User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 52 to 64 of 64
  1. #52
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    You are invalidating your own arguments.. first you say player skill are not depending on shuttle type used, then you turn around to say feather players are "hopeless when playing plastic shuttles".. I think you are contradicting yourself..
    /Twobeer
    yes and no.
    feather players technically can play or adapt to plastic playing at their feather playing level but mentally they don't want to so they end up playing poorly with plastic. IE they would not put in as much effort in plastic game play than in feather game play.

  2. #53
    Regular Member ya4dang1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I play both. There is only 1 situation I play plastic, outdoor. It seems that plastic is less sensitive to wind.

    But other than that, I feel reluctant to use plastic because it net plays and drop shot s*cks. I don't think players can learn good net plays and drop shot skill if they only play plastic.

  3. #54
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MALAYSIA
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aloy66 View Post
    So, besides the sound, comparing with YY Mavis 300, would you consider it a decent shuttle?


    Yes, it's a decent shuttle but i personally like feather shuttlecocks. Maybe we are more used to it feathers. I've never used Mavis 300 but i assumed that it's much faster as when we hit the plastic shuttle, it will shrink, thus making it to fly much faster.

  4. #55
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,579
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Synthetic shuttlecocks will for sure replace natural shuttlecocks one day

    Quote Originally Posted by BJOOI View Post

    Yes, it's a decent shuttle but i personally like feather shuttlecocks. Maybe we are more used to it feathers. I've never used Mavis 300 but i assumed that it's much faster as when we hit the plastic shuttle, it will shrink, thus making it to fly much faster.

    .
    IMHO, synthetic shuttlecocks will for sure replace natural feather shuttlecocks one day, whether we like it or not.

    Currently, natural feathers are used because the supply of feathers are still meeting the demand from our Badminton players.

    Imagine, if Badminton players (worldwide) can be increased by 10 folds, then surely we will have to use synthetic shuttlecocks.

    Forget about the feel of the shuttlecock for players on one side of the net. If players on both sides of the net are using the same shuttlecock, it is should be fair. If players on one side of the net don't like it, it is just bad luck for them.

    What I am saying is that players on any side of the net cannot complain when the same shuttlecock is used for both sides.

    Therefore, we cannot say that they must play with feather shuttlecocks when playing against us. And our opponent(s) cannot say that we must play with synthetic shuttlecocks when playing against them.

    If both sides are to use the same shuttlecock, how can we say that it is unfair to just one side?
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 05-02-2010 at 10:54 AM.

  5. #56
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    1,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    IMHO, synthetic shuttlecocks will for sure replace natural feather shuttlecocks one day, whether we like it or not.

    Currently, natural feathers are used because the supply of feathers are still meeting the demand from our Badminton players.

    Imagine, if Badminton players (worldwide) can be increased by 10 folds, then surely we will have to use synthetic shuttlecocks.

    Forget about the feel of the shuttlecock for players on one side of the net. If players on both sides of the net are using the same shuttlecock, it is should be fair. If players on one side of the net don't like it, it is just bad luck for them.

    What I am saying is that players on any side of the net cannot complain when the same shuttlecock is used for both sides.

    Therefore, we cannot say that they must play with feather shuttlecocks when playing against us. And our opponent(s) cannot say that we must play with synthetic shuttlecocks when playing against them.

    If both sides are to use the same shuttlecock, how can we say that it is unfair to just one side?
    .
    I agree, one day I think it's inevitable that we'll be able to develop a synthetic shuttle that performs at least as well as a feather shuttle with equal or better durability at an equal or better price. When that day comes, I can't see that we'll stay with feather shuttles for much longer.

    As for being fair because the same shuttle is used on both sides of the net, I'm not sure that I agree completely with that. Whilst the players are both hitting the same shuttle, it doesn't mean that it's the shuttle they normally practice with. This isn't really a factor for the pros or even at most amateur tournaments but in away club matches, sometimes it's really noticeable. When playing badminton for my club, I have noticed that the quality of the shuttles you use and the courts you play on varies hugely from place to place. In club matches, I've played with everything from top quality feather shuttles to rubbishy Yonex Mavis 10 and some Inflight nylon shuttles that were no better. You would assume that the clubs that played with these shuttles during matches practised with them normally. My club plays with decent feather shuttles (formerly Inflight and Yonex, now Carlton) and we wouldn't find out what we'd be playing with in away matches until we got on court and knocked up. Practising with a particular shuttle when you opponents haven't can give you a slight advantage. If the shuttle is the correct speed and both players have played with it before then neither side is at a disadvantage but in some cases, the choice of shuttle can play in to one side's hands.

  6. #57
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,579
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow A player may or may not perform well in certain conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by Danstevens View Post

    I agree, one day I think it's inevitable that we'll be able to develop a synthetic shuttle that performs at least as well as a feather shuttle with equal or better durability at an equal or better price. When that day comes, I can't see that we'll stay with feather shuttles for much longer.

    As for being fair because the same shuttle is used on both sides of the net, I'm not sure that I agree completely with that. Whilst the players are both hitting the same shuttle, it doesn't mean that it's the shuttle they normally practice with. This isn't really a factor for the pros or even at most amateur tournaments but in away club matches, sometimes it's really noticeable. When playing badminton for my club, I have noticed that the quality of the shuttles you use and the courts you play on varies hugely from place to place. In club matches, I've played with everything from top quality feather shuttles to rubbishy Yonex Mavis 10 and some Inflight nylon shuttles that were no better. You would assume that the clubs that played with these shuttles during matches practised with them normally. My club plays with decent feather shuttles (formerly Inflight and Yonex, now Carlton) and we wouldn't find out what we'd be playing with in away matches until we got on court and knocked up. Practising with a particular shuttle when you opponents haven't can give you a slight advantage. If the shuttle is the correct speed and both players have played with it before then neither side is at a disadvantage but in some cases, the choice of shuttle can play in to one side's hands.

    .
    It is true to say that we all have different preferences. And we perform better when certain conditions suit us better.

    Other examples are;
    * Different court lighting
    * Different floor surface
    * Different heat/temperature of hall
    * Different humidity
    * Different noise levels
    * Different draught
    * etc......

    So a player may or may not perform well in any one or more of the above conditions.
    .

  7. #58
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    to add to c-ccc list,
    * different back wall color
    * different ceiling color
    * different placement position of the poles.

  8. #59
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Plastic shuttle will come of age only when high quality goose feather shuttlecocks can be made by a form of dna "breeding" in a machine or lab. Using plastics as raw material is a dead end. Just find a way to breed a true feather shuttle in the lab and then pass it down to the industry.

  9. #60
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i absolutely agree with Taneepak.

  10. #61
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Terrible!

    I've tried this today with an elderly guy. He insisted on using this, so I agreed to play with it for 2 games. It is very light. Too light; my ordinary clear makes it go out by a meter. The spin on it is terrible; I can't even slice it, the feathers seem to flatten . Oh well, at least the feathers don't fly off

  11. #62
    Regular Member Alapongtai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Plastic shuttle will come of age only when high quality goose feather shuttlecocks can be made by a form of dna "breeding" in a machine or lab. Using plastics as raw material is a dead end. Just find a way to breed a true feather shuttle in the lab and then pass it down to the industry.
    that would be amazing if it can be done but its probably very expensive to go about the process. and since badminton isnt such a major sport, there isnt likely to be investors. but i really hope it can be done because birdies are so damn expensive!!!

  12. #63
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Posts
    1,076
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have recently been testing the Mizuno NS5 shuttle which looks identical to this shuttle.

    Whilst it looks pretty good and I don't a lot of good things to say about it. The shuttle is too light and therefore flies pretty fast. Yes, you can smash harder and it's flight path is closer to a feather for a plastic shuttle. However, I found it relatively brittle. I hit a numer of smashes and had broken through the skirting in 3 places, rendering the shuttle useless.

    The "feathers" are made from the same material computer screens and tv's are packaged with - that flimsy foam. This variety is stiffer but I guess not thick enough yet.

    I have already sent my feedback on the shuttles, but would warn you that they are not very duarable and the cost is equal to a feather.

    My suggestion at the moment is to stick with a feather.

    Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

  13. #64
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    711
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    here some facts u keep ignoring, good players are good because they're good, regardless what kind of shuttles they use. A 'C' feather player will play like a 'C' plastic player. Same goes for level A, B, D, E players as well. North amercians play more plastic because badminton isn't big here so more of us are beginners who play for recreational reason and do not want to to pro, not because plastic shuttles are holding those players back.

    It is plastic shuttle manufacturers who claim their plastic play like feathers for marketing purpose. We plastic players never claim plastic play like feathers. In fact, plastic players are more adapted to play both feather and plastic. It is the feather players like u who become hopeless when playing plastic shuttles. Who is more skillful?
    I don't know how pricing is like in Asia, but feather is also more expensive than plastic so it's understandable that people still want to stick with plastic especially if they're playing recreationally.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Nanospeed 9900 2UG5, Ti-10 Third generation 3UG5, Ti-10 First generation 3UG5, (GTA)
    By blindfury in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 19
    : 11-25-2010, 05:37 PM
  2. Where can i buy cheap yonex plastic shuttlecock?
    By TheHalfAMan in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 3
    : 03-22-2010, 01:11 AM
  3. [Question] Best plastic shuttlecock?
    By trancemode in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 8
    : 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
  4. What is the best plastic shuttlecock?
    By schwab in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 20
    : 09-01-2008, 03:09 PM
  5. ProAce J101 plastic shuttlecock
    By cards_pro in forum Shuttlecock
    Replies: 0
    : 01-11-2006, 11:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •