Frustrated-Drop shots coming up short...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by GEEGEEGEE, Nov 5, 2009.

1. GEEGEEGEE

GEEGEEGEE Regular Member

I only seem to be getting my drop shots over 3/10 times....pretty pathetic...

I have no problem dropping from back right corner to cross court net. Once I'm on the left back corner(cross court drop), my drops seem to always come up short and hit the net....

I'm right handed and I do slice the birdie a bit when I drop, I guess I'm supposed to right? What could I be possibly doing wrong? Timing? More firmness? Don't try so hard? Or try dropping middle net instead or corner?

Help. TIA!

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Just my opinion here but it's probably because if you're right handed from the right rear of the court to drop cross court is a natural swing. On the other hand a cross court from the left rear is not a natural swing so should require more effort.

3. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Try the shot with a heavier racquet ... if that does go over then it means you're not hitting hard enough :)

4. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    make sure your behind the shuttle and just reach up and hit it harder. Its a longer distance so it needs more power to reach the net, and also to make it past opponents who will have more time to intercept. As a rule of thumb, always hit cross drops steep and fast. I just play it like a smash with some slice, and it works well.

5. GEEGEEGEE

GEEGEEGEE Regular Member

Awesome fellas! So helpful!

Will definitely keep advice in mind!

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    it just takes practice mate. Make sure you always take the shuttle at the highest point possible and if you can dont slice the shuttle often. As slicing is very hard to control and hard to tell exactly how much power your puting into the shot. Learn to use your wrist more and fingers to guide the racket head and the shuttle to the crosscourt direction.

When you get consistant in playing simple shots then you can try making it more deceptive by adding a bit of slice and different techniques into it etc. But start simple and work your way in from there.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For reverse slice (forehand cross-court drop from backhand corner), the racket is moving from right-to-left while the shuttle travels from left-to-right. This naturally results in the shuttle not being hit as hard.

You'll need to deliberately hit the shuttle harder, to make up for this effect.