User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Contacting the feather with the cork at the same time

i swing the racket to start a game. the racket is contacting with the cork before the feather. it is fault? means that you will hear the contaction between the racket and the feather's sound. i like to play badminton, but someone is telling me about my faults.....i just want to make sure that it is true. thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9.1.4 the server’s racket shall initially hit the base of the shuttle;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post
    9.1.4 the serverís racket shall initially hit the base of the shuttle;

Welcome Stormrider !

The "base of shuttle" is the cork !
    When you serve, your racket should touch first the cork, even if you do a backhand serve. If you touch first the feather, it is fault.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thom_bad View Post

The "base of shuttle" is the cork !
    When you serve, your racket should touch first the cork, even if you do a backhand serve. If you touch first the feather, it is fault.
    That definition of "base of shuttle" was put in place in the early 80s after the banning of the Sidek brothers' S-serve, which hit the feathers first with cork in upside down position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, i do a backhand serve. when i serve, my racket touch the cork first. But it may be touch the feather of the shuttle after cork. Although i touch the cork first but you will hear the sound that i touch the feather of the shuttle. In this condition, it's fault? Because i met an old man said he was an international referee since 10 years ago. I'm feeling annoying with this problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the wording is "initially" that means that it doesn't matter what it hits afterwards. As long as you're hitting the cork first then it's not a fault.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So he didn't call it as a double hit? (which it shouldn't be called as)
    Last edited by demolidor; 11-06-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it depends on whether the cork is still in contact with the strings when the feathers hit it, then it would still be one contact. That would be really difficult to tell though.

- If the shuttle is hit twice in succession by the same player with two strokes.

is the rule so as long as it isn't two strokes then hitting the cork then the feathers should not be a fault?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by St0rMRiD3R View Post
    ya, i do a backhand serve. when i serve, my racket touch the cork first. But it may be touch the feather of the shuttle after cork. Although i touch the cork first but you will hear the sound that i touch the feather of the shuttle. In this condition, it's fault? Because i met an old man said he was an international referee since 10 years ago. I'm feeling annoying with this problem.
    That is not a fault. But your old man may have slow reflexes so he thinks you are hitting both at the same time.

Ask your old man where it says in the rule book that it is a fault if you hit the feathers after hitting the cork. He should show you or otherwise stop complaining about being beaten on court by you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best thing to do at this stage is to record your own serve. You might had hit the cork and feathers at the same time not realising it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure that i hit the cork before feather. The old man also know about it. The problem is the old man complaining about "touching the feather when we serve". What i know is we can't hit the feather first such like the Sidek done before. Everytime when i play together with the old man, he will said my way serving is fault. So, my way serving is not fault right? May i know what should i do? Any suggestion? Thanks all.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Law 13.3.8

Previously (13.6.2):

It is a ‘fault’ if, in play, the shuttle is hit twice in succession by the same player with two strokes;

Now:

It shall be a ‘fault’ if, in play, the shuttle is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a ‘fault’;

Notes:

1. The original Law only disallowed the same player hitting the shuttle with two strokes. That has been dropped in the new Law, which means that a player may not hit the shuttle twice in succession even with a single stroke.
    2. However, it is OK for a shuttle to hit the head and strings of a racket in one stroke, even though that may sound like a double hit."

Other than rule 9.1.4 there is nothing in the rules about which part of the shuttle may or may not be hit ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 11-07-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by St0rMRiD3R View Post
    I'm sure that i hit the cork before feather. The old man also know about it. The problem is the old man complaining about "touching the feather when we serve". What i know is we can't hit the feather first such like the Sidek done before. Everytime when i play together with the old man, he will said my way serving is fault. So, my way serving is not fault right? May i know what should i do? Any suggestion? Thanks all.
    Did you read the 2nd paragraph of my post that is two postings earlier to yours?