Was it a good buy ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Squ33k, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Squ33k

Squ33k New Member

Hi!

First of all, sorry if my English is bad, probably alot of spelling errors but I think you'll get the point ;)

As I'm a new member here on the site I would classify myself as an pretty player for playing with friends... I think, I love to play it and I've got some real determination when it comes to playing so even though I loose 1 match I must have a rematch :p and it can continue for several hours :)

Last time I played was with some friends this spring 2 times a week... We had to stop though since 1 of my friends got pissed and smashed his racquet.

We've now decided to start play again and I thought to myself, maybe I should get a new racquet myself since the one I played with last time was my mom and dad's 20 year old racquet (a good racquet back then, dont know about now) so I looked through a coupple of stores where I live and went an bought
    This one: http://www.badmintonalley.com/Wilson_nCode_n5_p/racket-wilson-ncode-n5.htm

if I roughly convert the price from the swedish "krona" to USD the price was around $70 and it was lowered from the actual price of $140.

If we take away that they had lowered the price to half, did I buy a good racquet ? or is it acctually sh*t ? Dont really know how to describe my play-style if that now affect the work of the racquet but I find myself all over the place trying both hit hard with control and also countering..
    (If its not to much to ask, could someone please explain to me what differense there is between... for example an attacking type of racquet and a all round or counter?)

2. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    It might take you a while to adjust to your new racquet, so don't give up yet. I don't know much about Wilson racquets I'm afraid, but $70 was pretty cheap so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I have a Yonex Muscle Power 99 which was top-of-the-range a few years ago, but one day I forgot my racquet and I had to play with this really heavy Carlton racquet. Instead of carbon, I'm pretty sure it was made of steel or something super dense like that. Guess what? I still had fun. I played just as well as I normally do. In fact, my smashes were even harder. So basically what I'm trying to say is that at a level where you're just playing with friends, I don't think the racquet makes that big a difference. The player's skill is much more important. To be honest, I don't know if I'm good enough for my own MP 99...

As for your question about different racquets for different playing styles - generally, head-heavy racquets like the Yonex Armortec 700 are good for smashes, mid-balance like the Yonex Carbonex family are good all-round, and head-light racquets are manoeuvrable and good for defence.

I hope this helps you somehow :)

(Vallkommen till BadmintonCentral, ocksa!)