Shoulder Dislocation

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by buchzdoa, Nov 7, 2009.

1. buchzdoa

buchzdoa Regular Member

I dislocated my arm in a non-badminton related incident. I have seen professional care and it is currently healing. The physician also told me that once I've dislocated my arm once to expect more dislocations in the future. Badminton is one of my favorite hobbies and I wish to continue to play. What will I need to do to continually play without the fear of my injury coming back around?

2. philes

philes Regular Member

Guest House Owner
    After your rehab you will have to do undertake a programme with exercises to strenghten and stabilise your shoulder specially your rotator cuffs.If that doesn't work you would have no option but to undertake a shoulder arthroscopy operation where the loose ligaments would have to be reattached and shortened together with the anterior joint capsule, combined with a firm refixation of the labrum to the glenoid. The sutures are secured by resorbable bony anchors. Technically these procedures have reached a high standard and are giving very reliable results. After arthroscopic surgery postoperative pain is minimal and rehabilitation easy
    I myself after 40 years of playing badminton at competitive level and chronic pain in my right shoulder have had a complex shoulder reconstruction surgery 3 years ago in Germany .It was successful and today i play without any pain and can smash as hard as before

Good luck

3. buchzdoa

buchzdoa Regular Member

thanks a bunch for the reply. does this operation cost a a lot? approximately how long does it take for a full recovery before getting back into sports?

4. philes

philes Regular Member

Guest House Owner
    My operation cost about USD 25,000 but it was for a complex shoulder reconstruction surgery .If you have to be operated on just to stabilse your shoulder joint it might be simpler and cheaper but i have no idea of the tarif is in the USA.If you want i can give you the contact details of the Dr and clinic in Germany where i was operated on if you want it
    My rehab took 6 months and i was able to start playing again immediately afterwards.
    However it was a soft start and i avoided packing too much force in the overhead shots specially the smash .All in all i was back into full swing say a year after the surgery