User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is Bonsor Community Centre in Burnaby, as well as at BCIT. Whereabouts in Burnaby will you be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

South Burnaby:
    Bonsor Community Centre http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca/cityha...rc_prgrml.html
    (download the Leisure Guide for hours/fee)

North-ish:
    Cameron Community Centre
    http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca/cityha...rc_prgrml.html
    (download the Leisure Guide for hours/fee)

BCIT
    http://www.recreation.bcit.ca/programs/dropin.shtml

Deer Lake (semi-private, but accomodating)
    Tue-Thur: 8-10pm

Close to Burnaby:
    Collingwood Neighbourhood House
    Killarney Community Centre

-dave

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Careful about Deer Lake. It is a private club. Drop-in is only by invitation and introduction, but even so may not be allowed if the night is full.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by 15Love
    There is Bonsor Community Centre in Burnaby, as well as at BCIT. Whereabouts in Burnaby will you be?
    Hmm... without being too specific the new place is somewhere along 55th and Clinton St. Burnaby South.

Something about myself: my skill level is somewhere in top "C" to low "B"... played with plastics mainly but wouldn't be too picky about feathers. Fairly competitive/intense in doubles, I am a regular club player (usually play 5 days out of the week) although I am in no condition to play decent singles games. VRC and Clearone is probably off-limit for now as I can't afford the high annual membership they require.

Thank you for responding, guys! Among the places you mentioned, which ones have high number of fairly competitive players? Also, are those places just drop-ins or are they also affliated with a club. I am really keen on joining an affliated badminton club, just not too interested about community leagues.

I am not familiar with the system in BC, but there's a three tier system in Alberta. At the top are the private clubs, followed by Edmonton District Badminton Association and then at the low rung of the ladder are the community leagues. How are the clubs organised in BC? Thanks again!
    Last edited by cappy75; 10-17-2003 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cappy75

Thank you for responding, guys! Among the places you mentioned, which ones have high number of fairly competitive players? Also, are those places just drop-ins or are they also affliated with a club.
    They're all drop-ins. For "high number of fairly competitive players" come to Collingwood Neighbourhood House, Sundays 12pm - 2:30pm.

I hesitate to mention Deer Lake, as Badrad has mentioned, it's "private" but the atmosphere at these places is competitive.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and ClearOne is drop-in as well.

-dave

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Dave,

Thank you for the information! It's much appreciated! Collingwood Neighbourhood House seems pretty interesting to me. BTW, what badminton club (BadmintonBC affiliated) plays there?
    Last edited by cappy75; 10-17-2003 at 01:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Collingwood
    Most players there don't really belong to a club, as far as I know. Although I'm sure a number of them are with Richmond Badminton Club, but that's just a guess.

Several are ex-VRC members, and a lot of Brunei-ans there play privately at a church in Coquitlam, but enjoy the drop-ins at Collingwood.

All pretty friendly. If you're here by Nov 15/16, there's a tournament that's going on there.

-dave

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Dave,

I would really like to avoid drop-ins because the cost adds up pretty fast. Then again, I may not be able to avoid it since it's almost halfway thru the playing season... they might not take in new members. It'll be great if I could join up with an affliated badminton club for the long haul. Anyway, I will check out BadmintonBC's website for more information about clubs operating around Burnaby.

Thanks again for helping me out. Maybe we'll bump into one another in one of those places in the near future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No prob!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2