Shoulder Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by timmehtong, Oct 26, 2009.

1. timmehtong

timmehtong Regular Member

Whenever I've tried to rotate my right arm in a full 360 degree, my right shoulder feels as if two of my joints are rubbing/grinding against each other causing the pain. I've seen the doctor and they've x-rayed me telling me nothing's broken. Can anyone give me an idea of what they believe is the problem and/or give any advice that would help it heal, at a hopefully faster rate than just resting, and how to strengthen it when it's healed.

I also forgot to mention, I can somehow swing normally without pain when I'm playing a game, but I feel as if I'm holding myself back, mainly from the reason that I know there's pain in my shoulder from rotating.

Thanks,
    Tim

#1 timmehtong, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. seansj

seansj Regular Member

same problem here, though stretching helps. but the stretch only works temporarily. Anyone to advice??

3. petert1401

petert1401 Regular Member

Go here, it's the best link I know of for shoulder pain self-diagnosis :-
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000515/3079.html

Do the tests. My bet is that either or both of the Hawkins & Neer tests will be positive. Then report back...

4. pavdiu

pavdiu New Member

An MRI would probably be better as xrays don't show any soft tissues, it should allow you to see if there are any muscle/ligament injuries.

I also currently have a shoulder injury, apparently will be out 6-9months :(

Learning to play left handed :( :(

5. hiTheBirdie

hiTheBirdie Regular Member

Try this:

put you elbow at shoulder level (180 degrees), keeping this posture, try rotating several times. If you feel an inner slight pain, it might be your rotary shoulder muscle is weak. I had rotary injuries and had to stop badminton for at least a month. If it's that the case, you'll have enforce that muscle by working it out. Hope that helps!

6. timmehtong

hiTheBirdie, when i use your test, i felt my shoulder hurt a bit. I've already sat out for a month and I'm playing badminton again, and so far I've been able to play but I'm scared by the injury because I can feel it when i use your test.

7. hiTheBirdie

hiTheBirdie Regular Member

From my past experience, I had to do weight training to kind of improve this issue. It's a small muscle inside the shoulder that allows you to rotate your shoulder. Due to excessive and immediate explosive use of it could injure it. What I did is to work it out.

this is one of the exercised i used, there are plenty others.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4400218_external-shoulder-rotation-exercise-shoulder.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_4400221_internal-shoulder-rotation-exercise-shoulder.html

hope that helps!

8. petert1401

petert1401 Regular Member

That test is very similar to the Hawkins test in the link I mentioned above, and it indicates that tendinitis of the tendon that runs below the acromion in the shoulder is a likely cause. If this is the cause, you'll find that rest will help but it will probably flare up when you start playing regularly again.

Do the tests in the link I mentioned, it will give you a much better idea of where the problem may lie. I'm sure suggestions of stretching, warming up, rubbing in oil etc are well-intentioned, but they're no substitute for a professional diagnosis.

So go see a sports physiotherapist if you can, but failing that the link I gave is a good starting point.

9. timmehtong

Thanks everyone. Right now I'm training 3 days a week, but I'm warming up extensively right before I train. So far, I have not felt any pain during practice, but still it takes me a while to be fully confident(in my warmup) and let me arm a bit loose when i play. However when i just rotate it at random times, its slight pain.

Thanks again to everyone who gave suggestions and help.

~Tim

10. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    From what i hear you get pain when you do 360 turn in your shoulder right?
    What i'm guessing is when you perform smash is it because you tend to do unnecessary movement (turning your shoulder 360 degree performing smash) it is most likely because to much friction in your joint causing inflammation