damn, why is it so hard?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by silentlight, Nov 9, 2002.

1. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I was watching someone really good playing on Wednesday night. His footwork is amazing, it's just what people have been describing or what I've been reading about except that I've never seen anyone actually use it. So now I know what proper footwork looks like but the problem is, it's so hard to apply. I've been using bad footwork eversince I started playing badminton and you know what they say "old habits die hard". I tried doing this yesterday and I can't even keep my feet parallel to the net while in a rally, I'm so use to having my racquet foot back that I have to make a mental effort to keep them parallel but even when I remember to do so, it screws me up. I feel as though keeping your feet parallel to the net should only be appropriate at some instances and I seem to be doing them in all the wrong times. It just feels awkward. How am I suppose to do the chassé thing if I can't even do that yet. This sucks. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make myself more accustomed to this new footwork, I mean I know you have to practice but is there any exercise that is particularly effective when learning the chassé footwork?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One thing that can be guaranteed is that it isn't easy to learn or train good footwork.
    Even when you have got it right, there is still more to learn.

Although you have seen smooth footwork, the chasse movement takes time to assimilate. If not, then everybody would say badminton is a real easy sport :) and we know that isn't the case.

It would take a lot of time and training as well as good feeding to practice the appropriate footwork in different situations.

Insight into what is needed is a step in the right path..........keep on learning!!:)