Long Service in Singles, yes but how?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ALERIN, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ALERIN

ALERIN Regular Member

I've always been told that long serve in singles should be high, deep and to the center.

But lately my long serve is high enough but too short, i know i'm doing something wrong but have not been able to find what it is yet.

My question is

Should i try to change my serve to make it deeper although flater or should i use the short service until i can solve this problem? :crying::crying::crying::crying:

Tks

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I assume that you're serving from a normal position in singles, which is a couple of steps back from the front service line.

If your serve is only a bit short (say, landing near the doubles back service line), then the easiest fix is to move your serving position forwards, so that you're standing as close to the front service line as possible. Providing your serve is high, you will still have time to walk back to base.

If your serve is very short, then obviously that won't work.

If your high serve remains ineffective, then it's time to switch to a low serve, and use a flick serve as backup.

A good low serve is definitely better than a bad high serve. A flick serve is not a good choice as your "standard" serve, since it gives your opponent too many attacking options.

3. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    If you need a remedy, then here is what I recommend doing. Watch loads and loads of good players do good high serves, and compare it to your high serve.
    But unless I see the technique itself, I wont be able to advise you on any sort of technique. Sorry!

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Try making the racquet come up from beneath the shuttle. This is important, as you don't want to be hitting the shuttle on the side. This also assumes you're using the right grip and technique.

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Its practice mate, my high serve was rubbish at 1 point but wit practice, I can now hit it between the doubles and the singles back line, even some landing ON the back line.

Use a good underarm swing and jus focus on the back line. Watch the grip to, make sure you are using a forehand grip

http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/grips/basic-grip.php

And make sure you hold grip at the lowest possible part without it being awkward, gives more power. But work on it, DO not try and use another serve to compensate for it will not help ur game 1 bit.

If you have a weakness, then practice it not until you can do it but til you can do nothing but do it right!

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's good advice in the long term, and I'd definitely recommend practising the serve until the problem disappears.

However, in a match, you have to make good tactical decisions based on what you can do now. If a high serve is causing you to lose points, then it's time to try another serve.

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Dats fair enough, if its a proper match, do wot u can do well. No point doin a long serve if its half court!! mite aswell do good tight short serve which atleast wont put u on the defensive immediately but you need 2 b lightening fast!

But when its practice and it doesnt matter, serve high even if you keep getting it slammed down ur throat, cause ul soon learn the right way to hit it to the back line! lol

8. ALERIN

ALERIN Regular Member

tks guys,

i think you are both right, i've to continue practicing the long serve, but until i am able to do a consintent long seve i will use a short serve.

I can not start all the points in a weak situation just because my long service is not good enough.

And of course will work, work and work to "fix" my log serve.

Tks