If there's only one number for string tension, is that tension for main or cross?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by dawei94, Oct 26, 2009.

1. dawei94

dawei94 Regular Member

Student
    If someone says they're racket is strung at 25lbs, does that mean they strung it at 25x27, 23x25, or 25x25?

2. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    To me, it will be strung at 25x25 if owners says 25lbs.

3. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    IMO, anything below 26 will be strung at ##x##, and anything above 25 will be strung at ##-1 x ##+1 to maintain racket shape.

4. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

most tournament stringers would do xx/+2 lbs. unless specifically requested for stability specially in higher tensions but they do it automatically the same anyways throughout if one tension is mentioned. they go with what is the norm as of current.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It varies from person to person, regarding what "25" really means. Usually, I will do 24*26 for anyone simply mentions 25lb of tension. If you want specify tension, better give the stringer your own combo, such as 23*25, 24*25, or 25*27.

Personally, I believe most string machine setup, we should follow the 10% rule for cross.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

To me "X lbs" = 0.9X on the mains and X on the crosses. This actually ends up being

1 lb less for crosses if X < 22
    2 lb less for crosses if 22 < X < 27
    3 lb less for crosses if X > 27

7. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Mark A, wouldn't that be one/two/three pounds less on the mains???

8. MetalOrange

that is also very true from stringer to stringer, by that i mean some stringer would automatically string it 25x27 when only 26 is mentioned (like you do
    ). however, the feel is always closer to 25, say, if it is strung at 25x27 rather than true 26 feel imo, although the consensus is that, the crosses will tighten the mains by 1 lb.

cheers,
    MetalOrange

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, my philosophy is, if you mention 1 number, I will consider it's the average between 2 numbers. :D

To me, the tension is just a number, the importance is what you feel comfortable. Due to understandings, machine setups, and cablibration, skill, etc, the number 25 in one person's hand, might actually means 27 in another. So, my suggestion is, if you feel comfortable with one stringer's work, stick with the same one. You will get consistent work all the time. ;)

10. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    After reading this, that and more, I have concluded that when someone wants say 25lbs, U start with 23 on the mains and goto 25 on the crosses. In fact I am waiting to get a string-bed tension tester to confirm all this. Meantime the people I strung seem satisfied with this arrangement.

One thing I found logical is that when u weave the crosses, they extend the mains all the time, increasing the tension of the mains by stretching the mains, up/down each string cross AND when u pull the racket frame across, u are exerting a force on the frame extending the mains, again increasing the tension. (by how much is the question).

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Whoopsy! Well spotted - plz sub "mains" for "crosses":eek:.

12. BJOOI

BJOOI Regular Member

marketing
    I just asked the yonex professional stringer from the just concluded World Junior championship in Malaysia and was informed that he strung main and cross with the same tension. Ie:30lbs means both sides also strung at 30lbs.

13. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Im with lazy buddy on this one, if some one asks for 25 i give them 24x26. I also tell them, im doing 24x26 so they know.

I havent come across any tournament stringers that do this...I think you may be mistaking their electronic system with a crank system. An electronic will feel about 2 lbs tighter, but most pro's know what machines their stringers are working with. I remember I saw a stringing chart for several pros and many of them had specific tensions for crank vs elec.

A good rule of thumb is know what you want done on your own racket so that if you have to go to another stringer than your regular home stringer you can get the same relative work done. If im asked for 25 and i say ok "ill do 24x26" and they respond or even precede me saying they want 25 all around, thats fine too, im just here to please :D

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I assume you mean 24 x 26 because 23 x 25 would be effectively around 24lbs instead.

15. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    As per interpretation from the stringer to get what you want, I would be in best interest to be explicit.

Lets say I want 26 lbs, I can say the any of the following for the result I want.

26 lbs (for my stringer, this implies 25 x 27 assuming racket can do 2 lb differential, otherwise its 1 lb or all around).
    26 lb all around (24 x 24)
    25 x 27 (2 lb differential)
    25.5 x 26.5 (1 lb differential)

16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Interesting. I would say it would have to depend because the stringer and the equipment at the shop I go to used to have a Prince Neo 1000 before they sold it.

The tension between their crank and their Yonex electronic machine almost literally identical if not the same. The reason for this is because their crank is well calibrated that customers could not tell the difference at the same tensions done on both machines (same stringer).

#16 Matt, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  17. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

That is a great point a good stringer with a crank can string a racket better than a bad stringer on an electric constant pull. The prince neos is probably the best crank I have seen. Ive had a racket strung on one once and it was great. I dont think it has to do with the crank being calibrated so much the stringer moving the clamps quickly, efficiently and properly. All im trying to emphasize is trying to minimize the differences in the way a racket is strung or at least being able to recognize the differences so you can adjust your request appropriately. If I see a head stringer at the pro shop doing the rackets and I know he will do mine, I mite just need 24lbs. But if its another employee doing it, I might adjust and ask for 25lbs to account for loss of tension between lock out and clamping. this is the biggest factor between ecp and crank and its is very significant.

I know if I get my racket strung at different gyms I know to ask for 24 or 25 lbs, but if i string it at home, I need to do 21x23 ecp. Also knowing the difference in the string you use versus other ones due to gauge, but thats a different can of worms.

18. MetalOrange

hi LazyBuddy & illutionistpro,

hey guys i know what i want and i always say i wanted 28/30 for badminton w/ bg66 and 62/64 for my tennis racquets (w/ luxilon alu power). my purpose are: to tighten the mains and to maintain string tension a tad longer. now, i stick to my feeling that a 28/30 or 62/64 will always feel closer to 28 or 62 personally. weaving the crosses does not uniformly tighten the whole bed by a pound although logically and mathematically speaking it is correct.

obviously, there are many roads to rome if that's what we are getting here at. however, the initial query was: if there is only one number. as it turns out different people have different defaults.

MetalOrange

19. petert1401

petert1401 Regular Member

The actual numbers are pretty much irrelevant if you stay with the same stringer and the stringer is consistent in their methods.

If you know that when you ask for your racquet to be strung at 25 lbs, it comes back at the tension you prefer to play with, it really doesn't matter whether it's actually 23, 25, or 27 lbs. Who cares? Just ask for your next one to be 25 lbs and you'll like that one too ;)

Unless you change stringers of course...

FWIW, if I'm asked for 24, I string at 22x24.

20. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I agree!!! That is what the Yonex stringer for US Open says.