User Tag List

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Jan O Jorgensen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Like some, this was also my first close look at JOJ. I won't add anything to the observations of benjamin59 and kwun. He will certainly be able to put food on his table by accumulating chequues from R-16, QF and SF appearances. As far as champion material goes, he's not quite there (yet). Other than JOJ, the supply from Europe is mighty thin.
    ritely put...

in Asia, there are loads of players in Asia of similar level / potential as JOJ, even the newer Kenichi Tago fr Japan and Rumbaka from Indonesia... hope DAN's success in WC with their XD could inspire more younger European players to groom...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abedeng View Post
    Jorgensen needs to be more of a thinking player. That way, he can at least try to reduce exposure to his weaknesses or set up the rally to his advantage. At his age, his previous contemporaries Gade, Morten Frost and Flemming Delfs were all much better thinking players.

At times, when he plays the game, Jorgensen looked rushed and was not very calm despite not being under pressure.

Jorgensen might need more time to mature, so hopefully he will become like late bloomers Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen and Svend Pri, the only man to have beaten Rudy Hartono at the Thomas Cup and All-England Finals at Rudy's peak.
    Hi Abe: Are you sure Rudy was beaten at his peak or towards the later part of Rudy career? JOJ smash is feather-weight, even at half court he cannot kill the bird, anticipation wise he is reacting...but to reach CO final, pretty good though...but there is a long way for JOJ to go.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Hi Abe: Are you sure Rudy was beaten at his peak or towards the later part of Rudy career? JOJ smash is feather-weight, even at half court he cannot kill the bird, anticipation wise he is reacting...but to reach CO final, pretty good though...but there is a long way for JOJ to go.
    Rudy was much younger than Pri. He got beaten by Pri in the '73 Thomas Cup Finals and '75 All-England Final (which Punch Gunalan failed to do a year earlier), and that pretty much broke his aura of invincibility. I know, I remember '73 particularly well as Malaysia's worst Thomas Cup campaign of all time (we got beaten by Thailand in the same way Indonesia got beaten by China in '82 - while leading 3-1 on opening night).

Was living in London in '74-75, so I got to see the All-England finals live.

As for Jorgensen's power (or rather lack of it), part could be due to the slow shuttles, and the lack of deception. Even on full power, Gade, TH, LCW and LD do use deception so that opponents cannot guess which way the shuttle will be going until it's too late.

Anyway, with more experience, Jorgensen will learn the art of war.
    Last edited by abedeng; 11-22-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya
    they must read more on sun tzi art of war just like lyb did

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rudy was much younger than Pri. He got beaten by Pri in the '73 Thomas Cup Finals and '75 All-England Final (which Punch Gunalan failed to do a year earlier), and that pretty much broke his aura of invincibility. I know, I remember '73 particularly well as Malaysia's worst Thomas Cup campaign of all time (we got beaten by Thailand in the same way Indonesia got beaten by China in '82 - while leading 3-1 on opening night).

Was living in London in '74-75, so I got to see the All-England finals live.

As for Jorgensen's power (or rather lack of it), part could be due to the slow shuttles, and the lack of deception. Even on full power, Gade, TH, LCW and LD do use deception so that opponents cannot guess which way the shuttle will be going until it's too late.

Thanks...must be old age of mine...yeah, Pri was younger than Rudy and I saw Pri live at Stadium Negara with his powerful smash over Rudy. As for JOJ, gotta applause him for beating LCW and CJ in the same tournament. At the same time, the manner JOJ got beaten by LD pretty much tells us how much better is LD
    And Limsy is one post away from 11,000...yip, yip, hurray

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Thanks...must be old age of mine...yeah, Pri was younger than Rudy and I saw Pri live at Stadium Negara with his powerful smash over Rudy.
    Naah, Pri was a good 4-5 years older than Rudy Hartono. Had better skills than his teammate Flemming Delfs, but not known for good stamina (unusual for a Danish singles player, come to think of it). But like Poul-Erik Hoyer, Pri's best badminton only came about at age 28+.

Jorgensen was fortunate in beating an injured CJ. It was a match that almost got away from him. But maybe now that he has reached his first major final, the jitters will go away and he can perform at peak potential. This year, he's already qualified in 3 SS semifinals (including China Open final), there should be no reason for not being able to perform normally at the latter stages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naah, Pri was a good 4-5 years older than Rudy Hartono. Had better skills than his teammate Flemming Delfs, but not known for good stamina (unusual for a Danish singles player, come to think of it). But like Poul-Erik Hoyer, Pri's best badminton only came about at age 28+.

Jorgensen was fortunate in beating an injured CJ. It was a match that almost got away from him. But maybe now that he has reached his first major final, the jitters will go away and he can perform at peak potential. This year, he's already qualified in 3 SS semifinals (including China Open final), there should be no reason for not being able to perform normally at the latter stages.
    Abe, sorry for typo error, I meant to say 'yeah, Pri was older than Rudy...". and I remember the 'big whack sound when Pri smash at Stadium Negara...and I was cheering for Rudy then, many fans' favorite player at that time...also, you left for England a few years before I left for Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I seen , this lad is a very good player. One for the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

danish players tend to play longer than asian players so JOJ should have many more years to improve. Biggest advantage of JOJ is his reach. If he continue to make improvement on other area, he would be an A player for sure. For now, any other players would be happy to in the final with LD. To be beaten by LD is not a shame Even JP had improved since he played LD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the final Jorgensen:

1. smashed into the forehand side very predictably. You could almost see LD go for the block before the smash was fully executed.

2. served high to Lin Dan! Full points for courage on that one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JOJ has a long way to go... PG was much better than him at his age... but european always grrrrrrrrrow with age

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When u serve high or play lobbing shots to Lin dan , u re looking for trouble, Jorgensen got to play more like Peter gade , with more stroke play and attacking badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please everyone stop comparing JOJ with other baddy players his age - especially the Asian ones!
    European players do take more time to get bigger and to mature on court. when you compare JOJ to PG when PG was his age, it was a bit of a different time. And PG has always been great at adapting to the play that was before him.
    i do agree that JOJ needs more "coolness" and needs to be thinking more on-court, but these things will come when he get more experience.
    Im not saying that JOJ will definetly be the next great European player, however, i am saying that he has got the potential!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he gonna B z nxt peter gade or even better than him

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avnish View Post
    he gonna B z nxt peter gade or even better than him
    Nah, JOJ won't reach PG's level. He doesn't have PG's finesse or court vision.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please ignore...........

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Nah, JOJ won't reach PG's level. He doesn't have PG's finesse or court vision.
    well
    each player is different
    no one can be another one

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast