getting better on your own

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by fillemon, Oct 24, 2009.

1. fillemon

fillemon Regular Member

hello people, brand new here,

i have some questions: here i go

i play in a club, but a recreative club, without a trainer, just people playing together. no training, or anything.

So how can i become better ? if nobody adress my problems ?

i thought of starting out with dvd's or so, so that i can learn the basics, like footmovement and then so on.

is that a good idea, via video training ? or is this a part that is hard to train on your own ?

what would you train as a beginner, and how would you instruct yourself and critize yourself

thanks

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

might be good as well if you upload videos of yourself playing, bc members can address problems.

as beginner you train to get basic things like correct grip and footwork.

3. ajack

ajack Regular Member

ungraduate student
    I'm just a beginner (I have trainned about 6 months).

I didn't even know how to hold a racket before I decided to find a coach for trainning. After looking around and asking many friends, I found out that badminton skills (such as smash, clear shot, and especially foot work) requires proper trainning. Badminton isn't like team sport (football, volley ball or so). How can you train smashing without a coach? And you really need free court to train your foot work (foot work is the key to each badminton skills).

IMO, you don't need Arc Saber 10 or high budget racket, just save your money and find a good coach. Anyway, if money isn't problems, a good badminton shoes should be bought for better foot work.

4. fillemon

fillemon Regular Member

thanks that would be nice.
    but having to film it is another problem.

at this moment i'm looking at youtube,
    Badminton - Instruction CCTV

well i'm gonna post some things i have alreadly learned today

and i'm learning a lot, or more precise, i'm getting confidend in a lot of moves, cause i do them the good way.

1)one thing i'm not doing well: is being relax on the field: i make to much movements: from what i can see from the video: the player takes as less steps as possible and in ideal situations they move back exactly like they came. it is like a reverse film.
    2)also because i'm to wild on the court i'm often out of balance, or not able to react fast enough. coming back to the center of the court is also something i need to be aware of.
    3)when swinging the rakket my grip is loose, when hitting i should grip tighter.
    4)in backhand i can take the shuttle higher: i always wait until the shuttle is almost next to me, so i swing horizontaly,; if i take the shuttle high, i need to prone my elbow.

that's from 1 video, now i need to get practising

5. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

If you want more from badminton besides recreational uses, then you really should look for a session with a trainer. I'm not saying stop playing with your current club, but just a couple of sessions a week with a trainer involved and you'll definitely notice a difference.

6. fillemon

fillemon Regular Member

yes that's true tedthefarmer.

but it is quite expensive, and i'm a bit a slow learning, and i like to train very repititive: every lesson 1 move. and most of the time you get a lot of information in one lesson, so much that you can hardly remember.

i think i'm gonna look for somebody in that club that want's to train just like me, instead of always playing matches, i need to find somebody who enjoys just like me a repitive training. i think i can learn myself a lot of good things via the youtube lessons, after that i might search for a trainer. at this time it is a bit to costly.

7. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

problem with repetitive training is unless you record yourself and compare to the youtube videos... your going to get really used to playing badminton a certain way. Playing matches is good as well, I train more than I play and I'm progressing but more slowly than if there was more of a balance.

8. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Well, it's expensive if you want private sessions, but really, I play about 4 times a week with a trainer and it's about £3.50 an hour. He's also an ex national player so he's really the best in my area to learn from. His private sessions are £20/hour and that's when it's expensive, but at that price you're really looking at going for big time in your country. If you just want improvement just attend some normal sessions with a trainer, you dont always need tailored training.

PS: If you need to improve on basics, I really recommend Gollum's website http://www.badmintonbible.com/ he puts it forward in ways which can appeal to beginners, intermediates, or advanced players. Getting a camera and watching yourself play can also help you to pick up on shots which you maybe don't notice in match or can help to extinguish bad habits.

#8 TedTheFarmer, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009