Coaching

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by rebel girl 15, Nov 7, 2009.

1. rebel girl 15

rebel girl 15 Regular Member

I'm a PE student and I've been given Badminton as a sport to create a masterplan for - basically a resource of drills and modified games used by PE teachers to teach a beginners class of around 15/16 years of age. I also have to produce a scheme of work and lesson plans for 8 lessons, where I begin address a specific skill for each week. I've no experience coaching it, and I've played a small bit of badminton for fun, no formal coaching or anything. My coaching experience is in football, no experience in any racket sports. I've also gotten some stuff from the Badminton governing body here, but its not enough. The examples shown to us for sports were over 100 pages long:eek:

So I've a couple of questions

1 - what are the basic skill of badminton that I should teach a class each week? 8 would be ideal, since it is eight lessons, one per lesson

2 - where can I find info about more drills? Could some coaches here post some of the drills that they use with beginners classses and maybe a few drills that I can include to use if some in the class advance very well? I'm also looking for some fun based games that are badminton specific, rather than putting in ordinary warmup games.

Many thanks in advance, because to be honest, I'm a bit lost with stuff - its the same for others in the class who are given sports that they have no idea about!

2. druss

druss Regular Member

My best advise would be to find a local badminton coach to help you. Giving text directions is not the best way.

For instance, the first drills should probably be all footwork but that needs to be seen. There are a ton of other drills as well. Maybe a search for some videos on youtube would help.

If you know how to use torrents I know that there are some good coaching videos for download.

3. rebel girl 15

thanks for that - I do use torrents, could you PM me a few links if you don't mind?

4. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    There's lots of books on Amazon for beginners so there's a wealth of infomration there.

Basic skills I'd teach are:

forehand and backhand grips
    serving
    returning serve
    basic formations for doubles
    basic tactics singles
    stroke cycle
    basic footwork
    working around the net

Hope this helps. If you need more information then feel free to PM me.

Good luck

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

5. rebel girl 15

Brilliant thanks!

6. rebel girl 15

Hi, the masterplan is going well, but I neede a small bit of advice - the drills I'm using seem to be repeating themselves. Its the same type of drill - I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a book that would give some variations or new drills?

7. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Rebel Girl

PM me and let me know what drills you've got so far and which areas you're still short of info and I'll see what I can do to fix it for you.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk