And I work out a lot. I run, almost every morning during the summer.”

It takes a lot of sacrifice and determination to achieve, but Pollock recommends the lifestyle.

“If you’re doing something you love, just go for it,” she said. “You have to be determined. When you work hard it definitely pays off.”

It was Pollock’s grade-school coach who recommended that she try out for the Canadian national team.

“I saw the talent in her,” said Norman Katz, physical-education co-ordinator at Royal Vale Elementary School. “It’s something that I felt she could do because of her talent and dedication. I thought she deserved the chance to try out for the team, and everything turned out to be a Cinderella story after that.”

What sets these athletes apart from other students?

Katz lists a few qualities, including having a strong work ethic, an ability to be resilient, focused and not make excuses.

“I can see it early in their lives,” he said. “If they’re focused, if they have this drive, you can see it in their eyes. They want something and they’ll do what it takes to get it.”

Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Chen plays badminton in tournaments all over the country.

“It’s the fastest sport in the world,” said the Grade 9 student. “It requires a lot of fitness and cardio. You need to have good strategy and concentration.”

Chen finished the 2008-2009 badminton season ranked No. 1 in the under-14 singles and doubles categories. She described her workout routine.

“I only train three times a week, but it’s pretty intense,” said Chen, a member of the Club Elite de Badminton Laval.

On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, she works out from 6:30-8:45 a.m. On Saturday, she trains from 9 a.m. to noon.

“It’s just for some people,” she said. “It depends on your personality and interests. Some people prefer going out with friends to go to a training centre. But I would sacrifice my social life for my sport.”

Meanwhile, she thinks badminton, which is particularly strong in Asian countries, is an underrated sport.

“I love it,” she said. “The stereotype of badminton is it’s for the backyard. But if you actually play, I think it’s a great sport.”

But that doesn’t mean that she plans to put her sport ahead of her education.

“Badminton is an Olympic sport, but I’m not sure I would want to go to that level. I would rather focus on my studies and school,” she said.

Royal West Academy students Johanna Pollock (left to right), Alexia Zevnik, Dorothy Yeats and Cynthia Chen say their training schedule is not for everyone. Photograph by: John Kenney, The Gazette

Attached Files:

2. neohenry

neohenry Regular Member

Thank you for this post. And you saved the best (badminton) for last. :)

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I knew you'd like it! :D

4. Scanner

Scanner Regular Member

Accounts
    haha i love it mr loh

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    European tournament Venue and date for YOG Qualification confirmed

Badminton Europe
    30 November 2009

Today it has been confirmed that the Danish city of Svendborg will be hosting the European Qualification tournament for the 2010 Youth Olympic Games.

The qualification event will take place from 19-21 March 2010.

The top 5 ranked players in men's and women's singles will qualify for the first ever Youth Olympic Games which will take place in Singapore in August 2010.

Svendborg will be the place where the European qualifiers for the 2010 Youth Olympic Games will be found. The event which is used to determine the top 5 players in men's singles and women's singles will be played over three days, from 19-21 March.

As each NOC can only qualify one player for the Youth Olympic Games, the entries for the qualification event has also been limited so that no Member Association/NOC can enter more than one player per event.

An official invitation will be sent to all of Badminton Europe's Member Associations no later than 3 months before the event is due to begin.

The seeding and the draw will be made on Tuesday 16 March 2010. The seeding will be made according to the European Junior Ranking. The results from the 2010 German Junior will be the last results taken into consideration for the European Junior Ranking.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Introducing Lyo and Merly - Mascots for the first Youth Olympic Games

YOG Official Website
    21 Nov 2009

http://www.singapore2010.sg/public/sg2010/en.html

With just 266 days to go before Singapore hosts the world's first Youth Olympic Games (YOG), Lyo (pronounced as Leo) and Merly are ready to blaze the trail. The official mascots for the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympic Games (Singapore 2010) were unveiled by Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports today.

As mascots for Singapore 2010, Lyo, a lion cub, embodies the values of Excellence and Friendship, while Merly, a merlion, personifies the values of Excellence and Respect. Through their acts and stories, they will promote the Olympic Values of Excellence, Friendship and Respect.

Welcoming Lyo and Merly to the Singapore 2010 family, Mr Goh Kee Nguan, Chief Executive Officer of the Singapore Youth Olympic Games Organising Committee, said, "As mascots for Singapore 2010, Lyo and Merly have to appeal to the international community and the youth. At the same time, they must also possess a strong Singapore's identity. As the host city for the inaugural YOG, we hope to share our culture with friends around the world. What better way to do it than to have Lyo and Merly represent us and the youth, and be the faces of the first YOG."

From 14 August to 6 September 2009, members of the public were also invited to name the mascots. About 375 entries were received from more than 20 countries. Lyo was named by Sean PANG Yi Wei, while TUNG Chi Jun picked the name for Merly. Sean and Chi Jun, both Singaporeans, had the opportunity to be amongst the first to meet Lyo and Merly in person today. They were also presented with a pair of mascot plush toys and Singapore 2010 merchandise for naming the mascots.

Lyo is short for "Lion of the Youth Olympics". A sports lover, he is fun-loving and hopes to inspire young people to keep fit and enjoy sports for life. He symbolises youths' boundless energy, their determination to live life to the fullest and zeal to strive for Excellence.

Merly got her name from "mer" (meaning the sea in French) and "l y" stand for liveliness and youthfulness. A passionate advocate of environment protection, Merly believes that everyone has a role to play in working towards a sustainable future. She also wants to encourage young people to play an active role in their communities and promote respect for one another.

Lyo and Merly will be appearing at many Singapore 2010 events in the coming months to help create buzz and excitement for the Games. Lyo and Merly plush toys and other Singapore 2010 merchandise were also available for purchase for the first time at today's event. The first Singapore 2010 Official Olympic Store will open on 22 November 2009 at Takashimaya Square Basement 2.

#6 Loh, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Missing pictures:

1. Signature Pose

2. From left: Teo Ser Luck, Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Community Development (MCYS), Youth and Sports; Lyo, Singapore 2010 Mascot; Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for CYS & son; Ng Ser Miang, Chairman of SYOGOC; Merly, Singapore 2010 Mascot; and Niam Chiang Meng, Permanent Secretary, MCYS

Attached Files:

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sports at libraries

Jan 25, 2010

By Wendy Lim

YOUTHS and children can share their passion for and knowledge of sports through a series of Sports@Public Libraries events and activities that have been lined up to celebrate the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympics.

Through the activities, the National Library Board hopes to inspire the spirit of sportsmanship and encourage people to embrace the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect.

Youths can share their favourite sports-related books through videos, podcasts and blog posts.

The public can also nominate someone who has demonstrated the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect through his or her daily activities or submit photographs which showcase those values.

The public libraries will also be putting up displays on the history and interesting information about the 26 sports that will be competed at the Singapore 2010.

More information on the series of Sports@Public Libraries activities can be found at the Public Libraries website (www.pl.sg).

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Six scholarships for world's young athletes to train & study in S'pore

Channel NewsAsia
    24 January 2010 2324 hrs

By Ian De Cotta,

SINGAPORE : Organisers of the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) on Sunday revealed details of a sports scholarship programme for the world's young athletes.

The six scholarships are for study and training at the Singapore Sports School.

They will be awarded at every YOG to a deserving young athlete, aged between 13 and 15, from Singapore and each of the five continents.

The first batch of six scholarships will be awarded during the first YOG, which will be held from August 14-26.

They are fully funded by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports, and targeted at seven Olympic sports - aquatics, athletics, badminton, football, golf, sailing and table tennis.

Ng Ser Miang, chairman of the Singapore Youth Olympic Games Organising Committee and vice-president of the International Olympic Committee, said the first batch of successful applicants is scheduled to begin their four-year term at the Sports School in January next year.

He said it will include another two years of the school's International Baccalaureate programme for those who can go further.

Mr Ng was speaking to journalists at the Singapore Cadet Fencing World Cup 2010, which is part of the on-going Friendship Games, at the Suntec International Convention Centre.

"This is going to be one of the legacies of the games in Singapore," said Mr Ng. "The YOG is about sports, culture and education, and it is something Singapore believes in.

"So the scholarships will continue to link Singapore to the Olympic movement and the youth of the world by bringing them here to learn, train and to take part in sports."

The scholarships will cover the athletes' school fees, accommodation, training and airfare to their home countries after the first two years.

Applications, which are not restricted to YOG athletes, opened on Sunday and will close on April 16.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    12 Shuttlers to Represent Nation at World Juniors

Jakarta Globe
    January 24, 2010

By Ami Afriatni

For some of Indonesia’s top young shuttlers, the road to Singapore goes through Mexico.

Twelve of the country’s best singles players under the age of 18 will compete in the World Junior Championships in Guadalajara, Mexico, on April 18-25 with an eye toward the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in Singapore from Aug. 14-26.

“We want to meet the maximum quota allowed at the championships, six boys and six girls. We’ve asked our talent spotter to recruit others from outside the camp,” said Lius Pongoh, head of athletes’ development at the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI).

The top seven in each event in Guadalajara will advance to Singapore.

Three of the group are already at the national training camp in Cipayung, East Jakarta. National players Evert Sukamta and Hermansah will compete with four others, while Rena Suwarno will be the only national player among six girls.

Before leaving for Mexico, the youngsters will try their luck at the Asian Continental Qualification tournament in Kuala Lumpur from March 21-28. The top five in each event advance to the Youth Olympics.

Earning a place will be difficult, Lius said. At the 2009 Asian Youth Under-19 Championship, Evert lost in the opener while Hermansah bowed out in the semis.

Indonesia’s only title came from boys’ doubles, when Yohanes Rendy Sugiarto and Angga Pratama beat top-seeded Kheng Yew Hong and Han Ou Yao of Malaysia.

“I have to admit our shuttlers in singles are not that good compared to doubles, but the chance is still there. I hope they can give their best,” Lius said.

Indonesia also hopes to qualify athletes in 12 other sports for the Youth Olympics. The Indonesian Olympic Committee (KOI), along with the government, will provide the budget for federations to prepare their best athletes, said Ade Lukman, the head of the KOI cultural and Olympic education commission.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Five-city stop for YOG Flame

My Paper
    27/01/2010

Journalist: CHIA HAN KEONG

COME July, Singapore will be joined by five cities in celebrating the journey of the Youth Olympic Flame from Greece to the Republic for the inaugural Youth Olympic Games (YOG) from Aug 14-26.

The five cities Germany's Berlin, Senegal's Dakar, Mexico's Mexico City, New Zealand's Auckland and South Korea's Seoul will each represent one of the five continents: Europe, Africa, the Americas, Oceania and Asia, respectively.

They will host celebratory events when the Flame, scheduled to be lit at Ancient Olympia in Greece on July 22, makes a stop in each city.

Each selected city will host youth representatives chosen by National Olympic Committees across its respective continent. They will participate in a torch-passing ceremony at the city's celebrations.

During its stay in each of the five cities, the Flame will also journey to significant landmarks so that as many people as possible can welcome the Flame to the continent.

It is scheduled to arrive in Singapore on Aug 5. The Flame will then go on a six-day, round-island torch relay before it is used to light the cauldron at the opening ceremony of the YOG.

Yesterday's announcement, made with 200 days left to the Games, was endorsed by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), even though it has discontinued torch relays outside Games host nations after the 2008 Beijing Olympics relay was marred by protests and demonstrations.

Said Mr Ng Ser Miang, chairman of the Singapore YOG Organising Committee: "Since this is the inaugural edition of the Games, there is a need to promote it globally

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    YOG organisers testing IT system which will be operational in May

Channel NewsAsia
    05 February 2010 1812 hrs

By Patwant Singh,

SINGAPORE: The IT infrastructure and design for the world's first Youth Olympic Games has been completed and is now going through a testing phase.

The infrastructure such as scoring and results, games management and accreditation is critical to the smooth running of the Games.

Two floors at the YOG Headquarters have been dedicated to the IT labs where the system is being put through its paces.

Global company Atos Origin is behind the system, having worked at past Olympics, including the Beijing Games. Still the Singapore project proved challenging.

Herbert Leung, CEO, Atos Origin (Asia), said: "Youth Olympics is close to Olympics, but it is not the same as well. Some of the criteria is already different from main Olympic Games. We have to work together a lot with SYOGOC to define and how we are going to optimise it."

Optimisation was critical, given the short turnaround time to design and test the system.

On a brighter note, there will also be transfer of expertise to Singapore, with the Infocomm Development Authority actively involved in the project.

Lim Bee Kwan, director, Technology Division, Singapore YOG Organising Committee, said: "For the local IT industry and the local development in terms of our support of the Games, obviously a lot of the professionals that have actually gone through the process will have the expertise to handle large events."

And being a Youth-focused event, there will be extensive use of new media applications.

Some 2,000 computers, 170 servers, 500 networks and about 1,000 personnel will run the system during the Games. The system will be deployed at the 18 competition venues, the Culture and Education Programme sites and Main Media Centre, among others.

Because there is no margin for error, the organisers have put in a few back-up systems, including conducting 30,000 hours of testing here in the lab. And the testing would continue even when the system is operational in May so that come Games Day, everything functions without a glitch.

Attached Files:

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Countdown to YOG continues with heartland clock and kites

Channel NewsAsia
    28 February 2010 0003 hrs
    SINGAPORE: The clocks in the heartlands are ticking down to the Youth Olympic Games in August.

Launched by Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, it is the first countdown clock for the North West District.

That is not all the district is doing to celebrate the games.

The North West Brisk Walking Club aims to cover 250,000 kilometres from now until August.

Over at the Marina Barrage, about 170 youths from local and international schools came together to create 169 kites - which is the number of days to the Games.

Each kite carries the wishes of youths for the Youth Olympics.

Countdown clock to the Youth Olympic Games

Attached Files:

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    YOG organisers introduce online virtual platform to connect youths worldwide

Channel NewsAsia
    06 March 2010 2140 hrs

By Lynda Hong,

SINGAPORE : There has been much talk about the inaugural Youth Olympic Games (YOG) in Singapore in August.

And organisers are giving a sneak three-dimensional preview on the online platform.

Singapore 2010 Odyssey is a virtual world presenting a simulation of the YOG.

There are quests and games styled on a futuristic theme.

Users will have to download an application on their desktop, after which they will be all set to meet users from all over the world.

They can create their own avatars, compete in games, and learn more about the Olympic values of Excellence, Friendship and Respect.

Attached Files:

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Shuttlers Eye Slots in Inaugural Youth Olympics

Jakarta Globe
    March 08, 2010

As the seniors gear up for some of the world’s top tournaments, Indonesia’s youngsters face two qualifying tournaments to earn tickets to the inaugural Youth Olympic Games, which take place in Singapore on Aug. 14-26.

The first tournament is the Asian Youth Under-19 Championship in Kuala Lumpur on March 21-28, followed by the World Youth Championship in Guadalajara, Mexico, on April 16-25.

Asia has five berths in both boys and girls singles, the only badminton events in the Youth Olympics. The top seven boys and girls at the World Youth Championship also qualify for Singapore.

The Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) has called up four boys and four girls shuttlers for the tournament in Kuala Lumpur.

Junior national team members Evert Sukamta and Hermansah will join Riyanto Subagja and Shesar Hiren Rhustavito, both from Djarum Kudus Club, in boys singles.

Rena Suwarno, Elisabeth Purwaningtyas, Yulia Yosephine Susanto and Ganis Nur Ramadhani will compete in girls singles.

“We have yet to decide who will be sent to Mexico, but those eight have a great chance if they play well and show improvement in Kuala Lumpur,” Fung Permadi, head of the PBSI talent scouting department, said on Monday.

The PBSI will also send doubles shuttlers to Malaysia and Mexico. Ericsson Rusdianto and Nur Wahid, Jones Ralfy Jansen and Dandi Prabudita, and Ricky Karanda and Wahyu Nayaka will compete in boys doubles. Della Destiara Haris and Suci Rizki Andini, Tiara Rosalia Nuraidah and Gebby Ristyani Imawan, and Ery Oktaviani and Dian Fitriani will make up the girls’ teams.

16. passiontea

passiontea Regular Member

woah, YOG going to be a blast for badminton. Looks like singapore players need to buck up to stay in the fight.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Seeking 2,400 torchbearers

The Straits Times
    Mar 12, 2010

By Terrence Voon

THE search is on for 2,400 Singaporeans to be torchbearers for the flame of the inaugural Youth Olympic Games.

From now till April 15, citizens and permanent residents aged 12 and above can apply for the honour at www.milliondeeds.sg.

About 560 torchbearers will be selected through a ballot, while the rest will be picked from schools and other organisations.

The YOG, to be held here from Aug 14 to 26, will see a torch relay that will travel through Singapore's five community districts.

The final torchbearer will light the cauldron at the opening ceremony on Aug 14.The YOG, to be held here from Aug 14 to 26, will see a torch relay that will travel through Singapore's five community districts. -- PHOTO: BUSINESS TIMES

Attached Files:

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Organisers unveil torch for Youth Olympic Games

Channel NewsAsia
    12 March 2010 2256 hrs

By Patwant Singh

SINGAPORE: It's purple, made of aluminium and will soon be a world-famous symbol of the spirit of sportsmanship.

And we're talking about the first Youth Olympic Games torch which made its maiden public appearance on Friday.

A simple ceremony at NorthLight Primary School to show the world the torch.

Doing the honours were Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Vivian Balakrishnan and the very first two torch bearers, who were students of NorthLight Primary School.

The torch weighs about one kilogramme and is made of aluminium. It combines the dual elements of fire and water.

Also revealed was the design for the community cauldron.

Lee Chuan Jie, 16, and Noradlina Abdul Hadi, 15, were thrilled to be part of the torch journey.

NorthLight Primary School was selected as the school is twinned with Greece, the ancient home of the Olympic Games.

Lee Chuan Jie said: "I was surprised because I am not good in sports or I have never won any medal in sports."

Some 150 of these torches will be made for about 2,400 torchbearers. A total of 560 of torchbearers will be selected by random ballot.

The public can apply online at the Million Deeds Challenge website www.milliondeeds.sg.

The idea is to get Singaporeans to be part of this historic event.

Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong said: "You can be a torchbearer. Or you can rally your friends, families and neighbours to cheer the flame and your community torchbearers as the relay passes your home, school or workplace. Or you can volunteer to organise or join in the festivities at the various community celebration sites at the end of each relay day.

"As the excitement builds up to the YOG, it is timely to remind Singaporeans not to miss this opportunity to have a hand in shaping the YOG story. Singaporeans rejoiced as a nation when we won a silver medal at the Beijing Olympics. I do not know when we will win another Olympic medal, but I know we have already won a gold by hosting the inaugural Youth Olympic Games. And that is a record which no other country can ever take away from us."

The flame will be lit in Greece in July and travel to five cities in five continents. It will arrive in Singapore on the August 5.

This will be followed by a six-day round-the-island torch relay. The exact route and the distance each runner will cover will be announced later.

Design Inspiration

The Youth Olympic Flame (JYOF) torch takes its design inspiration from fire and water.

Fire represents the Youth's passion and burning desire to learn and excel, blazing the trail in life. Water represents Singapore, with its origins as a seaport; and the vibrant and dynamic nature of Singapore as an island city-state.

The torch was designed to combine the dual elements of fire and water, with the water wave on the torch body and a flaming fire on top.

Technical Specifications

The Torch is made of aluminum, with the handle coated with non-slip material.

Width: 5 to 8 cm
    Height: 60cm
    Weight: Approximately 1 kg

The Community Couldron

The Community Cauldron is a small cauldron designed and produced to hold the Youth Olympic Flame. The use of the Community Cauldron allows the Flame to be displayed at the Community Celebration sites in Singapore and each of the five other cities that the Journey of the Youth Olympic Flame will pass through.

Technical Specifications:
    Diameter (of bowl): 1.1m
    Height: 1.1m
    Weight: Approximately 135 kg

Safety Lantern

Safety lanterns are used to transport the Youth Olympic Flame when not carried by a torchbearer.

At the start of each relay day, the Youth Olympic Flame is taken from the safety lantern to light the torch. At the end of the day, the Flame from the torch is transferred to the safety lantern for safeguarding.

A number of safety lanterns are kept alight with the Youth Olympic Flame in case the Flame carried by the torch or other device go out unexpectedly (e.g. from high winds). In addition, the safety lanterns continue to hold the Flame during the duration of the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympic Games (Singapore 2010).
    Technical Specifications:

Dimensions: 21.4cm x 18.3cm x 3.22cm
    Weight: Approximately 2.88kg

Attached Files:

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Street Festival performers to showcase work at YOG in August

Channel NewsAsia
    16 March 2010 1825 hrs

By Sharon See

SINGAPORE : Youth performers at the annual Singapore Street Festival can look forward to showcasing their work at the inaugural Youth Olympic Games this August.

The Singapore Street Festival has been a platform for youth expression of creativity and the arts for the past nine years since it began in 2001.

And this year, the organisers have tied up with the Youth Olympic Games, lending the sporting event an element of culture and the arts - such as dance, music and even magic shows.

Street Festival performers will also get to showcase their work at the Youth Olympic Village.

Attached Files:

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    150 days to YOG, organising committee says all on track

Channel NewsAsia
    March 2010 1805 hrs

By Dylan Loh

SINGAPORE : 150 days to go before the Youth Olympic Games (YOG), and the Singapore YOG Organising Committee has said all are on track.

Everyone wants to be in on the first Youth Olympic Games, including Volvo - which has signed on as the 'Official Automobile Sponsor'.

Artist Charlene Tenio wants to give the event colour too, with her mural of Games' mascots Lyo and Merly - at the countdown party at the Fairmont Singapore - the official hotel partner.

The International Olympic Committee's President, Dr Jacques Rogge, will also make a second official visit to Singapore next Monday, adding to the buzz.

Dr Rogge will visit the Bishan Stadium, where Athletics will be held. Other places on his list include the Marina Barrage and Nanyang Technological University where the Games' fringe activities will be organised.

He will see how the preparations for the Games are progressing.

Dr Rogge's four-day visit will include a meeting with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

He will also address some 200 Chefs de Mission from participating countries who will gather in Singapore for a Games briefing seminar.

Singapore will be hosting the inaugural YOG from August 14.

Attached Files: