Help rule question

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ionoo, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Is it legal to wear an earphone listen to music say in one of your ear during a badminton game? Not loud or anything so opponent won't hear the music

2. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    In a social game, there probably won't be any complaints. In a competitive tournament it would probably not be allowed. Even if you only use it for music, an earpiece can be used for other things. A player can in theory use it to receive coaching during a rally or to have someone off-court tell him if a shuttle is going to fall in or out.

It would probably be covered under Law 16:

(16.6) A player shall not:
    (16.6.4) be guilty of misconduct not otherwise covered by the Laws of Badminton.

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Law 16 is subject to interpretation by the umpire/referee on duty. But yes, it should cater for this case. Besides, who wants to multitask and hear music while playing competitive badminton anyway?

4. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I understand the cheating thing but even if I were to show the earphones connect to my ipod clear and plainly?

well one reason I would wear ear piece is to avoid having to hear the other side cheer for their friend. Or I do not want to be distracted by anything and focus on the game and the music cause that's all I can really hear.

5. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    If you can convince the umpire (in whatever low level tournament), then you probably won't be "in trouble". But remember that it's not easy to just look at an electronic device and immediately understand if it only does what is advertised.

Lets take your example of an ipod, the new ipod nano can be used as a FM radio, no modification needed. Then buy a radio transmitter from ebay for cheap, and we have ourselves a good cheating rig.

In my replies, I have played the devil's advocate. Please understand that I have no reason to suspect you of trying to cheat.

6. ncloud

ncloud Regular Member

The better question would be how do you manage to play with the cord hanging off the side and the ipod bouncing around? o.0

I'm annoyed enough with sleeve that I usually play with sleeveless shirt.

7. supralover23

supralover23 Regular Member

Music will probably be too distracting for you, not to mention the added inconvenience of having wire(s) and an iPod swinging around. I'd say earplugs, but then you can't hear what the umpire is saying to you.

My advice would be to just learn to deal with the opposition heckling you. It'll help your overall mental state during games too, since you'll be less likely to let other factors affect you as well.

8. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

why would you want to have an additional electronic gear on your body that can potentially throw off your game?

9. Smarhiel

Smarhiel Regular Member

Student
    Having one would probably be more trouble than it's worth.
    Considering that you will be moving around a lot when playing, the earphones will definitly fall out.
    Other than that the ipod itself might fall out and when that happens there goes a your next paycheck.