User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bad stringing service?

Hello all,

Recently I had just restring my racket with BG66 UM @ 26, upon inspecting the racket I saw quite a handful of string "frays". I would like to ask if anybody knows if whether it is a bad stringing job or it is suppose to be like that.

I was thinking about it and it make sense to me to have a couple of "frays" as there is tension on the string, causing it to "eat" into one another.

To add on, this is the second time I did a re string with the same person,string and tension. The first time the string for about 3 weeks, I play about 8-10 hours per week.

http://i.imgur.com/L2vkx7S.png

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrTeo View Post
    Hello all,

Recently I had just restring my racket with BG66 UM @ 26, upon inspecting the racket I saw quite a handful of string "frays". I would like to ask if anybody knows if whether it is a bad stringing job or it is suppose to be like that.

I was thinking about it and it make sense to me to have a couple of "frays" as there is tension on the string, causing it to "eat" into one another.

To add on, this is the second time I did a re string with the same person,string and tension. The first time the string for about 3 weeks, I play about 8-10 hours per week.

http://i.imgur.com/L2vkx7S.png
    Definitely a bad string job & it's probably his gripper, it's too rough and shredding the string causing it to be thin and fray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how many hours for that frays? or its freshly strung and you just had a warm up or something with it?

from my experience, first week, no fray at all, looks brand new. 2nd week. exactly same as your photo. End of 2nd week. Snap for sure (exactly same cycle for around 6 months, stop using it now, too costly). I play perhaps a bit more than you do. Though i smash like a maniac so dont know if it helps for your infomation
    Last edited by linhrom; 11-01-2015 at 02:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exert View Post
    Definitely a bad string job & it's probably his gripper, it's too rough and shredding the string causing it to be thin and fray.
    Thanks for the confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by linhrom View Post
    how many hours for that frays? or its freshly strung and you just had a warm up or something with it?
    Nope, I did not play with it at all. Took it directly from the shop and realised it,thought it was normal all the while.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that he preweave and burned the string, too. I would return it and give him the chance to restring for free. At the same time you should look for a different stringer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ucantseeme View Post
    I think that he preweave and burned the string, too. I would return it and give him the chance to restring for free. At the same time you should look for a different stringer.
    Thanks for the advice but I doubt I will be returning to him and get a compensation of some sort. It is also partly my fault,should have check thoroughly before leaving to avoid any "drama".

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice but I doubt I will be returning to him and get a compensation of some sort. It is also partly my fault,should have check thoroughly before leaving to avoid any "drama".
    You are too nice. It's not your fault. I would try it. If you will never go to him back, he will keep this practise on. You have nothing to lose. You paid for a job and this is a no-go as a view of a stringer. Give him the chance to do it better.

If you must control the work of your stringer, he is not doing well. He must be very sloppy to turn back such a job to one of his customers. He also have 2 eyes like you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Deleted-

I have posted twice, sorry!
    Last edited by MrTeo; 11-01-2015 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ucantseeme View Post
    If you will never go to him back, he will keep this practise on.
    That is true, I'll go to him for a third time and when he passes me back the racket I'll bring it up if the quality of the work is still the same. I felt that since I left the shop with the racket without raising any objection, it means I accept the condition.

Once again, thanks for the advice! Greatly appreciated for all the advice given.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But why would the frays all coincidentally line up where the mains and crosses overlap...? That looks like a prematurely aged stringjob to me.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    But why would the frays all coincidentally line up where the mains and crosses overlap...? That looks like a prematurely aged stringjob to me.
    I don't know, I just had this experience with my racquets before & could pulling the string too fast without massaging cause this as well?

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, I just had this experience with my racquets before & could pulling the string too fast without massaging cause this as well?
    That's what I would think has caused it. That, or the stringer had a 'secret' test.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

candle wax?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealman View Post
    candle wax?
    It would seem so!!

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealman View Post
    candle wax?
    Hey, you're right! On closer inspection, after removing my glasses (!), those don't look like frays but more like wax buildup or leftover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes. That's awful. You gotta be ultra apathetic to burn the strings like that. You should definitely find someone else do string for you. You're in Singapore, there shouldn't be a shortage of quality stringers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikomi View Post
    You're in Singapore, there shouldn't be a shortage of quality stringers.
    Yup, I do agree with that. I chose this particular stringer is because he was near my house. The majority of quality stringer resides at Queensway or east side of Singapore (as far as I know) which is about 1-2 hours for a 1 way trip.

Anybody in Singapore have any recommendation for quality stringers? Preferably in the west of Singapore, I did a search and found a couple of stringers that fellow members of the forum recommended in the west but the thing is those threads are at least 1-2 years old.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast