Racquet recommendation please! Is At600 suitable?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jayyt, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jayyt

jayyt Regular Member

I've been reading and reading all the racquet reviews for days now, and I'm not much closer to deciding on a racquet.

I play weekly, currently using a very old racquet, Yonex Titanium Pro 60. I play singles and doubles. I would love to smash with power and precision, can't seem to achieve that with my current racquet. I tried a lighter racquet (Ti-3) and I noticed a lot of difference.

I guess I'm a beginner, but I really want to work on improving my game, therefore I don't want to buy a beginners racquet, then upgrade later. I'd rather just buy one and improve on it.

I've been recommended the At600, but I don't know if it's TOO light. If it is, how will this affect my game? Also, the price is a little bit too high.

Any cheaper equivalents? The MP88 (Anyone know where I can still get this in KL/PJ, Malaysia)? What about APACS? Would appreciate any input!

My problem is that all my friends have either racquets that are out of production, or too expensive, so I don't get to try any that I am considering...

2. captainB

captainB Regular Member

Just to tell you.....At600 is flexible. so if you like to smash and all maybe go for more stiff rackets

3. jayyt

jayyt Regular Member

So what do you recommend? Thanks for your input!

4. captainB

captainB Regular Member

If you like Yonex rackets, maybe At900 P, At900 T, or At700. They're all armortec if only you like armortec. Other stiff rackets are like Arc10. But the problem for you is money and these rackets are pretty expensive. =(

5. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

if you can get victor in your area, try super nano 5 or ti-99. both are quite stiff, no frills kind of rackets, very well made and as they are also older model, their prices are more than reasonable.

of course, if you want to pay double/triple the price, then go with yonex.

6. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    From what you told us, I would say ARC10 would be best suited . It is medium-stiff. Head heavy , and it has a larger sweet spot than many other top-end Yonex series , it would enhance your attacking game especially your smashes

7. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Get your hands on a Pro-ace Thunderbolt 2 or 3. It's a very beginner friendly racket with quite a good smash. Also a good racket to grow with. You should be able to get it around RM200 strung + grip. I personally do not recommend the TB5 although I know folks who loved the racket.

Alternatively, you can try out APACS or RSL. They make good quality rackets at a decent price and is widely available in Malaysia. btw, where in .my are you?

8. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Oops... just realised KL/PJ. Do a search in the "marketplace" forum. There are quite a few recommended shops.

9. jayyt

jayyt Regular Member

Actually I just tried out the MP99...think it's too stiff, so I guess I'm not suited for stiff rackets...

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

MP99 takes a while to learn and is a fairly "advanced" racket. IIRC, the sweetspot is tiny for an iso. It's a very powerful racket though but is still suitable for control players.