Different technique for plastics?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dawei94, Oct 30, 2009.

1. dawei94

dawei94 Regular Member

Student
    Recently, in school, we started playing badminton for physical education. I am an intermediate level player, play 3 or 4 times a week, use feathers, correct technique (for feathers) and capable of clearing from baseline to between doubles long service line and baseline. However, in physical education, we use plastics. Using the same technique as with feathers, I can only clear from baseline to about halfway on the other side, and because plastics don't fall completely vertically, it gets killed almost immediately by the tennis players. It seems for plastics, brute force, arm power and tennis style shots are the best way to play. The tennis players I'm playing against happen to be very strong, so they can clear the plastic baseline to baseline with just brute force. I was wondering if there was a different technique for plastics, as I am losing games to them and it is rather embarrassing.

2. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    the technique is the same. I dont know how you can clear less than with feather. Its usually the other way around.

3. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    yep canti is right lol. maybe you have your timing off?

4. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

the other reasonable explanation is the feathers your using are way too fast (so you can clear baseline easily) and the plastics your using are correct speed. Tennis players sometimes slice the bird a lot because of the way they hit a tennis ball so tennis style shots are not necessarily the best way to play for badminton.

If you have trouble beating them, tennis players usually are not used to badminton movements so move them around til they can't keep up.

5. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

The technique is exactly the same for plastics, given that plastic shuttles tend to favour players who focus on strength than agility or stamina. Clearing from baseline to baseline isn't that important, considering that you'll be having to clear defensively not too often. Just play a lot of drops and netshots to move them around, they'll start to make more and more mistakes as they have to twist and turn, because in tennis there isn't as much twisting.

6. Jon_Smasher

Jon_Smasher Regular Member

IT Comms
    hi guys,

ive played with both plastics and feathers for years...mainly feathers 90% of time. some clubs in our league use plastics so away games obviously we use what shuttles they provide. the technique isnt different at all, purely timing and the flight of the shuttle. Feathers are heavies and require greater control / touch. plastics die quicker so require more force than anything. its very hard to get good touch shots on plastics, and timing with all shots has to be exact. thats all i can think it is iwithout watching you play its hard to say, but in general its timing. remember to get yourself in position behind the shuttle, reach high. put plenty of whip in to plastics and youll be fine. steady with drive shots though as they do fly very fast out he back on flat shots.

hope u work it our somehow. if not give me a shout and we'll beat them in doubles ;-)