higher tension = handles different?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by dubber, Nov 2, 2009.

1. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    So just upped my tension last time i blew my strings up to 25 instead of 22ish. It feels just right, the power is more apparent but one thing about it is that the racket seem to handle different while swinging. My swing seems "lighter" if you get my point, i swing faster then i did before, it feels like the racket is cutting through the air faster. It isnt really noticeable on my forehand but the first 30 mins of playing with the new tension almost every back hand i attempted hit the top of the frame. Is it me imagining things or can a higher tension have this effect ? :p

2. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    Maybe it stretched the string thinner lowering air resistance a bit? :confused:
    Seems a bit farfetched though.

3. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    have you switched grips by any chance?

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Well, the frame does get a wee bit pulled in more because of higher tension. The rest would most likely be psychological.

5. Chilefeu

Chilefeu Regular Member

Student / Trainee
    Normally the frame should be the same whatever the tension is. Apart from that, I also felt a difference when I tried Zymax 0.62 at 23 lbs. It is possible there is a very little improvement when swinging, due to a very thin string.

But that's very marginal. So I believe it's more in the head, as you said. ;)

6. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Well it must be me fooling myself but when i do play i sure does feel like it :p. I did change my grip at the same time but it was the exact same brand and type of grip and the string is still yonex bg 80. well its weird but ill get used to it i suppose :)

7. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    You feel swinging fast is because birdy leave the string bed faster. The swinging distant gets shorter. less amount of time is need to push out the birdy.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    no wonder the pros swing so much faster, coz their racket frames are even more smaller and result in even less air resistance lol:p

I thot pro rackets are strung by pro tournament stringers, aren't they suppose to give u deluxe job of distortion free rackets??? lol

#8 cooler, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  9. Raymond Wong

Raymond Wong Regular Member

I work for RSL
    ppl pm me,:I usually use 25lbs but since i got an AP and its boasts max 28lbs i opted for 26lbs. It feels a little strange; like im not hitting the center or something.Does this mean i have too high tension?What happens when you use a racquet with too high of a tension for you to hande (ie, difference in playing style)ThanksRaymond

10. druss

druss Regular Member

If you go too high then you start to lose power, that might feel like you're not making solid contact.

11. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Hi you go too high in tension you also run the risk of injuries to your shoulder or arm. The sweet spot in the racket is reduced so unless you are hitting consistently well and by this I mean hitting more like the pros, then you are not going to get much benefit of higher string tension.

For most players - who are not pros, then it's worth thinking very hard about your tension. Test in small increments of 1lb and see what works best for you. There will be a point where you don't achieve any additional power but still like the feel of shuttle on the racket and you get plenty of control. This is the point where you have found the best tension for you.

Too many players have too high tension for their capability. They read forums like this, find out what top pros are using and copy. Sadly, many of these people then suffer serious injury.

Hope this helps.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

12. szekt

szekt Regular Member

Huh? I thought when you have increment in string tension, you actually lose power but gain in control?:confused:

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The shuttle bounces off the string faster, therefore you get more control because there is less deflection off the string bed. You would lose power if the player is not able to take advantage of the higher tension or hit the sweet spot which would be smaller. Other factors would be techniques.

More like this analogy. Oh, a person 200 HP car so and knows how to drive it around the track. Ok, the same person now drives a 900 HP car. One wrong thinking would be, wow this person has a 900 HP car!! That is incorrect, the correct would be, how would the person would apply the power of the 600 HP car to take advantage of it.

#13 Matt, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  14. szekt

szekt Regular Member

Agree with the "control" part...but wouldnt power be greater for the same person with the same technique who hits the sweet spot at a lower tension cf to someone who hits it at the higher tension?:confused::confused:

15. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The power will be greater if the player is able to hit hard enough to take advantage of it, then yes.

Lower tension is eaiser to generate power, with less control. Higher tension, it's the opposite, but have more power hitting it dead on and hitting it hard enough essentially.

16. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

Higher tension meant better control and incremental power at decremental sweetspot. Just think about the Black Hole and The Big Bang. It collapses into an ever smaller space until it has nothingness no more that it has to explode and expand until it collapses back! Same deal with the shuttle collapsing into the string and the string catapulting back the projectile.