help!lack of aggresion

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alwayslolzzz, Nov 9, 2009.

1. alwayslolzzz

alwayslolzzz Regular Member

student
    i play mostly doubles. my problem is my partner lacks agression and it showed when we played in a tournament the other day. i work really good with him, but like i said the only thing is abiut his agression. any advise?

please don't tell me to change my partner. any other advise would be good.

2. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

What do you perceive as being lack of aggression? Does he need help in playing the correct shot and the right time, or is it that he doesn't seem bothered about winning or losing?

3. druss

druss Regular Member

I've had this issue in the past with a doubles partner, cost me a tournament final once. He just lacked the drive/energy/killer instinct that was needed to win. Too laid back and easy going. Basically he played the final in a tournament like it was a social game with friends.

I don't know if this was the cause or not but I noticed he really lacked focus. Maybe he just doesn't want to win as much as you?

4. alwayslolzzz

student
    its not that he doesn't have the drive. its just that his style of play lacks aggresion

5. druss

druss Regular Member

Then do a bunch of training for kills shots. Maybe it's because he's not comfortable with them?

6. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

Make him play Mixed Doubles...

Our coach makes us play everything... Singles, Doubles and Mixed Doubles... He says one has to play all 3 to become a well rounded player...
    For example, playing singles competitively ensures your fitness and footwork are in good shape...
    Playing Doubles helps improve attack... and the building shots to gain an attack..plus improves reaction and improves the quality of LIFT..
    Mixed Doubles helps one to improve court coverage and killing EVERY POSSIBLE opportunity...

Make him play Mixed Doubles... He'll learn the value of every point and wont waste an opportunity to attack..

7. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

well, like my gf said once: you can only change a guy if and when he wants to change :p

it has a lot to do with his playing style. I've played with ppl like this. Even with midcourt shots, they'd rather drop than smash, which is really frustrating.

My recommendation is talk to him about it and see how he feels. If he wants to change or add the extra dimention to his game, then devise a practice plan.

BUT, if he doesn't (or can't) want to change and you don't (or can't) change partner, my suggestion is adapt to his playing style. If he lacks offence, maybe you can beef up your defence.

8. alwayslolzzz

student
    but u can't seriuosly expect to win doubles defending. no one is that good. not even the pros. my partner will kill the shuttle if he can. but he plays too safe most of the time and don't take risks. he will lift the shuttle 50% of the time when recieving a serve. he keeps telling to lob or lift the shuttle more often. while i on the other hand go for extravagant shots when i can but only when i have analysed the situation. for example i will hit to an empty space even if i know it may be abit loose and i am out of position or i will cross net into the empty space when i am taking the shuttle low knowing it could be too high. somtimes it pays but somtimes it doen't. the extravagant shots are not for show but sometimes one just has to beleive in one's self and go for it (i am not saying i will net the shuttle back in front of him to be on the attack if i know my opponent is like 100x better than me).well that may be why my friends say i am the best and the worst out of the lot. my partner is somtimes just content to defend.

#8 alwayslolzzz, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  9. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

Your partner should not play doubles at all, in my honest opinion....
    Gaining the first attack is the most important aspect of doubles. You cannot give away the attack with a free lift, on a service.
    Best Solution : Ask him to attend training.... or just dont play doubles.

10. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    In my opinion, both you and your partner need to sit down and analyze both your strength and weakness. Make him aware your frustration about his style.
    Doubles is not just about techniques and strategy, u need to communicate and "click" with your partners. If not, even you put 2 top pros who never partner before in doubles, they will still lose. Try to ask another person to record some videos when both of you are playing. then go back watch and analyze with your partner. It worked wonders.
    As much as you don't want to admit it, after all efforts, advice, training all thrown in, if your partner still don't play well with you, it is time to really think of switching partners. (last last last option, but it happens, even to pros)
    In summary, it takes BOTH of you to work things out in doubles. Not just one party, no matter the weaker ones or the stronger ones.

Just my 2 cents.

#10 tckang, Nov 12, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009