broken grommet on brand new ARC-Z

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Kiradi, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Kiradi

Kiradi Regular Member

Hi everyone, I just received my brand new Arc-Z today and I played with it for the first time today. I was overlooking my racket when I found I have two broken grommets side by side, the 5th and 6th grommet from the bottom left. What should I do? should I do any immediate actions to save my racket?

Thank you for all the feedback,
    Kiradi

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Just show the shop you but it from about the broken grommets and ask the owner to replace them next time you resting the racquet.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Unless the string cuts into the frame, otherwise, just play through and let the stringer replace them next time when you need re-string.

If the string indeed cuts into the frame, then you need to talk to the shop/stringer seem whether they or Yonex need to pick up the warranty.

4. Kiradi

Kiradi Regular Member

The only problem is that I ordered the racket online from badmintonshoponline.us

5. silentheart

Oopsssssss......

6. Kiradi

Kiradi Regular Member

well my string is strun with BG 66 at 26 pounds does that have any affect of anything? Also, when your'e talking about cutting the frame do you mean like it just cuts the paint or like the frame itself is really damaged ?

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Means the string cutting into the frame itself. Depending on the damage where it is, it shouldn't be a probelm. However if the damaged grommet is exposed that the string is cutting into the frame, that would be a problem.

If I were to get racket online, I prefer my rackets to be stringed locally.

8. Kiradi

Kiradi Regular Member

well right now the grommet is in between the string and the racket so for the time beign it should be fine right ?

9. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Personally I'd just get it restrung and fix it, it's true I could continue to play with it but it'd bother me knowing the grommet is missing :cool:

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Can you provide us a picture?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's very hard for us to give any suggestion, as we do not see it 1st hand. If you really concern, bring it to a reputable local stringer, and seek advice. If s/he thinks it can last until the next string job, then enjoy. If s/he really think it will do the damage, then cut it and re-string. If s/he suspect serious damage is already done (i.e. deeply cut into the frame), then consider contacting the seller and looking for possible solutions.

12. raceto21

raceto21 Regular Member

whats with zslash grommets?!?!?

me too, first time i encountered this problem with a brand new racket.
    have bought/owned all brand new arc 10, nano9900 x 2 , arc 9, some rsls.
    this is initial episode where i have noticed several broken grommets after few hrs of playing on a brand new racket.
    nuts.:mad:

13. Kiradi

Kiradi Regular Member

Wel.... guess what? I played with my Arc-Z yesterday and the string snapped, I hit right above the sweet spot (which I tend to do a lot with this racket, or I hit the frame) luckily I did not have any frame damage done to it so i'm heading out tonight to get it restrung. wish I had like three Arc-Zs instead on one ..... xD

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Lol! Good thing I have three Arc Saber 7s!!!

15. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

kiradi,

could be the stringer? or not following stringing instructions as suggested/recommended by yy? i have no idea of course, as i don't string it myself. but it's something i have pondered upon and totally forgotten about until this thread.

i got 3 Arc ZS jp version (unstrung of course), one i hurriedly had it strung at the nearest shop. played two hours with it and had four broken grommets at the 2, 10, 4 & 8 o'clock holes. it didn't break altogether at once but one by one as i observed it (you know that thing w/ new racquets or toys...can't stop looking at it in the initial moments).

cut the strings immed afterwards. i went to my regular stringer, had the one w broken grommet and the other 2 unstrung racquets strung. upto now, i'm playing close to a hundred hours alternating the 3 racquets and so far so good. the one w/ broken grommet didn't deteriorate and the other 2 racquets have no broken grommets issue. thus, could it be a stringing issue?

now my regular stringer have strung 70+ Arc ZS to date and he told me he's seen some broken Arc ZS grommets but the strings aren't sinking into the frame (talking about 28+ string tensions) like the sunken strings of latter batches of AT 700s! So, at least there's good news. but! 70+ is still an insignificant number for statistical purpose, plus the racquets must at least have gone through a few more stringing cycles and use & abuse at the courts.

cheers,
    MetalOrange

#15 MetalOrange, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    When stringing at higher tensions, the grommets life would be shorter as the strings would cut into the grommets over time. Over repeated restrings some of the grommets will split as their life as ended and will need to be replaced.

An experienced stringer would normally check the grommets and change/replace any if necessary before stringing.

17. Kiradi

Kiradi Regular Member

Well, Today I went to a stringer which I will never go to again... I sorta rushed him though sked him to string within 1-1.5h xD. Every time I got to them they never string it straight, ALSO they charged me 40$ CAD for strings + restringing -_- (BG 66 = 20 at the shop). So now i'm trying to get some money and save up for about 10 pack of BG66 and new full set of grommets? Anyways back to topic, So I went to the stringer and he also said that the string isn't really doing any damage to the frame so he didn't replace my grommet, which worries me :S. Anybody know where I can get the stringing instructions for how to string Arc-Z.

P.S: (noob question) what's yy?

18. silentheart

Are you really that noob? Look at your Arc-z bag. What is the trade mark of Yonex?

19. MetalOrange

kiradi,

your stringer might be experienced enough to let know that broken grommets aren't tantamount to strings digging into the frame (not immed anyways...). my older carbonexes w/ broken gormmets restrung at least a dozen times didn't sunk the strings into the frame itself.

your stringer probably was being sincere, i guess. now, if it were a latter batch of yy AT700, he'd surely be obliged to inform you (nonetheless, once the string sunks into the frame, changing grommets won't be that much help b'cos it'll continue to dig deeper into your frame).

yy used to be the shortcut for YoneYama or as we know it today--Yonex.

MetalOrange

20. MetalOrange

kiradi,

your stringer should have the stringing instructions specifically for yy arc zs.

MetalOrange