Ideal age to be married

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by JChen99, Nov 7, 2002.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    i kno I'm a bit young for this, but... this question just came across my mind today. I'm wodering WHAT is the ideal age to be married (for both man and woman). :D

Also, there's talkes about the age difference the man and the woman should have (at least something like this esists in the oriental society). I'm kinda wondering about that too

2. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    To me, there is no ideal age for marriage as long as you are ready for it. By saying ready, means that you are ready to contribute your everything for your family and ready to take the responsibility. Also, you are ready to give up something when you have no option.

However, you can get married anytime you want eventhough you are not ready. A lot of people get married for different kind of reasons.

Some people always think if the husband is a lot older than the wife, they will love and care about his wife more. IMO, there is no such thing that is fixed. It is really depends on the personality of a person.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... I guess I won't get married until early 30's. So far, just too many things to take care, and really need to enjoy some life of my OWN.

U know, badminton practice + string take away a lot of time, no time for girl hunting as I did in college yrs... :D

4. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    It depends on the type of person you are. If you are the inventive type, you are better off not marrying anyone. Majority of inventors through ou history are either loners or had broken marriage. Issac Newton was never married.

As for me, it was both a blessing and a curse. That's why when you get married, the vow says for better or worse.

If loneliness doesn't bother you, you should probably hold off on marriage. Once you get married, your life changes dramatically. And when you have kids, your life will take a turn to the south.

Ben

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    wut about the researching type?? ><

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    As for the researching type, you will have no time to look for girls since you will be buried with work at the lab all day. Your personal hygene will be the first turn off to most people since you will smell like chemicals and latex gloves, and the lack of sunlight and fresh air will give you a wonderful "pale" glow. Your only hope is to perhaps genetically create your perfect "mate." :D

There might always be the hope of finding either someone who will deal with your eccentric schedule, or perhaps you might find romance in a fellow researcher. hmmm....:D good luck.

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    oh god... my gf will kill me if she knows I wanna do researching then...

but honestly... is it REALLY that bad???

8. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Well I guess the question would be better posted to my gf to answer. We've been together for almost 4 years now and that's through all my 4 years of undergraduate researching work and summers. So far she hasn't had much complaints, except about lack of attention to her because of badminton, not research. :D

We are talking about marriage in a few years so yeah, to answer your question, it isn't that bad, at least for me. However, I do know plenty of relationships ending during graduate school years due to the demand of work required. It's worth the risk IMHO. :D

9. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    awe man... ><

10. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    The ideal thing would be to get your girlfriend involved in your whatever research you will/are doing. I guess researchers are not as eccentric as inventors. I practically had to put everything on hold because I have a relatively demanding wife.

I used to build my own circuit boards. I love making little electronic gadgets.

Ben

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Yeah that seems to work, this past weekend when I had to come in and do some mice work, gf came along and help me log in some datas while I was working with the mice. It just depends on how the situation is handled.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

God... just have to say, "good for u"...

I've been heard enough negative stories about relationship, about how girls demand their bf do this and that, and give up their own interests.

U r the 1st one, I really know, that gf not going to against u, but even helped u out with ur own stuff.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when you said "mice work", the first thing i thought of was, ah... computers.. then i re-read it and realize that you are talking about *real* mice... :)

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hate to say this but if you were married, that 'helping out' behaviour would vanish!

15. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    o great cheung, that just gives me reasons to look forward to holy matrimony...:D

16. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    haha yes "real" mice, sorry for the confusion. We got them all here, I work with mice, hampsters, and guinea pigs on occasion. I was thinking of bringing one back home for a pet...not sure if that's possible though. :D

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Better don't do it.

Consider this: once ur lovely pet somehow get out of cage, and running everywhere, and see ur gf jumping up and down, and screaming like a 5-yr old...
    hmmm... I won't be surprised that both u (make sure grab ur badminton stuff immediately!!!) and ur pet will spend at least a night on the street or something.

j/k.... :D :D :D

18. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    well surprisingly, she's not that afraid of the little critters so that really won't be a problem. :D yeah considering the thought that the little critters might escape and starts to chew on my badminton shuttles and strings is an atrocious thought ...:eek:

19. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Hey jwu, so glad to find a fellow mouse freak on BF. I showed my girlfriend a cervical dislocation and she wouldn't let me touch her for a week. :(

But to answer JChen's concerns about research and relationships, it depends on how obssessive you are with bench work. I think it's important to balance work with play. I know this sounds obvious, but in research it's easy to get caught up in the work and forget there's a whole world out there.

20. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Well I've kinda set out my goals in life
    1. Family <-- I'd like to keep this great chinese tradition... ALWAYS
    2. Job(Work/Study) <-- This second cuz I've always wanted to do something BIG this lifetime!
    3. BADMINTON!!! <-- wut else? I dont think i can live without sports since I always gotta find a way to burn off those extra glucose i consume during the day :D, and badminton will be one sport that I can play throughout my life!