Places to get coaching?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Seot, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Seot

Seot Regular Member

I've started playing badminton a more seriously this past year. Previously i played casually with friends once every few months. Suffice it to say, i'm over the hill in terms of chances to do competition play but I do want to improve my basic game. :)

I'm at the point where just playing more games, won't help me improve very fast. I see that proper coaching and practice is the only way i'm going to get better at this point. Fix backhand, learn proper footwork and forms etc. I can't just practice at where I usually play because, it's just so busy , and it's very unlikely to get a court all to yourself.

All the coaching and training opportunities i've seen seems are geared towards kids, young teens or competition level players. I havn't seen anything around targeted towards adults looking to just improve their game.

Does anyone know of any clubs or organizations in vancouver that could offer coaching at reasonable prices. Anyone have any suggestions on what i could do?

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Seot,
    First thing first, you are never too old to play competitive badminton. There are various tourneys around geared towards the "Masters" and grouped by age (usually 35+, 40, 45+, etc...) One of my friend plays competitively in the 45+ category and his dad (from Taiwan) played in the 70+ category. :D

For coaching, there are several venues ranging from the expensive to the cheap ones.

For example, you can always get coaching from clubs like Hollyburn, Vancouver Lawn & Tennis or the Vancouver Racquet Club. Am sure that you needed to be a member of those clubs before you can even sign up for coaching.

Other alternatives (that I have seen) are coaching offered by either the local community centres or the local school board. E.g. Dunbar community has a couple of coaching sessions available for the adults (the coach listed is Daryl Yung) and the VSB has two sessions offered (one for beginners and the other for the intermediate players). Other community centres has similar programs like Richmond, Burnaby, etc.

3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    the vrc will accept non-members for coaching, but the per hour charge is slightly higher than for members (i'm not totally sure, but $35 vs 30).

not knowing what level seot is currently at, the vrc may be a good initial step. they will provide an assessment of your level and can work with you for a program to get you on your way to improvement.

with most community centers, there are some adult programs but usually in a group lesson method. the groups will usually be a mix of beginners to intermediates. and the attention by the coach will be spread over the number of students. it sounds like Seot has some specific areas that needs to be addressed, so a one-on-one coach session would be the best first step.

alternatively, some badminton clubs are higher calibre, and most players will improve their game just by playing at better clubs. WWC's club is very good, and has number of very strong players, most willing to offer suggestions or tips. the only drawback to this method is usually you get beaten up a bit before you get better...

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you do get private coaching, it's probably better to think about major weaknesses in your game. Then you can go to the coach and have more directed coaching.

5. x-er

x-er Regular Member

i need some coaching too...

i'm also very into badminton.. but however not god at all.. stilal beginner players

one thing is that i', trying to find a coach htat's willing to teach me.. i'm from toronto. wondering where i can be coach other then lee's badminton cuz it really to far to me..
    i live in downtown toronto. wondering if there is a opportuniy for me to be coach in htat same area. and yea.. i don' thave much money.. so i don't think i can afford george brown either

6. Seot

Seot Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestions all. I was thinking of joining VRC, although i really enjoy playing with many of my current friends, and i would like to convice some of them to join the club w/ me. All the other country clubs with coaching are much more expensive than VRC and are a bit too much of an investment currently. :)

I'll look in to some of the local community programs though. Has anyone here attended any and can provide some feedback.

7. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Seot,
    Another alternative is to find a private coach outside of the clubs. I was asked to attend a session yesterday as an acquintance of a friend has booked some time at one of the local community centre. Turned out the acquintance was looking for some coaching and this friend of mine was helping her with some of her strokes.

But while I was there, I ran into a friend who played at my club and he was there doing coaching (about 4 students - 2 per 45 min session) and he told me that he has been doing for years (both weekends) and actually have people waiting to sign up with him.

I am currently doing some volunteer coaching for my club with junior players but I know of of the other coaches and can enquire for you (if you are interested).

BTW, Badrad, don't you do private coaching?

8. ASDFASDF

ASDFASDF Regular Member

George Brown doesn't coach.. just real competitive play there and people tend to like playing against their on level.. (or better) .... they play feather which u have to supply..

I think Kim Ng used to run sunday clinics not sure anymore though.. didn't cost much.. i think it was like $15 ? I been there though.

Um... Lee's is actually not SUPER expensive compared to other places in downtown..

Lee's is like 500 for jr membership and pvt coaching is like 30-40 bucks/hour .. unless u do group but groups not that great imo.

Hrmm.. B&R is downtown but not sure how much they charge.. something like 1000 for membership.. Not sure how much for coaching but prolly around 30-40...

Ummmm...

Etobicoke Jr club and Erindale Jr arn't too expensive.. Etobicoke one is really cheap..... downside is too many people go there.. Want more info pvt me.

9. Seot

Seot Regular Member

WWC, i am interested, more so in some place where i can book a court without having to worry to get off in 15 mintues so other's can play. :)

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Not since it is so hard to acquire gym space at public community centers. Some places you need to book ahead of time, and others you need to time share the court space.

Seot - if you are intending to join the vrc, that would be a good start. Part of your initiation fee includes a 1 hour lesson/assessment. Part of the problem with getting to a next level is just court time where you can practice instead of playing games. The vrc is a good place for that.

For booking courts, you can call ahead to most Richmond community centers. Each center has some time allotment for court bookings usually in 45 minute increments. Cost is around $8-9 depending on the location.

I think Kensington on 33rd and Knight also have booking times on Sundays as well.

The problem with booking is that you sometimes need to book a week ahead since some centers are very popular.

At the vrc, anytime other than organized playing you are allowed to simply practice. You can stay on as long as you want, provided there are no waiting, in which case you are alloted 15 minutes, but these go by very quickly so waits on most days aren't that long. If you are a night owl, midnight practice is also an option. We used to do that a lot.

11. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Seot,
    Here's the info for the Richmond Comm. Centres. Please note that private lessons are not encourage :)

Cambie Community Centre - $9/45 min (604) 233-8399
    Thurs - 7:00 am - 9:15 am
    Sat - 4:45 pm - 8:30 pm
    Sun - 9:30 am - 3:30 pm

City Centre - $8/45 min (604) 233-8910
    Wed - 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    Sa - 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    Sun - 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Hamilton Community Centre - $8/60 min (604) 718-8055
    Mon/Thur - 7:15 pm - 10:15 pm
    Sun - 10:15 am - 12:15 pm

South Arm Comm. Centre - $8/45 min (604) 718-8060
    Mon - 1:45 pm - 2:30 pm
    Tue - 12:15 pm - 3:15 pm
    Sat - 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm
    Sun - 3:15 pm - 7:00 pm

Steveston Comm. Centre - $8/45 min (604) 718-8080
    Sat - 4:45 pm - 7:45 pm
    Sun - 12:00 pm - 3:45 pm

Thompson Comm. Centre - $9/45 min (604) 718-8422
    Tue - 1:45 pm - 4:00 pm
    Wed - 7:30 pm - 9:45 pm
    Fri - 2:00 pm - 5:15 pm
    Sat - 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
    Sun - 5:00 pm - 8:45 pm

West Richmond Comm. Centre - $8/45 min (604) 718-8400
    Fri - 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
    Sun - 11:00 am - 12:30 pm

12. Seot

Seot Regular Member

Thanks very much for the info WWC. I'll look in to these.

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Maybe turn this into a FAQ.

WWC and others have listed locations and times for various cities/regions for play and coaching. Maybe this could be a FAQ. we can list the cities, and put the known or available published play times there as a repository?

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badrad, hm... i thought that's what this forum is for. :) i usually just browse through or search through this forum.

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Aww - kwun, you should know that some of us older folks have difficulty with searching and browsing too much. That arthritis and crickity bones makes for searching too hard sonny... :D

16. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    lol, it's true though, I've never seen any training places for adults, only kids and teens.

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    good badminton clubs in/near Burnaby

Hey guys,

I am about to move to Burnaby in two months' time, and I am hoping that you could recommend a few good clubs I could go to that's in and near Burnaby or at least accessable by train/bus. I won't have a car for at least the first few months, thus the question. Thanks in advance!

18. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    There is Bonsor Community Centre in Burnaby, as well as at BCIT. Whereabouts in Burnaby will you be?

19. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    South Burnaby:
    Bonsor Community Centre http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca/cityhall/departments_parks/prksrc_prgrml.html
    (download the Leisure Guide for hours/fee)

North-ish:
    Cameron Community Centre
    http://www.city.burnaby.bc.ca/cityhall/departments_parks/prksrc_prgrml.html
    (download the Leisure Guide for hours/fee)

BCIT
    http://www.recreation.bcit.ca/programs/dropin.shtml

Deer Lake (semi-private, but accomodating)
    Tue-Thur: 8-10pm

Close to Burnaby:
    Collingwood Neighbourhood House
    Killarney Community Centre

-dave

20. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Careful about Deer Lake. It is a private club. Drop-in is only by invitation and introduction, but even so may not be allowed if the night is full.