Get Used To Factory Strings First? Or Go Straight To The BG-80?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by !¿Clue?!, Nov 9, 2009.

1. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Going to pick up an Armortec 250 @ Sportchek this weekend. Most likely going to ask the stringer to have it at 23Lbs. My question is since this is a low end Armortec series racket, is the factory strings already tensioned to around 21-23Lbs? Should I at least get used to my AT250 first with the factory strings, or go to the stringer and get it replaced with the bg-80 before my upcoming tournament next week? I used to have BG-65 on my old Carbonex and I think the BG-80 would be a great upgrade for myself since I feel I have improved greatly from High School to College level play. Mind you still an intermediate though. Thoughts?

Thank You

:)

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    A recommendation for you is to not shop at sport check. If you do a search you will know why. Two main reasons is that the price is too high that you can find the racket cheaper else where and the stringers are not good (as in, they have broken rackets).

3. druss

druss Regular Member

Agreed, I used to work at sportcheck myself and would recommend that you stay away from them.

I'm sure there are tons of good racket shops in Ontario that our fellow members here can recommend.

As for the strings. If you're going to get it restrung then do it when you buy it as most of the specialty racket stores will cut you a deal on the string/stringing for buying a racket.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u can buy the at250 with factory string if sport chek is good deal but dont get them to do stringing.

6. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Yeah most wouldn't know how to string properly anyway. I know a guy on my varisty team who had his done at Sportchek and the strings snapped:eek:
    As for prices they are cheaper then most stores here from where i'm from.
    The Armortec 250 is only $80 CAD at Sportchek (low end mind you) (Badmintonalley selling it for $95, plus shipping over $100 to Canada)
    Nanospeed 100 is $60 CAD at Sportchek (At the local badminton store in Hamilton, near my college it's $80)
    Those prices are much cheaper then buying online + the shipping.
    Not into buying more than $100 rackets, but need to upgrade from a carbonex to something relatively new but cheap at the same time meeting my needs for badminton:)
    Any other thoughts for my question?
    Thanks
    http://www.sportchek.ca/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3758102
    Not the greatest in high end rackets here. Badminton not as popular in big box sport stores:eek:

#6 !¿Clue?!, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Have you tried Maxsports? They are in Toronto, Ontario. They are a Yonex Authorized Dealer.

8. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Damn expensive, but ill stick to Sportchek/local badminton shop;)
    Toronto is about an hour away but with gas prices and all, it's a journey for me:D
    Plus had some bad experience with Toronto drivers lol. Sorry getting a little outta hand here:eek:

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you're any kind of serious player (i.e. you have had rackets restrung regularly and have a preferred setup), the factory string is literally worthless. There's no point "getting used to the racket" with it because the racket will change completely when you use your usual tension and string (unless you actually play BG63 at 18 lbs:D). Put some BG80 in and never look back!

Factory jobs on bottom-end stuff I can understand, but who's going to get an Arc-Z and take it to court off-the-shelf:confused:. Last time I got a factory-strung racket (my old Arc 10), there was a knot OUTSIDE the frame - couldn't cut THAT bed out fast enough:mad:.

10. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

i've heard low end rackets are quiet crap, i'd recommend going for a higher end racket... maybe apacs, quiet a few people brought from this guy http://stores.ebay.com/racquetsportsproshop and found it great, i just got my lethal 60 from him

11. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

If the racket is brand new, 23lbs is okay, you should try roughly 1.5 lbs lower than what you usually use so that the frame is stable with the tension. This is if you really take care of your racket.
    As for some, you can just string to the required tension straight away (24-26) not a problem.
    As for factory strings, they are weak so if your confortable at playing at 22+ tension then i'd replace it.
    For bg65 or bg80, i'd go for 80 if your a smash type player. BG65 feel's well thick and soft feeling, doesn't really appeal to me on armortecs.

12. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member

Sorry, my reply got deleted. I will PM you for professional opinionated answer to your stringing query.

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Eh I did with my ns9900 (because my mum wouldn't let me change the strings:mad:) for the first month and the strings were ok but they started to wear fast so I took a pair of scissors and cut them.
    You are better of changing the strings to something better (BG80, BG65 etc) and upping the tension to 22-24lbs depending on the string you pick

14. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    restring.... factory string is crap...

15. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    I'm to cheap to cut of the factory string... I hate playing with it, but at the same time I feel like it's unnecessary to spend $25 a restring when you have strings :p

Well, anyway, now I only have two raquets left with the factory string on it, one AT900t and one no-name brand...

Well, I don't play with the AT so probaby won't be restringed for a while ;P

16. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    How on earth did u get an AT900T with factory strings? :confused::confused:

17. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Depending which market, I'm assuming it the UK, the high-end rackets do come with BG-65 on them if I recall correctly.

18. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

some stores any where string them with bg 65 before purchase

like how i got my MP45 with bg 65 already strung
    my friend got his NS7000 with bg65 also already strung
    i also saw other rackets like Arc 10 and AT700 pre strung to

19. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

for those stores i think they order it without string and string it when ppl buy them... if your racket doesn't have the "YY" sign on the string then it's definitely not factory strings...

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes - all high-end come with BG-65Ti and low-end with BG63 in UK; you can't get an empty Yonex frame for love nor money:mad:.