exercise to improve speed?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by stefanosx, Oct 24, 2009.

1. stefanosx

stefanosx Regular Member

student
    hi guys, i want to learn what exercise you do in training to move faster on court. i think my footwork skills are good and i am fast when i run ( not on court ) but i am not so fast in the court.

2. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    shadow work will be good to help you move more swiftly around the court

3. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    morning 10 km run / evening 10 km run ....... in 2 week you will be flying ......

4. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Running that distance won't help badminton at all. Fitness wise yes, but all your muscle fibres turn to slow twitch. Your mind reacts but your legs don't. Also running like that with no breaks completely fatigues you body resulting in injury.

I know from doing a 1/2 marathon a year ago, I got a lot slower on court, but could play for hours and hours.

Maybe adjust that to 5km (or less if you aren't fit) run every other day for fitness. This will help to maintain speed over the length of a game as your fitter.

To get faster learning to split step (if you don't already) will improve your speed greatly. Also lunges, fast feet exercises and as mentioned shadow work (if you have a court).

Of great benefit is skipping, if you have the space. If not find a field nearby and take a skipping rope with you on the runs! Of course playing badminton will also help improve speed over time, as will the correct footwork once learnt properly.

Of course time is also an issue if you have a job/schoolwork etc so try a mixture and see what works for you, or do alternate things in alternate weeks.

Don't overdo things though! Gradual improvements will reduce risk of injury and therefore be faster in the long run.

5. LordKevinX

LordKevinX Regular Member

Junior Player/U19
    Alright. Well! For myself, AA's is the answer.
    In other words, anaerobic alactic.
    If you say your footwork is good/smooth, than the way to get faster is by training your muscle fibres. I've learnt through courses in High School etc, that there are two different types of athletes. Fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibre athletes. Running a marathon requires a slow twitch muscle fibre type of athlete (they efficiently break down glucose and store it for energy) while fast twitch muscle fibre type athletes, use creatine rather than relying on the break down of glucose. But anyways, Badminton players are somewhat in between. You need good endurance and you also need to be fast/agile. Well, anyways, here's an example of some AA drills you could do. Reminder: Do these only 3 times a week, and keep about 2-3 day break in between.

What AA's really are, is footwork training, but you're going as hard and as fast as you can for a short period of time. Trust me, you won't feel the least bit tired after you're done these because you are using creatine stored in your body, not breaking down glucose (which also requires energy)

Interval 1: (Grab a court)

10 x 5sec sets.

First set: Only net, lunge to forhand corner, go back to base (somewhat near net), go to backhand corner, etcetc. Continue this for 5 seconds, stop, take a 30 second break (6:1 work to rest ratio)

Second set: Up and back. Lunge to net, shuffle backwards to near rear court, shadow smash, run back to net, etcetc. for 5 seconds (5:1 WR ratio)

Third set: Stand at middle base, from that position, jump to left (as if ur intercepting a short clear/lift), shadow smash, back to base, jump to right, etcetc. for 5 seconds (5:1 WR ratio)

Fourth set: Side to side defense, stand at middle of base. Lunge to left, lunge to right, etcetc. (shadow smash defense), 5 seconds (5:1 WR ratio)

You can make up a few types of footwork urself, but I recommend those 4 the most. Repeat them until you have reached 10 sets.

After that, take about 3 minutes break.

Now, instead of 5 seconds, you continue these drills for 10 seconds, but with only 8 sets.

This helps train your fast twitch fibre, and if done with high intensity, results will CERTAINLY show as time passes by.

Remember: You have to do these carefully, and spread apart because this is a very highly intense drill and it requires a lot out of your body. (You wont feel it, but ur knees etc will be at stress). So remember to space these AA's out every 3 days or so, and when you do them, make sure they are done at the BEST!

Also, make sure to do these drills BEFORE training. No point of doing AA"s after training. They won't do anything. Your body must be refreshed and not yet fatigued from any other type of training for this to be an efficient training method.

Best of luck! :)

6. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Another thread had this and it has helped me move much quicker. When it says 1:2 rest ratio what would that mean? Since I do one set rest for ~1 minute and do another set until I have 4 sets then I move on to the next combination.

I think the poster meant each set
    "Each combination takes between 45 seconds and 1 minute and there were always three groups so we had a 1:2 rest ratio which was helpful; it was still really hard though. (oh and i'm using forehand and backhand as if most people were right handed. sorry for the left-handers).
    1) Front and back movements. Move as if you're performing and clear and then go to the "net" and do a net kill and then go back for another clear, etc. Move straight forward and straight back. 10 times to the "net", 4 sets.
    2) Side-side movement. Move as if you're picking up a midcourt drop forehand and then back hand, taking a maximum of two steps out and two steps in. Make them explosive. 10 times forehand, 10 times backhand, 4 sets.
    3) Diagonal front and back movements. Move for a forehand drop, then return to the center and pivot out of there to do an around the head in the back court and go directly through the center for the forehand drop and repeat. 10 and 10, 4 sets.
    4) Same as #3, but with a backhand drop and a forehand clear. 10 and 10, 4 sets.
    5) Net triangle: move to peform forehand drop and come to the center and move to perform a backhand drop and repeat. 10 times forehand, 10 times backhand, 4 sets.
    6) Backcourt triangle: from center, move to perform forehand clear and return to center and move to perform an around the head clear. 10 times forehand, 10 times around the head, 4 sets.
    7) Right triangle: from center move to perform forehand drop then return to center and return a forehand clear and repeat. 10 times drop, 10 times clear, 4 sets.
    8) Left triangle: same as #7 but with backhand drop and around the head clear. 10 and 10, 4 sets.
    9) Side-side movement quick smash: move out to the forehand midcourt to perform a quick smash, jumping out to the forehand side. Return to the middle and then jump to the left performing an around the head smash. 10 and 10, 4 sets.
    10) Four corners: Move to the four corners of the court as randomly as desired. 20 corners total, 4 sets.
    11) This one isn't a footwork combination but we did it. We would hop on one leg and do 3 laps around an area that was about half the size of a full badminton court. You can't switch legs until you complete 3 laps. And then without stopping, at the end of the 3rd lap, switch legs and go around 3 more laps on that legs. Do this for 3 sets. This one only had a rest ratio of 1:1 though."

7. LordKevinX

Junior Player/U19
    1:2 rest ratio is the work to rest ratio.
    So say...
    you're on for 5 seconds, your break would be 10 seconds.
    and than you continue again.

Say if you're doing a 1 minute drill, and its 1:3
    than ur rest is 3 mins, ur work is 1.
    :)

8. SixSeven

SixSeven Regular Member

Hi, LordKevinX, when you say "lunge to net (or whatever)" , what does it really mean?

9. LordKevinX

Junior Player/U19
    Lunge to the net, as in... from the back of the court, run in play a net kill or a net shot. For teh net shot, lunge (with racket leg forward) and reach for the net, than shuffle to the back, shadow smash etcetcetc. Understand?

Just like a normal lunge when you would play a net shot. This doesn't apply if you're doing a net kill though.

10. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I believe jog twice a week 5km is good enough, before playing , practise some foot work:D

11. alwayslolzzz

alwayslolzzz Regular Member

student
    can u please help me out by writting out a specific program that would make me faster and give me more stamina in the shortest time possible. it can be 2 different programs.please, if you are willing just pm me the 2 programs.

12. PekingDuck

PekingDuck New Member

Student
    Would Be rly nice of you, if could post it or also pm me

thanks!

-PekingDuck-

ps:
    i am sry that my first post is already a request!

#12 PekingDuck, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  13. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

Another type of training I find helpful is resistence band training
    there are bands out there that are two loops and those loops are attached to the ankles of each leg
    I do lunges with those on and it greatly improves the strength of the fast twitch muscles
    more strength means more power meaning you can execute moves faster
    improving your balance is also important so you don't waste energy with lateral shifts in body mass when your aim is going forward

14. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    What kind of speed are you talking about?
    Cause what people have been saying is doing running and exercise (Running) that does nothing to increase your speed but strengthens your leg muscles and your stamina.

What makes you move a lot swift is reflex the better reflex you have the faster your body reacts to it which cause you to move faster.

Reflex is mostly for doubles because your trying to compete against how fast your reaction are and how swift you can move.

But in singles there's like a limit to how fast you move because your opponent can catch your movement and take advantage of you instead.